main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Who do you want to direct Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. Guybrush

Guybrush Jedi Master star 3

Oct 18, 2001
    Do any of you feel people have read it and turned it down based on what they read? Do any of you feel any a list directors have turned it down based on a reading? Maybe it's more phantom menace then empire...so they decide to pass.

2. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    What do you mean by nextgen and why would it matter?

3. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I think this is needless paranoia. Bird is busy, Abrams is busy, Spielberg probably doesn't want to tread on any toes (and really isn't right for the job in any case). Even if the story sounded TPM-ish, that can easily be tweaked as the script is developed.

I just don't see a reason for concern.

FinleySlade likes this.
  4. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    No chance. The plot details of Star Wars are highly classified. Like I said above, they are not gonna show it to every director who is interested. They are still working on it for Chrissake! And besides this is Star Wars. Star Wars does not audition for directors. Directors audition for Star Wars. It's highly likely that the only things any director will see will be the shooting script in pre-production after he or she has the job.

Varactyl and Echo-07 like this.
  5. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I know it's not well-loved, but I always thought Howard did a good job on Willow.

6. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    I love Willow!
    Shoehorn him into the ST!
    Warwick Davis ain't got **** to do since Harry Potter is over.

7. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    “It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers." - George Lucas

It matters because his statement (made in the press release about the Lucasfilm sale to Disney) automatically excludes filmmakers of his generation...his peers.

8. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    The Trevorrow thread has a new youtube clip that leads me to believe he is at the very least on the short list.

9. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
  10. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    Ah I see. But I don't think Ron Howard is of the same generation as Lucas. He's close, but technically next I would think. Plus I wouldn't read too much into Lucas' quote of passing to the nextgen filmmakers. He'll get whoever he and Disney think is the best fit no matter what generation.

11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Mate, I love Willow. Like really, really love it. Great fantasy film.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  12. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I like it too. A lot of fun. Madmartigan is the best Han Solo since Han Solo.

13. GeekFurious

GeekFurious Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2012
    Well, by all reports this treatment exists, and we haven't heard about anyone looking at the treatment and passing on it. We've just heard from people who have come up as potential directors in the media. Many of who were already committed well into 2014.

14. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    It looks like Bird won't be doing Star Wars! According to a tweet from his official twitter account. He was my personal favorite choice...At least there is still hope my next favorite, Joe Johnston :) Although I would honestly still be happy if the heavily rumored Colin Trevorrow got the gig.

FinleySlade likes this.
  15. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Disappointing to hear that Brad Bird doesn't want to do it :(

16. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm not disappointed that Brad has dropped out. Honestly, I thought his Mission Impossible was boring, it just felt like it was going through the motions. I realise it's deemed as the best of the series, but after I saw it I just couldn't get into it. MI3 is the best one, JJ Abrams.

17. Guybrush

Guybrush Jedi Master star 3

Oct 18, 2001
    I don't think it's paranoia to consider people have turned down a treatment. Happens all the time.
    I mean it would fit the timeframe of when they said they were shopping the treatment to a list directors.

I believe lucasfilm already had its writer director selected before the sale to Disney. So I think everything has been in place for some time. Just my opinion. But Disney might have nixed the lucasfilm idea for director and that is why we are hearing all these rumors. Disney is shopping the treatment around for a director Disney feels comfortable with.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Spielberg probably doesn't want to upset Lucas by doing a better SW Trilogy than he managed to do :p

I'm not sure Disney is deciding on the director, did they do tht for Avengers or the related movies? Do they do that with Pixar?
    They only determine what is made, not how it is made or who makes it they leave that to the studios.

19. Chrono85

Oct 31, 2012
    Brad Bird tweeted that he is not doing Star Wars, and Trevorrow just tweeted this to Brad Bird "You may be second in line, depending on your tolerance for tent living. I'll bring the soup thermos." That sounds like it could be a cryptic hint that Trevorrow will not be directing E7 either, but maybe it does not mean that. With this, and Mark Miller apparently confirming that Vaughn dropped out of x-men to work on Kickass 2 and Secret Service and not Star Wars, it seems like a lot of the rumors are beginning to look more and more like just that 'rumors'. Unless Secret Service is a codename for E7, and it probably isn't, then that still leaves Joe Johnston, so I have my fingers crossed, although Brenda Chapman could be a good choice too :).

20. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Brenda Chapman already tweeted out that she won't be directing the movie.

21. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't know about the full treatment being read by the directors... but I'd bet there's at least a synopsis they're reading.

22. Chrono85

Oct 31, 2012
    Maybe Joe johnston is on the short list then :) With all of these directors suddenly tweeting that they will not, or might not be directing the movie, maybe this means that a director has been officially chosen? :). Also Vaughn apparently wants to do Secret Service movies at 2- 3 year intervals, making into a series, so if that is true then that could be further reason to believe that he won't be involved in Star Wars.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  23. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Occupy Hollywood Boulevard

24. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    I'd bet against it. Nobody knows a damn thing except Lucas and Arndt. Maybe Kennedy knows a little something. Maybe. This is a bigger secret than the plot of a new Harry Potter book. There is no way anyone is seeing anything. That's why we have all these ridiculous Vader-resurrecting rumors, because no one knows ****.

25. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Yes. Really underrated.