main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    ha i read that as "so i'm tom" and i was like uhhhhh yeah?

but yeah to me the trailer seems to suggest a lincoln that is freaking out every second he's on screen, but my little brother assured me that this is not the case and that it is very good.

2. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    New Year's Eve

3. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    I finally saw Ju-on about a week ago. Much better than The Grudge (at least the remake of every Japanese horror movie trend disappeared).

Before that I saw a movie called I Served The King of England. It's about a Czech waiter during World War II...actually entertaining to watch.

4. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Lust Caution
    Chinese drama thriller about a young university student who goes undercover as the mistress of a known traitor who collaborated with the Japanese during the Japanese occupation of China during the second world war. Good acting performances and great cinematography. Highly recommended.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Argo. Just as exciting and interesting as I expected. Ben Affleck is the real deal.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Brave. Pretty good. Hearing Kelly MacDonald's voice was a pleasant surprise.

7. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    It was a rewatch weekend. The Avengers and Skyfall.

8. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
    The Empire Strikes Back

9. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Watched Battleship today.

about 2 and a half minutes in, after the Hawking wanna-be complains about aliens colonizing Earth, i just couldn't hold it in anymore. It was ridiculous.

The concept is sound. Really good, but i don't think the execution was that fantastic. In fact, i think it would have been way better if they made it a two parter movie. It definitely could have worked so much better.

10. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Oldboy
    It was intriguing and suspenseful until the end, and brilliantly acted by the actor in the lead role. But the film had the unfortunate side effect that I now want to die.

DarthMane2 likes this.
  11. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Road to Perdition for only the second time ever. And I still loved the damn thing. Magnificent photography, there's no way that a digital James Bond film can come close in Mendes' canon, even if Deakins has shot it. And a terrific script, as well as the bravest use of Tom Hanks that I can think of (I think it's one of his best performances, too). And I would have thrown the Best Supporting Actor nod Craig's way rather than Newman's, as much as I dig Newman's work in the film.

heels1785 and Jabbadabbado like this.
  12. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pt 2. Thought it was the best of the Potter films until about 5 minutes before the end. Up until then, just about perfect, changes from the book worked well,m pacing was great. But then ... OK, Neville still gets his moment in the sun, even gets two, but needlessly blunted by having ti interlaced with Harry v Voldemort. Which should stand on its own anyway. And then Harry defeats Voldemort, except it's not at all clear why/how -- in the book it's made abundantly clear that his AK rebounded onto himself. In the movie, Harry has the wand, if I hadn't read the book, I'd have no idea why Voldmort dies.

13. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Yes, speaking as someone who had not read the book, I can attest that I had that exact confusion.

As for the film I last saw:

Glasses (Japanese)
    A spectacled woman goes for a vacation to a little inn on a small island. She is a bit reserved and has a hard time relaxing. The odd owners of the inn do not make matters easier. By the end, she has become tolerant of their oddities and become acquainted with the owners, and is able to relax and take it easy. Life at the inn goes at a slower pace than other places. I suspect the subject matter must hit right home with the Japanese. They are a notoriously stressed out people. :p I enjoyed it, but you have to watch it on a not too busy day. Otherwise, you will regret having spent an hour and forty minutes of your day on a film as slow as this one, and that ultimately says so little in the time allotted to say it. It's a nice film to watch in the summer, during vacation time.

14. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Steven Spielberg's Lincoln. Excellent. DDL's brilliantly intense performance was nicely balanced by Tommy Lee Jones acting cranky and insulting people.

15. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Lincoln. You just can't beat Daniel Day Lewis. For some it might be boring concidering it's more about a how a bill gets made then the Pres himself, and there is a lot of speeches and backroom politics. Then again what more can you expect. It's one of those films where as you watch it you won't know what to make of it, until the credits roll. IT'S THEN, when your walking out of the theatre, you'll go, "Man, that was a great movie."

Life likes this.
  16. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Chinatown (1974, Roman Polanski)
    Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway star in this detective thriller set in 1930s Los Angeles. It won an Oscar for its screenplay. I enjoyed it and highly recommend it. From what I understand, Polanski intended it to be an homage to film noirs?

Fun trivia from imdb (spoilers follow):
    1. There's a scene where Nicholson slaps Dunaway. The take looked fake so many times that finally Dunaway told Nicholson to actually slap her in the take. This is somewhat remarkable considering the barrage of rapid fire serial slaps she receives in this scene. :p

2. At the time of filming, Jack Nicholson had just embarked on his longstanding relationship with Anjelica Huston. This made his scenes with her father, John Huston, rather uncomfortable, especially as the only time Anjelica was on set was the day they were filming the scene where Noah Cross interrogates Nicholson's character with "Mr Gittes...do you sleep with my daughter?" :D

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The Call of Cthulhu may be my favorite modern "made to appear as a restored lost film".

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    As I was reading this paragraph, I kept waiting for it to turn into a J-horror movie.

19. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Well, yeah. The opening credits are a dead giveaway.

That being said, Polanski still approaches the film proper with his signature style, rather than trying to ape Huston or Wilder or whoever.

Bacon164 likes this.
  20. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus: I was pleasantly surprised by this film. After the rather middle-of-the-road Brothers Grimm I wondered if Gilliam was losing his touch. While it's not as good as his best, it's worth seeing.

heels1785 likes this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well if you're referring to Brazil, then yeah, it's pretty damn hard to be that good.

Still, I loved Dr Parnassus, great film. It has some flaws, but nothing too bad.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Lincoln. And it was awesome enough that I'll buy the Blu-Ray as soon as it is released. I love a good political thriller and Daniel Day-Lewis deserves an Oscar.

23. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    New Year's Eve (2011)
    One of those sentimental feel good intertwining and parallel storylines romcoms. Like Valentine's Day, Love, Actually and many others like it that we have seen so many times. Perhaps what makes this one stand out somewhat is that it also has a theme of new beginnings and second chances running throughout the narrative, what with it being centred around new year's eve. But I'm not going to complain. Its aim is to be a feel good movie and, voilá, I feel good. :)

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  25. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    The Squid and the Whale

As a child of divorce I sympathized with Walt, the older brother and I could understand most of his actions. But the parents seemed to be overly caricatured. We get that they are self-absorbed, but we don't see any redeeming qualities that give a hint as to how adjusted their children were (and Walt and Frank seemed fine before their parents split)

One big issue I had was how white-washed the cast was. The movie takes place in Brooklyn in 1986, a good portion of which is in a public school. Yet you would never know that by the cast. I counted one minority in the film and she only showed up in the second to last scene of the movie for about five seconds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.