main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    I always knew you were a Jedi at heart.

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I'm totally opposite, played all 4 imperial stories, Sith Inquistor's is not good but ok to go through, but could not go through Jedi story.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, the Sith stories may be more entertaining, but so are clowns. Unsurprising, for the Sith dress in quite the comic fashion. Go to Coruscant and enter the Galactic Senate. Go to Alderaan and visit Castle Organa, or the ruins of the once proud Castle Panteer. See what the Republic stands for -- see all that history and grandeur, and ask yourself why you would serve the side that seeks the ruination of all of that.

The Sith are no more than pirates -- looting and pillaging and feeding off of the misery of others.

I'll have you know that the Jedi were once heroes. In those ancient days, the Jedi were legends worthy of epic song -- they fought to save civilization from the hordes of barbarians from the Outer Rim. They fought off the mongrel Sith, and the brutish Taung. They were the champions of the Republic.

But then, like all good things, the Jedi fell into decadence and disgrace. They became self-interested, hidebound monks instead of the loyal servants of the Republic that they once were. They betrayed and nearly murdered the Chancellor, and conspired to take over the Senate.

Fortunately, the Imperial Navy stepped in where the Jedi had faltered. Their history was just as long and just as storied as that of the Jedi, but they survived the Clone War with their honor and integrity intact, and became the new protectors of peace and justice in the galaxy.

Long live the Emperor!

4. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Nah, the Sith is more interesting, Korrbian and Kass are both cool.

Also, House Thul rocks.

5. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    So, rather than supporting the most ancient, revered Order of Chivalry in the Galaxy, an Order which predates both the Republic and the Republic navy, in its most desperate hour, you instead throw your support behind the last in a long line of rimkin religious fanatics--a man guilty by his own admission of treason against the Republic in the founding and support of the Separatist movement, and a man guilty of the brutal destruction of two of the most ancient and noble civilizations in the Core? Fie on you, sir. I for one will continue to stand behind the traditions and ideals upon which Galactic and Core civilization was founded, rather than participating in the continuing renovation of the Republic into a cheap copy of the ancient Sith Empire. I mean, have you looked at your logo, your dressage, and your navy lately? See any similarities with the Sith Empire you've been deploring?
    Long live the Jedi! Long live the Republic!

Esg likes this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I mean, have you looked at your logo, your dressage, and your navy lately? See any similarities with the Sith Empire you've been deploring?

First, I hate you. And your dog too.

Second, proper response forthcoming. Wouldn't be appropriate in the same post as the above.

Third, argh, OOU stuff annoys me so much.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Now you see that good will always triumph, because evil is dumb.

At least according to BioWare.

RC-1991 likes this.
  8. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The funny thing is Darth Tremor didn't WANT to be good, it's just evil is so bloody STUPID.

Zorrixor likes this.
  9. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    I have been playing off an on for a few months again. I really enjoyed the Cartel Coin Market. The item packs are awesome, and cheap. It allows players who want to craft high level weaponry to get level 7 crafting items without doing Hard Mode FPs (which I don't really enjoy).

I haven't tried any of the new story content, but I'm happy about getting HK51.

10. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Should I be concerned about XP gain reduction I have with my FTP account? Since I don't do heroics and space missions are restricted to 3 per week I am now starting Nar Shaddaa (starting level 20) with a level 18 Agent. Will I end up being seriously underleveled soon if I don't start doing heroics?

11. jedimaster203

Dec 19, 1999
    I honestly don't know. I don't do Heroics or Space missions at all (generally), but I am generally on part with level requirements just through doing every storyline mission.

I didn't pay attention to any PvP restrictions, but it is also a good source of XP. I rarely PvP either, so you should be alright.

My main concern is gear. I haven't touched my JK Sentinel in months, and I figured I'd pick him back up for some new stuff. I went to the level 50 area on Belsavis and got waxed. I'm in pretty crappy gear.

12. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Well, the first expansion has been officially announced- Rise of the Hutt Cartel, digital only too I think, so now the Hutts are making a play for galactic power. I'd be a bit more enthusiastic if it didn't sound a lot like the endgame stuff they've already got with the Republic and Sith Empire taking on some third power (ancient horrors on Belsavis, Dread Masters, rakghouls, etc.). And whether the eight classes will get new content or if it'll just be more of the same "Hello, non-gender specific Republic/Sith person" lines. Five extra levels could affect a lot of things (sure seems like the skill trees were designed with the level 50 cap in mind), not to mention all the gear that could become obsolete.

