main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Who do you want to direct Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Well, Bob Iger did mention the treatments...

2. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Colin Trevorrow is out of the running -

“@colintrevorrow: To clarify, there is another film we all love that I'm currently trying not to mess up. Odds I will direct Episode VII: 3720 to 1.”

3. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    The wait is almost as exciting as casting of Anakin prior to AOTC.

4. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    JOE JOE JOE JOE JOE JOE JOE JOE

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Luke is the best Madmartigan since Madmartigan.

6. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Vaughn is suspiciously silent :)

7. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    Nah. Luke is Willow. Mad Martigan is Solo. Allora Dannon is Leia. The old bearded midget who tests Willow to be his apprentice is Obi Wan.

Lucas reused the characters and dynamics from Star Wars in Willow.

8. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Give it to Favs.

9. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    I think it's interesting Brad Bird waited till just this week to deny it I bet he was one of the two in the running. Michael Arndt's mutual connection with Pixar and Disney made it seem likely. The other connection Arndt had was to Colin Trevorrow since Little Miss Sunshine had the same producers as Safety not Guaranteed, but it's hard to imagine Disney risking billions of dollars on him. To me Christopher Nolan is seeming more likely cause of his connection with Alan Horn and the fact that he doesn't have his next movie announced.

10. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Nolan is a writer-director with a unique style. Star Wars would be too limited for him.

11. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    A little fuel for the fire, last year at the DGA Christopher Nolan hosted a Q&A with George Lucas called The Impact of Star Wars, there is a 1 hour video of the event on their site. It's interesting that the person who introduced Nolan literally says he is from "the next generation of filmakers that George has influenced" http://www.dga.org/Events/2011/04-april-2011/George-Lucas-on-Star-Wars.aspx

12. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Vaughn is very busy with two other films he is contracted to.

If Nolan directs this I will eat my hat.

EDIT: And not because I will be happy.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  13. Varactyl

Varactyl Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    A Nolan Star Wars, consider what that would be like.

"When the Republic is ashes you have my permission to die."

14. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    So, J.J Abrams is out, Spielberg is out, Bird is out, Colin Trevorrow is out, Matthew Vaughn is out, Guillermo Del Toro is out, Joss Whedon is probably out. Really running short on dream directors here.

15. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    No way Nolan is directing.

16. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    We still have Johnston, Howard, and FFC available............what about Frank Oz?

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  17. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    He is visionary enough to make something epic, but i don't know if he is visionary enough to make star wars.

Funny, actually, that he is good at making camera shots like George was......interesting parallel.

18. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    There's a better chance of Richard Marquand directing.

19. Guybrush

Guybrush Jedi Master star 3

Oct 18, 2001
    If I was a director, I want to know the story before I commit. They have to be showing the story to directors right now....or they already had a director locked up before the Disney buyout news.

20. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    ouch!

but as i said, don't think he has the chops to do Star Wars.

21. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    Believe me they don't care what a director wants. Lucas is guarding all the gates and holding all the keys if I may quote Morpheus. They will get a director then show that director a script or treatment or synopsis or what have you. Lucas is the same guy who had a fake page inserted into the ESB script so no one but he Kershner Hamill and James Earl Jones knew about Luke's parentage. He is not going to let anyone see anything til he has them under contract.

22. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I wouldn't think it's because they don't like the treatment. I think it's a few different things. Spielberg has given his reason-saying it's not the kind of movies he wants to make. JJ Abrams has a lot on his plate, as he often does nowadays. (Which I'm kinda glad cos although I like his movies, I don't really like his directorial style-too gimmicky IMO.) Other lesser known directors are probably nervous about stepping into those shoes...I mean...taking over the helm of Star Wars-a series that inspired most of these directors to get into the biz in the first place-that could be an intimidating undertaking, to some. It will take a really inspired director with some guts, who has a clear vision of where he wants to take the SW legacy, in a way that lives up to the rest of the saga.

23. Guybrush

Guybrush Jedi Master star 3

Oct 18, 2001
    If they don't care, maybe that's why directors are turning it down. If they said I couldn't look at the story and asked me to direct sight unseen....I would say no.
    I'm hoping these big time A list directors aren't politely turning down directorial duties after reading the draft. We will find out soon.

24. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    No one has turned down anything because as far as we know, no one has been offered anything. The only "directors" and I use that term very loosely save for Speilberg, that have "turned it down" were never offered anything by Lucas and Co to begin with. It was just dumb-ass rumors that they were replying to. Ben "the statue" Affleck turning it down? Get the **** outta my face Ben Affleck and go eat another taco.

25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm a little worried that they are doing this on such a short schedule that they're going to have to go with a second choice director. Because most really good directors tend to be in some stage of production on a film at any given time. So you usually have to plan further ahead of time.