main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Colin Trevorrow to direct Ep7 - interesting quotes

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    People keep saying that Trevorrow has stated that he hates the prequel movies, but I have not actually seen this alleged interview anywhere. Anyways, Lucas did not have much experience before Star Wars, and Kershner did not have experience with this type of movie, but they both did a great job, obviously :).

Echo-07 and FinleySlade like this.
  2. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    If people in the know have seen enough to suggest he's the guy for the job then I'm fine with that. As I said earlier, it's not as if Irvin Kershner was considered a hotshot pick. Does it particularly matter if has issues with the PT? So long as he doesn't do anything to sh**can them overtly (which would never get past LFL anyway), I'm not so sure it does. To maximise the Box Office on this one they need to be hitting all the OT buttons to erase the media perception (deserved or not) that SW of late (ie the PT) has lost it's way.

Agree with people pointing out that GL himself hadn't done much to suggest he had SW in him.

3. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Actually I think it's a really smart choice, being predictable and hiring a JJ Abrahams or his ilk would be the EASY thing to do.

yodasbum and FinleySlade like this.
  4. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Well as the creator such standards don't really apply to GL.

Still I don't need it to be JJ but would I like someone with some quality scifi work under their belt, yes I would.

FinleySlade likes this.
  5. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    And if there's one thing a relative unknown like Trevorrow would have, it's hunger. Passion to get this right is going to be massively important.

6. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    That quote doesn't seem like it may be Star Wars, it's possible it's the Justice League movie, the upcoming Batman reboot, so on.

7. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    It definitely sounds like some kind of 'franchise' or 'property' that has a massive following - superhero/comic book stuff, Star Wars or something on that scale. But if you read the two quotes from him it really does look like he's talking SW.

FinleySlade likes this.
  8. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I think the world has changed a great deal since 1978, or whenever principle shooting began on TESB, so I doubt that people knew a whole lot about the behind the scenes operations at that time like we do now with the evolution of media and the Internet. So it is highly likely there was far less fan speculation about the director of TESB than there is now with Episode VII, so the two can't really be compared. Only in hindsight can we say "oh Irvin Kershner was a nobody, a choice way out of left field to direct TESB." We have no idea. I think Kathleen Kennedy's resume speaks for itself as to whether she knows how to pick the right director for the job. Whether it is Colin Trevorrow or not, in KK and her little Yoda (GL) I trust.

9. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Possible, as it's already been reported that he's met with George Lucas on it.

I'm willing to bet it's between him, and Joe Johnston at this point.

10. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    I was hoping for Mathew vaughn

Darth_Kiryan likes this.
  11. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    There are amazing opportunities...

A Star Wars film? Sounds likely.

Episode VII? Strong possibility but maybe it could be another potential film in the Saga. However, I like the idea of someone so left field.

FinleySlade likes this.
  12. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Spot on that had the internet been around in 1978 people would have been questioning Kersh as director. Not to mention Kasdan as writer.

13. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    I trust LFL to pick the right candidate for the job.

TreborSabreon and FinleySlade like this.
  14. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    No thanks I hated first class. All the females go bad and the only black guy dies first (despite having a power that explicitly makes him unkillable). Leaving Straight White Males as the only heroes. Yeah no thanks. Not to mention in no way faithful to source material at all.

15. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    It does seem like this is our guy and if he is its pleasing to see LFL sticking with the tradition Lucas himself started of inexperianced, little known directors making the movies.