Wonder if this will change how we viewed Hutt history, since I thought up until Hutt space was wrecked during the Vong War, the Hutts relied on their economic muscle to deal with any problems. Although given all the ongoing politics in this era, it probably would be a good opportunity with the two superpowers relatively weakened after fighting each other, and Republic dark age solves all historical discrepancies ;). Not sure if Karagga was already sort of something like this (never got around to watching the cutscenes associated with it, its mainly an endgame raid, at least I think that was the MMO term), interested to see how Bioware does with their first expansion, with how they're still working on a lot of things in-game too.

13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I hope they will continue the class specific story in the future.

14. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    I had been expecting this one for a while. Sometime back, a leak came out that talked about upcoming content and one of them involved the Hutts. Plus, the TOR Encyclopaedia has some new Hutt content which I expect we will see in the expansion. Hopefully, we meet see a lot of new Hutt content which I know will please Gorefiend.

Gorefiend likes this.
  15. DarthNefaris

DarthNefaris Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 11, 2011
    I want to pose as a Hutt in the new expansion. His very huge immensity, Zodoh II the Ultimate will smash some Sithling and crush these petty Jedis. That would be cool to have a third clan to play " Republic, Sith, Jedi? Nah, I'm with the Hutt Cartel!". However, there is one crucial point : how do we move?

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    How is post game content? I've stopped my consular and played some Sith when I got close to fifty but I'd really like to get back to the republic.

That is when I get back to the game in general -- haven't had time for weeks.

Misa ab iPhono meo.

17. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    What, are you Trip, now? I want to see this proper response.

18. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    just got started with swtor free-to-play. I have a level 16 Consular and a level 13 Bounty Hunter. Bounty hunter is a blast, especially dark sided.

19. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Hutt economic muscle happens to include whole fleets of privateers, a vast network of agents and armies of mercs and levies :) , with which they apparently fought off uprising as well as Republic and Imperial (Sith and Galatic) incursions. Plus the Cartel is not all of Huttdom, just a collection of Hutt “merchant adventures”, which I can easly imaging levying an army from the worlds they control.

http://www.torhead.com/codex/96Ddl2p/hutt-cartel
    http://www.torhead.com/codex/8LifFP6/hutt-neutrality

20. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    In a word: yes.

In TOR if you are not overleveled, you're probably underleveled. Additionally, since FTP players face increased commedation costs for advanced gear you are likely to be under-geared in addition to being underleveled. A quick suggestion is this: many heroic 2+ missions can be completed solo (especially if you are a healer and/or have a universal CC) and this should be undertaken at every oppurtunity. You can also try alternating between characters in order to maximize the amount of bonus XP you accumulate.

21. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Rise of the Hutt Cartel... was underwhelmed with the premise at first, but then I remembered how much I enjoyed the Hutt stage of the Agent story, and then saw it's only gonna be $10. I wonder, though, if each class will have their own individual story mission, or if it will be the same for everyone. I hope it's the former, since that would be much more reason to go back to my old character.

TOR is odd in that it's an MMO that's more about the rise to max level rather than endgame, at least for me. I don't really enjoy the endgame in any MMO I can think of; it's usually playing PVP and doing high level dungeons and raids, which is sort of repetitious for my blood. I can understand why some like it, though.

22. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah, I'm only Level 12, but TOR has always struck me as more about the journey than the conclusion. (So its a typical BioWare game in that respect :p) Like you instantdeath I've never been into repetitive raiding either, so I'm actually looking forward to levelling another character when I'm maxed out, rather than just re-running the same instance again and again and again.

23. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Same, and that sort of presents my (first world) predicament regarding the expansion: do I dust off my old character when the expansion comes out to play through the expansion, or do I just wait to do it with my current one? Probably the former, but I barely even remember how to play my old character :confused:

24. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, when I used to play WoW, I pretty much just bought an expansion, leveled up, then put it down again until the next expansion... each time I forgot how to play (especially with how much they'd always changed talent trees, added new abilities, etc) but it normally came back quickly enough once I started playing. Like riding a bike really, doesn't take too long to pick it up again.

25. jedimaster203

Dec 19, 1999
    I think there need to be a lot of added features to the game to keep me interested in it. Right now I'm subscriber, but I don't really see the value.

The main problem I have with the game is that it is supposedly about choice, but everybody looks the same and acts the same. The game does a good job with making you interested in the character, but doesn't make him feel unique. They should add more titles (like a bunch), armor customization (I want pink armor!), and perhaps something like LOTRO's legendary weapon system. Having a single weapon that is MINE would make the character feel so much more unique.

I used to play LOTRO quite a bit, and that was one thing that I loved about the game. There weren't any two characters that were exactly alike. Even if everybody had the same specialization and armor, they could have radically different stats, because of how slayer perks and legendary weapons affected them.

Summer Dreamer and Zorrixor like this.