main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Colin Trevorrow to direct Ep7 - interesting quotes

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Here it is - “@colintrevorrow: To clarify, there is another film we all love that I'm currently trying not to mess up. Odds I will direct Episode VII: 3720 to 1.”

You can lock this and my other thread mods.

2. Varactyl

Varactyl Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    "Never tell me the odds!"

Heh, now I'm curious what he's working on.

3. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    Mods - can you lock this thread now?

4. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Having seen Safety Not Guaranteed, I must say, as pleasant as the film was, I'm so over the indie hipster films about outsiders finding a connection that transcends societal convention. That's not a comment on Trevorrow necessarily, but these films are basically Edward Scissorhands with less snow and a lo-fi aesthetic.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  5. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    As Han solo said, while going in an asteroid field after escaping from Hoth:

Never tell me the odds...

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

6. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Any director that comes right out and calls the PT horse**** publically should not get a look. What if I publically called something a company did "crap" or "horse****", does anyone think they should or would hire me in the future?

I would prefer a director who digs the prequels and respects what Lucas did with them. But even if we get one that happens to not be crazy about them, hopefully it will be someone that keeps that sentiment to themselves. No need to get someone who openly badmouths them.

Arawn_Fenn and The-Eternal-Hero like this.
  7. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    Could be trying to persuade people he isn't when he is. Not likely but ya never know. That said, I wonder what this other film is that he's working on. Superhero film maybe?

8. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Willow sequel? :)

gregvader123 likes this.
  9. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    And I find suspicious that he denies the rumours using a very famous SW reference... Maybe he's the Han of the story and he'll make it through his asteroid belt?

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

10. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    In another tweet he flat out said he wasn't doing it. It's not going to be him.

11. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Going to reiterate: Though you may appreciate them, as is your right (god knows there are crap movies that I like, for various reasons), The PT is a set of three irrevocably broken, objectively bad films. They are poorly written, woodenly acted, and dramatically inert. The fact that we even need to have this conversation terrifies me.

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    No, no, this won't do. Hold onto your butts, it's merger time.

Edit: Well, that was fun. I'll leave this open for a bit since the tweet about not doing it is relatively fresh.

13. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    They have some flaws but some great moments too. I think all Star Wars movies have bouts of bad writing and acting. There's more of that in the PT, but the gap is not as huge as some fans think. The worst case is probably ROTJ.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    If you say it enough times, it becomes objectively true.

Objectively objectively objectively!

Count Yubnub likes this.
  15. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    mathew vaughn please

16. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    again. Who is this guy>

17. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    You can only say "objectively" to technical things like CGI, lighting, makeup or maybe editing. The rest is more or less subjective. I know enough people who think that all Star Wars are bad (not just the prequels). And they probably think they're being objective, too.

18. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    its was good info lando rocks.....he may have been in the running and now maybe not....From that interview I was conviced. at least we got to speculate.

19. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    Yep, the fun has started and we have a decade full of SW news and spoilers to debate and search for!

20. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    This.

21. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Yes, but if you can make objective statements about the technical elements that go into a film, then you can make objective statements about the film as a whole. I'll admit that the technicals are mostly fine in the prequels (although the overabundance of special effects without import is grating, and the editing of AOTC is atrocious). I will say that there are some great moments in all of the PT, but they are great in isolation; they fail to make the films transcend their flaws. The great moments are simply too few and too far between to overcome the flaws, many of which are inherent in the dramatic structure of the film. As it stands the PT is a collection of wonderful concept incompetantly executed. If Lucas had directed any films between 1977 and 1999 they may have come out better. I actually think you can see Lucas growing back into a halfway competent storyteller towards the end of ROTS (the scene where Anakin and Padme share a moment while separated by miles is actually quite affecting, and the Order 66 montage is Aces. I wish that Lucas had been present for the whole of the trilogy) But unfortunately he fumbles the ending with some "wrapping up" gobbledeygook and the strange randomness of Padme's death (for seemingly no motivated reason other than emotional manipulation--or more likely his fear that people would wonder why Padme is not in the OT). Filmmaking, like most arts, is a "use it or lose it" proposition. You become rusty without practice and it takes some time to warm up. If Lucas had consistently directed in the interim between the trilogies (And rally, this would have been the ideal time for him to engage in his "small, personal" films) and had remained a taut storyteller with his previous good sense for construction and plotting, the PT probably would have been a set of unqualified masterpieces, after all, the great directors seem to improve with age if they keep to their craft, but unfortunately it seems like Lucas was never interested in that. His mentality is, as he has often remarked, that of a toy maker and not of an artist.

FinleySlade likes this.
  22. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    That is all just your opinion DarthLowBudget, a bunch of us don't agree with you. Mmmmkay? Thanks

23. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    I have to go to sleep, otherwise I could dig up a bunch of old reviews accusing the OT (particularly Empire and Jedi) of pretty much the same flaws.

24. Spork111

Spork111 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    ^ To quote the Dude: "That's just, like, your opinion, man." It might be objectively true that a majority of people dislike the prequels, but art itself is a subjective thing. Now, to get away from semantics...

As for the topic: Well, there goes my theory. It seemed to make a certain degree of sense given the rumors flying, though. I kinda wonder what the guy's working on now, considering the rumor that he's been in meetings with Lucasfilm. It just seems so odd that this particular rumor would rise to begin with if there wasn't some truth to it, considering how unknown the guy is. But even if there was some truth to it earlier, perhaps Disney had the final word and put the nix on it- which would not surprise me at all. Well, I guess I'll go back to sticking with Joe Johnston and Jon Favreau...

25. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    There are amazing opportunities that have arisen as a result of this. One of them, I will say, will probably create a good deal of ire against me on the Internet when people find out what it is.

If he's not messing with the SW mythology, but he has plans that may make people mad at him, that to me sounds like one of the Big Three (or Four if you count Lando) is not going to make it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.