main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Colin Trevorrow to direct Ep7 - interesting quotes

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    Any director that comes right out and calls the PT horse**** publicly should automatically advance to the next round of interviews.

2. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    I loved the PT it was not perfect but we can agree the george should have produced and not directed. Horse **** ....no...but a better job could have been done and to say this is being honest. I like honesty

3. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Well he mentioned mythology. There aren't alot of franchises that qualify and have such a HUGE fanbase. Maybe he's doing the new Batman? We know he's not doing Superman, or the Avengers.

4. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Aronosky got the next Batman but the reboot won't happen till after Justice Leauge.

5. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    So rather than engage my points your response is basically to see "neener, neener, neener, please go away"?

Actually I'd like to stay on the semantics for a while, because you're misusing the words "objective" and "subjective" in this context. The next logical extension of your argument is that there is no valid foundation for critical thought, and that there is no artistic value to a work than what you give it, which is problematic for a bevy of reasons.

FinleySlade likes this.
  6. Darth Shibs

Darth Shibs Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Agreed as well. It was supposed to show a more 'classy' time like the 1950's, everything clean and elegant. Then things went downhill, like well.....from 1990 and up.

This 'royal' 'classy' look and feel was considered 'boring' by the newer generations who want visual stimuli and action and corruption every second.

7. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    I think you're kind of misreading why the tech on the OT looks like it does.

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This, absolutely. I am somewhat annoyed when I come across people who don't get that the GFFA of the PT was in a very different situation than it was in the OT. The differences between them are intentional, and people miss that and somehow point it out as a weakness of the PT. But when someone who's being rumored to be a director of a ST movie says something like this, it's actually cause for concern. Plus the fact that calling half of the existing Saga horse****, if he did actually say that, should kind of remove someone from consideration anyway, IMO.

9. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Not to get too off-topic, but has the next Batman been confirmed already to be a reboot? Meaning it won't continue after the events of TDKR as some had thought would happen, with a new Batman, and will instead reboot it again by returning to his background / "creation story"?

10. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Um, it doesn't take a genius to figure out "why" the trilogies looked differently. A fella can understand what the intent was but not be thrilled with the end result. It has nothing to do with not "understanding" it.

It also isn't complicated to see why he would feel those flicks are horse****. The majority of the people who saw them feel the same way.

11. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Nothing has been confirmed other than WB's "intentions" not to continue the Nolanverse.

12. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    The prequels don't have that lived in look. The originals did. The costumes in the PT all looked brand new, like they've never been worn before. Whether this was intended or not, its still a big deal TO ME.

13. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    People in high places often wear an outfit once (especially women). There was a big deal recently about Duchess of Cambridge "recycling" her dresses like the rest of us mere mortal do.

14. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    LawJedi : Thanks.

Not being thrilled with the result is one thing, but plenty of people say things like "things in the PT are all sleek and shiny because that looks cool to audiences now"... that is not the reason things look that way.

Also, there's really nothing objective to say that "the majority of the people who saw them feel the same way." A lot of people, sure, but the majority? I doubt it. More like a very vocal minority. The majority probably felt closer to liking them overall but having some parts they didn't like. Then there's the cool factor to keep in mind, wherein lots of people have apparently changed their tune sometime between 2005 and now and decided it sounds cooler to just say they hated all the PT movies, even though many of them may not have felt that clearly about it at an earlier point.

Regardless, though, there's nothing complicated about that position anyway. I just think that prospective directors of future SW movies shouldn't really be lumping themselves in with any group that's that critical of past SW movies.

15. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    LOL yeah, I guess record breaking Blu ray sales are thanks to only a handful of people who enjoyed the movies.

eht13 and Count Yubnub like this.
  16. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    Not me. I refuse to by the blu-rays until they switch back the "nooooooo" dialogue at the end of Jedi. I don't care about greedo shooting first. Or the dialogue change with the emperor in Empire. But the "noooooo" at the end of Jedi is unforgivable. The scene is far more powerful not knowing what he's thinking.

17. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Well, that just shows that die-hard fans are only a small portion of the SW consumers.

18. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    You mean the record blu ray sales on a box set that contains the Original Trilogy as well?

And eht13 there's nothing "cool" about disliking the PT. Why do you have to disregard opinions you dislike or disagree with by attempting to paint them as shallow, when in reality they have on the whole been well-considered and articulated?

19. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
  20. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    There's the OT only box set. Most people want the entire saga.

21. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Oh, come now. The OT is available separately, in its own box.

22. Spork111

Spork111 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    Well, the funny thing is I actually agree with you in the sense that I have no particular love for the prequels; in fact, I find AOTC in particular to be largely dreadful. Let me rephrase my concern. It might be a fact that these films are widely considered to be bad, but it seems to me that it would be an opinion to simply say that "the films are bad". I'm totally fine with expressing opinions (this is a forum largely for that purpose, after all!), but it seems to me to be problematic to claim one's opinion as fact (and therefore not open to interpretation or debate). However, if I have misunderstood or mischaracterized you in some way, I apologize.

I suppose the real point under debate here is whether or not a director who dislikes the prequels would be an appropriate choice to helm SW7. Given the backlash against the prequels, I think it would be smart on Disney's part (from a purely marketing perspective) to have such a director. As far as my personal feelings go, I would largely be fine with such a director, so long as there isn't outright open disregard for the prequels in the new films. I suppose what I mean to say is that I don't feel the new films should be reactionary to the prequels, but should stand on their own to a certain extent, while learning perhaps from the failures of the past.

Anyway, it would seem to me this particular thread might not serve much further purpose, given Trevorrow's own apparent denial of involvement. The whole rumor about him seems odd in retrospect, though...

23. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.