main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Bantam Era Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The-Eternal-Hero, Nov 18, 2012.

1. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm curious about the Bantam post RotJ series. I tried in the 90's to get into them, but everything I picked up after "The Last Command" read like Star Trek fiction to me. Now I'm feeling nostalgic about that period.

I finished re-reading the "Thrawn Trilogy" (still great); I just tried to read "Truce At Bakura", and gave up after chapter three. I found it unreadable and completely alienated from SW.

Any recommends? I can't stomach KJA but there has to be something apart from Zahn that was good from that era.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    X-Wing series. You're welcome. [face_peace]

3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Black Fleet Trilogy.

4. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Hand of Thrawn duology is also by Zahn, if you haven't read that.

But other than Zahn and the x-wing books (add I, Jedi to that list) there's not really much else that is universally (more or less) accepted as "good"

Black Fleet Crisis is my favourite, but it can get boring and maybe a little "star trekky" at times.
    A lot of the Tales books are decent, in particular Tales of the Bounty Hunters. Speaking of which the Bounty Hunter Trilogy is very good IMO, especially if you like Boba Fett.

5. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    You found Truce at Bakura to be unreadable? Wow. :confused: Let's see, I second the X-Wing Series and I, Jedi, as well as the Hand of Thrawn Duology. Let me also recommend Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor and The Courtship of Princess Leia. I personally loved Children of the Jedi, but many don't so i'm wary to suggest that one. If you've gone through all of these and find yourself wanting something with a slower place check out The New Rebellion.

6. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    That's an awesome book.

It's not bantam, but it is the same time period, and if that's what you're interested in then you could check out Tatooine Ghost as well

7. General_Un-Co

General_Un-Co Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2010
    I will add another vote for both X-Wing and Black fleet. And also throw the "Han Solo trilogy" into the ring.

8. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    You do know about Ken, don't you?

9. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 1999
    Good grief. Here we go again.

10. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Anything Zahn, Stackpole, Allston. Also, one KJA book... The Illustrated Star Wars Universe (short stories all written from in-universe perspectives, describing life on the various original trilogy film worlds... accompanied by McQuarrie/Johnston/etc art. Very cool and fun.)

Oh, also, the short story anthologies. Tales From _________.

11. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I think I'm gonna try the X-Wing series. I read the first 12 comics last year and really loved them.

Thanks!!

BFC defeated me too. I've read all the Zahn's through the duology, the only one after that would be "Outbound Flight".

TAB was definitely way too "Trek-ish" for my SW tastes. It didn't "feel" like SW to me. And given that gap to fill, I would have come up with something better than "Seven Samurai" meets "V" :p

12. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    What's wrong with the Jedi Prince series. I think that series was the first EU books I evee read.

13. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Also, try the Young Jedi Knights and Junior Jedi Knights series. They're for young readers, obviously, but they've always felt very Star Wars-y to me.

14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Dark Greetings, my Dark Friend. The Moffs meeting onboard the Moffship for the Mofference will be Darkly pleased with your Dark praise for such a Dark series.

However if there is one Dark spot on what would be an otherwise Dark series it would be the lack of a Dark Hero and a suitably Dark Ending.

15. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Very nice lol

16. Beaker416

Beaker416 Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2004
    Another vote for the X-wing series. Stackpole does a great job in painting a great picture as to what's going on. Specifically as it pertains to battles and such. If you've ever played (and consequently, been a fan of, X-Wing Alliance, Tie Fighter vs X-wing or any of those sorts of games on the PC I think you'll dig it. I, Jedi is also pretty good. I dig the Jedi Academy trilogy, but in reading other posts I think that I might be in the minority on that one.

17. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    If you like Boba Fett, you could try the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy by K. W. Jeter. I've always been a Fett fan, so I really enjoyed them.