main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Episode VII Release Date

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Gobi-1, Oct 31, 2012.

?

When do you think Episode VII will come out?

1. May of 2015.

65.2%
  2. Another month during summer 2015.

12.1%
  3. Thanksgiving 2015.

2.3%
  4. Christmas 2015

6.1%
  5. Will be delayed until 2016.

14.4%
  1. Brian5475E2

Brian5475E2 Jedi Knight

Oct 30, 2012
    IMDB originally had a July 2015 date, but has since changed to 2015.

2. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    What a tease the 2015 release date would be...:(

3. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    All the distribution companies, including Disney, want to dump 2423424 blockbuster films in 2015. Let's see who makes the most money. ;)

I think Avatar 2 is also due in 2015 as well.

4. Obi-Wong

Obi-Wong Jedi Knight

Jan 30, 2012
    I would prefer May 2015, as the rest of the movies, as my birthday is May 23rd, and all the previous releases have been great birthday presents. :D

5. segask

segask Jedi Master star 1

Jun 15, 2002
    well said:)

6. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Totalfilm has the UK release date at 17th July 2015 which makes sense to keep it well clear of The Avengers 2.....since Star Wars now has world wide release dates it would mean the USA would get it July 17 aswell .

7. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'd say May of 2015 but a holiday release would make me much happier.

8. Neo_3

Neo_3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    There are staggered release dates.

9. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004

Release dates aren't really staggered anymore. Especially not for summer blockbusters. If they are, it’s usually no more than a few weeks. There's no way it would be released in May in America, and then in July everywhere else. Thankfully those days are over. I remember the agonising wait in 1999 for TPM to be released in the UK. Piracy plays a part, too. Whenever Episode 7 is released, you can bet your life it will be released everywhere at the same time.

Also, I think I know where Total Film got the release date from. All through last week the IMDB page for Episode 7 had that release date. Its since been removed.

10. Neo_3

Neo_3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    Everywhere else? It just the U.K. one country. The Avengers opened in Japan in August. Piracy is always a problem didn't stop Avatar making 207M OW DOM.

11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004

Everything opens in Japan later. Don't know why, but its only Japan and sometimes China that befall that fate. If you look at all the summer films released over the last few years you will see that they are all released globally (that's what I meant by everwhere) at pretty much the same time, give or take a week or two. Star Wars will be no different.

12. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    The New Rumour posted on Theforce.net has the release date of May 29th 2015 , gives plenty of clearence away from the Avengers 2 .....it really is the only date in May 2015 it can be............

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah May makes the most sense.

14. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Honestly? There has never been a doubt. Star Wars OWNS the Month of May. Everyone knows that. ;)

JM_1977 likes this.
  15. Darth_Quintonis

Darth_Quintonis Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    I'm putting my money on May 2015 as well. I have this feeling that they have been in production for quite a while already, maybe even filming with the original three for a while. ;)

16. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    They'd be stupid to move it out of May. It'd be breaking tradition

Darth_Quintonis likes this.
  17. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    The only real option they have is late-May 2015 even if it is tradition.

18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That would be my 29th birthday - I wouldn't mind :cool:

19. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I vote 2016.

There's so much to do.

If Episode VII follows TPM's timeline (both films are huge productions starting from new ground) then cameras should start rolling July 2013, no later. It's April now. Ummmm....yea.

Have any of the Leavesden or Sydney studios been rented out? Oh wait, this is JJ Abrams, not George Lucas. Where does Abrams like to shoot his indoor stuff?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999

I will be 36. Sigh, to be young again...

21. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999

2017 would be symbolic. 40 years apart. Also, are they going to be 2 or 3 years apart. I recall the announcement about a SW every 2 years or so but I wasn't sure if that was in reference to the ST or the standalones afterward.

22. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Cameras will probably start rolling in the next three months if they're following the timeline of the prequels and the originals did with filming. I'm not sure why people think there's not enough time and it will be "rushed" when we know VII has been in the works since mid-2012. All of 2014 will be dedicated to post-production.

If that's the case, then I can't begin to say how excited I am to know that it's possible that we might be getting our first "inside" shots from the developing sets in the next few months.

23. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999

Hi!

I agree with your timeline and I've mentioned it several times over the last few months.

Why the certainty over a Summer production start? We haven't heard anything about pre-production, except for casting and the script. Maybe Disney is just being more tight-lipped than Lucasfilm was back in 1997. *shrug*

I'm trending #2016StarWarsForever

24. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I think 2016 is reasonable especially if they want to get a good new cast. I cant see them filming this summer because lets be honest...you dont cast the next generation of Star Wars in 2 months *yes there is actually going to be new people. A lot of people seem to forget that and think once you get the OT cast back you can get right into filming*. So summer filming is out of the question unless they really rush it. Casting these days for major films can take months *hell look at GOTG. That film took legit almost half a year till they cast a single person. Casting is a long and brutal process that isn't something you rush to meet a certain filming deadline if you want to make a good film

25. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Taking all things into account, if it WERE to be pushed back to 2016 (entirely plausible) then I think a concrete announcement would've been divulged by now. Considering the huge interest in this film and the 2015 date stated by Disney. If there were genuine concerns at what stage the story, script, potential casting was in, surely they wouldn't leave us hanging until a later date? I tend to believe the script and story is nigh on done. Maybe give the script another 2-4months. The characters are set and casting began sooner than you think, but won't be a rushed process obviously. Building the sets will begin in the summer with shooting to commence either later this year or the beginning of 2014. That leaves a year and a half to complete shooting and post production so its definitely possible. But if it were to be put back? Sure id be (very) disappointed but not disheartened because it'd mean they're taking their time to produce the best film they possibly can. Which is all good.