main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Just got the following:

Discussion in 'Literature' started by movieguy12, Nov 13, 2012.

1. movieguy12

movieguy12 Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2012
    So yesterday I decided to buy some books after going to 4 used book stores and a local Barnes and noble I walked away with the following. Let me know if any is missing or should be added :).

Darth Plagueis
    The Bane trilogy
    The force Unleashed
    The old republic- revan
    Death Star
    The rise of Darth vader
    Shadows or mindor
    Shadows of the empire
    The trawn trilogy
    Fate of the Jedi-outcast
    New Jedi order-vector prime
    Legacy or the force- betrayal

That's all so far. :).

I'll also checkout the thread at the top soon. Thanks :)

2. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Well, you didn't absolutely need The Force Unleashed or Death Star. I'd add Darth Maul Shadow Hunter, Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, Outbound Flight and I, Jedi. Good list though.

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  3. movieguy12

movieguy12 Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2012
    Well I kinda went with a general consensus on those two. More people recommended them than not lol. And yea I was thinking about shadow hunter but hadn't decided. I am currently half way through Darth plagueis and I like it! Not a lot of action but I like the sith history and the manipulation. But also like that its a backstory to the two Sith Lords. I am really wanting something about a awesome Jedi with som action and more about the light side or the force in general. Maybe a little history of the Jedi.

4. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    The entire X-wing series (Stackpole and Allston) are very good reads - also highly popular IIRC.

5. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    You should get Spectre of the Past and Vision of the Future too.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I have no idea, I wasn't there.

7. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    You'd be better off reading NJO, LOTF and FOTJ by themselves rather than read the first book of each, considering they are kind of sequential series and it would be very confusing

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think I have Shadow Hunter on my Kindle but I haven't read it yet. The first chapter that showed up at the tail end of Plagueis was pretty interesting.

I'm not a Thrawn fan but if you end up liking that trilogy, I'd definitely add Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future.

I second Yoda: Dark Rendezvous and I'd also add Labyrinth of Evil and Shatterpoint.

You definitely have a good list.

9. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    If you like the Thrawn Trilogy you should pick up Survivor's Quest. It goes well with Outboud Flight, but I would read Quest first.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That said, while there would be an element of spoilers- reading the first of each might help the reader decide if they like the basic conceit of the story and want to know more.

11. movieguy12

movieguy12 Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2012
    ^thats why I bought the first of each series. To determine if I'd like to continue them or not.

12. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    it would be very difficult to judge NJO & LOTF, in particular, from just the first books

rumsmuggler likes this.
  13. movieguy12

movieguy12 Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2012
    True true, but if I like the first book it would compel me to read more. The same could be said about any series books. :). We all have our own taste and likes and dislikes you know?

14. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    There will be many a howl of protest, but I will throw in my support for Death Troopers. I found it to be an enjoyable read, so if anything, get it for that.

Brenapp likes this.
  15. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I enjoyed it as well. Thought Red Harvest was ok too. Usually not what I go for, but it was a nice change for a Star Wars book.

Brenapp likes this.
  16. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    NOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

17. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    And there's one...

18. movieguy12

movieguy12 Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2012
    Bwahahaha I just imagined that horrendous howl!

TrakNar likes this.
  19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Not quite. The NJO is 19 books long and written by about half as many authors. The first book especially is different because of early installment weirdness as well, and that was that author's only contribution to the series.

Betrayal is a bit of a better gauge, though.

20. movieguy12

movieguy12 Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2012
    The thing is throughout my years I've unfortunately done "research" on Star Wars. And so I know alot of major spoilers of the Star Wars Literary Universe. So with that when I read that a major characters son becomes a sith and kills another characters son it intrigued me. Or that there's a jedi sith war happening in the appokalypse book that just came out. (I think that's what I read it was about, I could be wrong.) well those interest me. Now I may know the final outcome but I do not know the journey that led to each outcome. So that's why I also bought the first books of those series. To see if I'd like them but as you said 19 books different authors it could go either way for me. I could love books 1-6 hate books 7-9 and just accept the rest. But to each their own. :).

21. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I definitely have to second Shadow Hunter. Simply an amazing book. I think you should also pick up Shatterpoint, and the Courtship of Princess Leia when you have a chance. The Rise of Darth Vader is the end of what's known as The Dark Lord Trilogy. Each novel can stand on its own, but when read together it gives a nice look at the character of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader. So i'd also suggest getting the first two books, which are Labyrinth of Evil and the Revenge of the Sith novelization. The latter is in my opinion one of the best books in the entire series.

22. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Even with LOTF and FOTJ there are three different authors who write very differently from each other. I definitely found myself hating some and liking others just based on who wrote that particular novel.

23. movieguy12

movieguy12 Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2012
    So if I gathered correctly this is what I should get with my next visit to book stores.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter,
    Yoda: Dark Rendezvous,
    Outbound Flight
    I, Jedi.
    Spectre of the Past
    Vision of the Future
    Labyrinth of Evil
    Shatterpoint.
    Survivor's Quest
    Lost tribe of the jedi
    Cloak of Deception

24. movieguy12

movieguy12 Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2012
    I understand. I completely feel you. But a little too late now lol. I already bought them and will probably just read them untill I either don't like them and get bored or until I'm finished with the series. Lol. Ill force myself if I have too.

25. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Of the Zahn titles you've got, unless you've already read the synopses, I would recommend you do not read either Survivor's Quest or Outbound Flight until you've read Vision of the Future -- and then read SQ before OF. OF ties everything together and has something of a twist in it which could spoil the others!