main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Colin Trevorrow to direct Ep7 - interesting quotes

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Agreed. Pretty Darn Obvious.

2. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    It’s clear that the horses##t comment is him talking about the films themselves. I don't have a problem with getting someone who doesn't like the PT, but to use that term to describe them stinks of fanboyish hyperbole and, more importantly, a bit of a disservice to Lucas. Still, unless he can see into the future, I'm sure when he made that comment he had no idea that he could be directing a new Star Wars film. Still, his comment condemns the prequels to the scrap-heap, where they truly don't belong.

I doubt very much Kennedy or Lucas has seen that interview. I'm sure this guy wouldn't want them to. Still, I do think he is an incredibly interesting choice.

3. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    One thing I am pleased about (again, if this is our guy) is this:

"in which he claims his next project will involve him tackling a **mythology** with a substantial fanbase"

I'm pleased he used the word mythology to describe Star Wars, rather than sci-fi or "action" This is exactly as it should be. Star Wars is first and foremost a myth. A fantasy. I see so many people talking about Star Wars as being sci-fi and its just not right. The fact he understands the mythological aspect of Star Wars makes me thinks he is at least on Lucas's wave length, even if he doesn't think much to Lucas's artisitc choices.

4. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I think people worrying about his PT comments, if this is about SW then it sounds like he won't disrespect the PT -

“I can’t speak with any specificity as to what the next thing will be. There are amazing opportunities that have arisen as a result of this. One of them, I will say, will probably create a good deal of ire against me on the Internet when people find out what it is. So, I just want to say in advance that I promise you, for all those who love the mythology that I will be tackling, trust that I love it as much as you do. And I will respect it, and hopefully make it not suck.”

5. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Fine Space Fantasy. Although I think it gets called Sci-Fi because anything that involves using ships to travel through space gets such a name.

6. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Preproduction concept art will ensure the look of the universe will be appropriate for the time period--it's not like Trevorrow will have much power to enforce his own aesthetic on set design, etc. What I'm hoping for is a return to the carefree, scrappy feel of the OT, and fresh eyes may give us just that.

7. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I wonder if Colin Trevorrow ever posted in the Bashers Sanctuary?

Wouldn't it be embarrassing if he'd been banned from the JC at some point? [face_laugh]

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    If he's a banned basher, what's more likely to be embarrassing is the final product.

9. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah well said. I still don't get how people don't know the difference.

10. Eddie

Eddie Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2001
    Another connection. Safety not guaranteed is from the same producers as little miss sunshine.

FRAGWAGON and Echo-07 like this.
  11. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Good find.

12. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I saw Safety Not Guaranteed, it was fun and a cool little movie. I felt connected to the main characters and I dug the ending. I love Aubrey Plaza and even Jake Johnson gave a good performance and I don't usually care for the guy. Not saying I would be pleased with this guy getting the nod but I wouldn't be super mad about it either.

13. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    First off why is his dislike of the PT mean he's a bad choice to be director of Ep7? To me, that just means he'll make a movie that's more in line with the tone of the OT. His inexperience means little. He's fresh blood, and a next gen director. Also, Lucas liked his work on that stupid little indie movie he did.

Also a trailer for a film isn't usually made by the director, the people who make the trailers do that. So blame them if you were uninspired. Perhaps actually watching the movie will help.

Echo-07 likes this.
  14. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I remeber when it came out this past summer I thought it looked interesting. But I don't go to the movie anymore, so it has to be super-special to get me to spend the money; I've been burned on total crap wayyy too many times.

15. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    What I think is most interesting is that hiring someone like Trevorrow immediately undermines any suggestion that SW and LFL have gone all Disneyfied and Hollywood. This keeps SW in the realms of the '70s maverick spirit that was its genesis.

LANDO_ROCKS, DarthMane2 and Echo-07 like this.
  16. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I run a movie theater I see so many movies every year. Even the bad ones lol.

17. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I was a part-time projectionist in 1998-1999 (as a side job.) I got to piut TPM together and screen at midnight. Good fun. BTW -- it was the busiest screening (lots of friends and family) we had for any midnight film I can recall and this was before the midnight showings became vogue.

JainaSoloYJK and Billy_Dee_Binks like this.
  18. Neo_3

Neo_3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    But more chance of Lucas controlling this behind the scenes say compared to Fincher directing.

19. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Okay, I just listened to the whole interview to get the vibe from this guy. Here are my impressions:

1- This interview took place back around the beginning of June, just before Saftey was released nationwide.
    2- I'm about 99% sure he is referring to Star Wars at the end
    3- Because when he was speaking no one knew that gears were turning at Lucasfilm -- he made the comment knowingly, that it was HUGE news, yet casually
    4- This is around the same time Kathleen Kennedy came on board

Lastly, CT states "mythology he will be working." Now that can mean superheroes although that has alot less of an association when you're talking to a mass audience as he clearly was referring to.

20. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Hmmm.....if he flat-out hates the Prequels my respect for him isn't as great as it might be, but...he seems to be a fresh, young fellow who knows about independant filmmaking and story structure. That being said, if he does it I'll reserve judgement. If he doesn't I won't complain.

21. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Pu-leeze. Who is this guy, who heard of him before this all came up? I just don't care. I'm hoping a more experienced filmmaker is chosen. If it pleases you, enjoy the prospect. I'm not impressed.

22. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    I have to agree with this. One thing I loved about the OT was how it felt like a universe that was actually lived in. Yes it was high tech compared to our own, but it felt real. When watching the PT even areas such as Tattooine just don't have that vibe. The homes and places certainly don't feel as clean as Kamino for example, but they do feel much less realistic.

23. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    If Trevorrow is indeed The One, I hope his comments mean he will not rely as much on digital images as Lucas did during the PT, and that he'll emphasize actual sets and models like in the OT (and like Peter Jackson did with Lord of the Rings movie trilogy). In other words, I hope he'll use CGI to improve physical sets and objects rather than to replace them entirely.

24. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    The PT used more models than the OT.

25. dc315

dc315 Jedi Knight

Nov 18, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.