That said his alledged attitude to the PT is VERY concerning. I wonder if he told GL the PT is horse **** when he went for his interview? [face_laugh]

Billy_Dee_Binks likes this.
  16. Spork111

Spork111 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    I really think you guys are on to something - the more I read about this rumor, the more I could see it happening. It's exactly the sort of thing Lucas would do. He's always really seen himself as an independent filmmaker and has been outspoken about his disdain for the Hollywood corporate machine - this may be his way of getting one final say in making sure the SW films maintain some sort of artistic integrity. Lucas also has a track record of trying to get unknown talent - just look at his casting decisions. In addition, I think Lucas and Kennedy would be reluctant to hand it to a big-name director for fear of the director becoming a tyrant and overstepping his bounds - Lucas has said in the past (I believe in the ROTJ commentary, actually) that the SW films are structured more like television. Normally films are a director's medium, where the director is the "autuer" in charge; but hiring a relative unknown may keep that person more beholden to the wishes of "the boss" (the executive producer, aka Kennedy, and maybe to a lesser extent Lucas). Also, this would seem to jive with Lucas' statement about passing SW on to the "next generation" of filmmakers. It all seems to fit into place to me, no matter which way I look at it. All I can say is: I hope this guy is good. Maybe I'll check out Safety Not Guaranteed.

17. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I know this might hack some of you guys off and I really don't mean it too - I honestly think getting a guy who doesn't like the PT is not a bad thing at all. If there is a cross section of the fan base that loves only the PT and hates the OT it can't be that big. If he loves the OT he'll be going for an OT vibe. Is that bad?

Cantina Bassist likes this.
  18. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    I don't think he can openly criticise them even if he didn't enjoy them, however there are exactly zero quotes from him suggesting that so far.

19. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    An "OT vibe" would be OK, but I have no desire to see the OT remade, which is what I've always thought a lot of the PT haters wanted to the PT to be.

I want to ST to be its own thing. Not OT, not PT. But live as its own entity. Seeing a 2015 version of Star Wars 77 would bore me to be honest.

Billy_Dee_Binks and FinleySlade like this.
  20. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    For anyone wanting proof of Trevorrow's prequel dislike, here it is:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/interviews/colin_trevorrow.html

Despite my affection for the PT, I don't actually disagree with his larger point: ANH felt like a hotrod taped together and made from scraps (just like the Millennium Falcon), whereas AOTC (IMHO the most clinical-looking, if only for the early use of digital) was antiseptic like the Kaminoan cloning facility. I'd very much like to see a return to the feel of ANH.

krtmd, Danzo and FinleySlade like this.
  21. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree with that. And I'm not saying that he should or that the PT necessarily deserves all the grief it gets. I just think if there was one trilogy that the ST perhaps needs to echo more closely, it's the OT. For the marketing, the media and the general public, more OT and less PT is the way forward.

G-Fett, totally with you. I want the ST to be its own beast.

22. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    Well you could interpret that as being a statement about the look/feel of the PT vs the OT.

23. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I think the horse**** part is where he goes beyond pure look.

24. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    See this could be my problem with this guys attitude to the PT.

He wanted the PT to look and feel like the Star Wars he grew up with, but the Star Wars he grew up with was set in a different time and place to the PT.

Why should the Star Wars universe, before the ravages of the Clone Wars, the Empire taking over and the Rebellion, look like it does after all those intergalactic catastrophe's? There is a progression, a downward spiral, that the Star Wars universe goes through from TPM to ANH. As would be expected during such an extended period of strife.

Did Europe in 1925 look exactly like it did in 1945? Of course not. Europe in 1925 was a booming, sophisticated, artistic, romantic, vibrant place. Nothing like the smashed up, beaten up, bombed out grey shell it was after five years of war and dictatorship.

If Trevorrow doesn't understand why the PT looked as it did, the fate of the ST worries me to be honest. And assuming the ST is set thirty years after the OT, I would certainly hope/expect for a look and feel closer to the PT than the OT, otherwise it would seem that after 30 years very little progress has been made in the Galaxy and most of the inhabitents of the GFFA would probably be thinking they were better off under Palpatine! [face_laugh]

25. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    I won't believe anything til official word is given by Lucas. This stuff happens all the time. Everyone was wondering who would direct TPM. Everyone was wondering who was gonna direct the Hobbit. Darth Vader is gonna be in episode VII. Please. It's all bluster till we get official word.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.