main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Post novels after Crucible and SOTJ?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Allana_Rey, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Sword and Crucible? Any word on Kemp's top secret duology?

2. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Impossible to check without knowing the title. :(

3. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    We were? Hmm.. This exact denial always smelled to me like Lucas hadn't quite give up his old plan about the ST, that he still had a plan for Luke. But as he kept saying 'no more movies,' I didn't give it more thought than that he'd probably handle over the script to someone at some point and they'd make a book or book series out of it. I even considered they might do something for TV. I never connected it with Lucas retiring, even if it should be obvious in retrospect :p Still, somewhere, someone, must have made those connections - particularly among the people working with this stuff all the time. They do it for living and probably want to keep their jobs - I think they're pretty alert.

I can understand if you're not eager to read what happens next because you're afraid these things will conflict. But that's not the same as they will conflict, much less deepen the conflict. Either the EU is in conflict with what will happen - or it isn't. A few more books won't change that. But if the EU won't be changed, those books can work as a bridge, just like Kyris says:

Crucible - Luke, Han and Leia move along some adventure of their own - disappearing from the galactic arena, maybe entering some timewarp or similar.
    SOTJ - Jaina and Jag find Chewbacca who still have a couple of hundred years to live.
    How hard can this be? It's science fiction after all.

That said, I think it's smart for Del Rey and Dark Horse to focus on other time eras than post- FOTJ, simply because fans won't buy that stuff out of fear it will be declared invalid soon.

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  4. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    Me thinks Krys doesn't quite get storytelling.

5. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Why is that? Cause it doesn't jive with how you want the EU and EP 7 to go?

6. Danz Borin

Oct 16, 2012
    Your idea of mass-murdering characters for no sake or purpose.

7. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    If characters get throw away set up with names and no back story, they should be thrown away as lightsaber shields. If you don't know their motivation, backstory, or home planet. Why should we care anything about them? I was upset when Valin got force crazy. I wasn't upset when Kunor Bann got it. I was kinda upset when Bazel got it, cause I had invested a little in him. It is sad that the characters they kill get more background then the characters that live on.

8. Danz Borin

Oct 16, 2012
    So... basically... every single character that doesn't get immediately explained, fleshed out, needs to be immediately deleted?

9. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd give them a couple of books. Bazel Warv was a good example. But why do we need 2 different Bothan female young Jedi? Kolir and Yaqeel? Because 2 different authors created them is the answer. Allston and Golden respectively. But what about Waxarn Kel, he at least got a physical description in NJO, bald and scared, havent seen him since NJO. Izal Waz got picked up reciently, a formerly spice addicted Arcona? YES! How is that not interesting? But characters like Kunor Bann? No detail given to his character what do ever aside from he goes crazy. He helps in Jedi missions. Maybe not kill them off. But put a little bit more effort in introducing a character. Aside from one sentence about the character, why not give a paragraph about them.

Kunor Bann walked in the room, long brown hair cut at his shoulders, wearing the green robes traditionally associated with Jedi hailing from the Corellian Sector. Master Horn had found him, son of a ship designer prior to the outbreak of the Yuuzhan Vong War.

10. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i wouldn't mind seeing a series of book detailing Kol Skywalker's life from the time he was born to meeting Morrigan corde to him creating the ossus project to the Sith-Imperial war to his death at the massacre at ossus. i would also would like to know if he was ben's son or grandson.

11. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    We will get there adventually. Don't rush it, cause then you will want to go back in fill in Ben Skywalkers lifetime. Not to mention, I forsee if one thing is going to go into Infinities, it will be Legacy.

12. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    oh i know. Kol was just one character who for a brief time made me curious about what he was like in his prime. i was the same way about obi-wan in the original and saw how bad ass he was in his prime in the prequels.

13. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah Kol is probably pretty awesome. Get some Nat, Kol, Sazen missions EPIC!

But lets be realistic... it won't happen until after the ST passes

14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Personally, I could actually see the opposite, with Legacy being able to be saved even if the rest of the EU got trashed. :p

It's been years since I read the comics, but off the top of my head, the major 'problems' have very little to do with the story of Legacy itself -- Vergere and the Vong? Caedus the Lightning Rod? Krayt never goes into any detail, so the comics themselves establish nothing about the specifics of those events, which could be retconned entirely.

In that respect, the common complaint that Legacy didn't use any Del Rey characters' children could prove Legacy's greatest strength.

15. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Hm... true... but it seems to be stated that the Fels are in control of the empire. It seems to be derailed because they announce that Jag was the first new emperor. The first Imperial Knights rise under his rule. His children have force powers ie. Through Jaina.

However, Jag seems off of that track when he stepped down from Head of State from the Empire

16. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    maybe jaina dies and he then cant handle it and he retakes his place as emperor.

17. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Only after popping out a kid right?

18. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    i'm not really sure, i mean i wouldn't want them to make her death reminiscent of padme's death.

19. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't really want Jag to be emperor. I loved him as the discredited war hero looking for redemption through being a bounty hunter. HOW COOL IS THAT?

20. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    was Nat ever a member of the jedi council? it doesn't say in his bio on Wookieepedia.

21. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    From memory though, wasn't the confirmation that they were indeed linked to Jag and Jaina something that the comics themselves never answered, and which we only finally got the definitive answer from in the RPG sourcebook or something?

So you've just got this guy called Fel, whose ancestry could be totally rewritten, without affecting the comics' internal story.

22. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Star Wars Legacy 33: Fight Another Day Part 2 reveals Jag Fel as the first Fel Emperor. So it was in the books

23. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    The books are pushing the Krayt perspective. I wonder if in LotF, Jacen's actions don't create the alternate universe where Krayt sits on the throne. Instead Allana does. This allows all that happened in Legacy to be future EU if that future is chosen, since it is always in motion... Perhaps Jacen's actions have caused the One Sith to reveal themselves to Luke's generation, too early than they originally planned

24. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Wow, I really killed this thread didn't I?

Anyway... I am excited for the future of Star Wars EU. With Episode 7 will surely come more novels... My only hope is that IF they move to Hyperion, will they crank out as many as they did during the PT?

25. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Before VII comes out I want them to make at least one post SOTJ duology/trilogy.