main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation When production starts...Spoiled Rotten or Spoiler Free

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Saurion-Fett, Nov 18, 2012.

?

Spoiled Rotten or Spoiler Free

1. Spoiled Rotten ( The Dark Side )

68 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. Spoiler Free ( Goody Good Light Side )

39 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Spoiler-free. Once I find out who's directing and who's going to be in it, that'll be it for me until the trailers come out. If I hear that the theatrical trailer gives away plot points, I may not see it. If I have to stay off the Internet and not talk to my closest friends about the movie...so be it.:(

2. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Spoiler Free, for sure. Can't wait for the 7NSA forum to open, as previous experience leads me to believe it will be a smaller, quieter group with fewer threads. It has become impossible to follow anything in this forum, just way too many threads.

3. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Well...

It's tough, absolutely, but I think I'd like to stay relatively spoiler-free, even if, yes, I want to know a select few, very specific things.

First and foremost, I absolutely want to know whether or not Mark Hamill will be reprising his role as Luke Skywalker. As a child, Luke was my biggest (fictional, anyway - that is to say, other than family) hero and while I loved Optimus Prime after Star Wars, Prime and the Transformers really served to fill the vacancy left by the end of the Star Wars films.

As an adult, I sat through the Prequel films and fell in love with Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi. McGregor did what I thought might well be impossible and bridged the gap convincingly with a portrayal that not only honored Sir Alec's work, but served to take the character to great new places. This is the long-winded way of saying that, as much as I've grown to love Kenobi, Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker stirs something wondrous inside of me which I haven't felt since I was a kid.

I'd also wanted to know who was writing the treatment / script. More than anything, I was relieved to hear that George Lucas had a hand in the outline, at least, as Lucas' vision for the franchise has always been my preference. The announcement of Michael Arndt as screenwriter has gone over pretty well with me and along these lines, I'm waiting for the announcement of Director.

Beyond this, I'm curious, of course, as to whether or not Carrie and Harrison, Billy Dee, Peter or Anthony will return.

I'm curious as to the identity of the next generation and if we will get on-screen depictions of Jacen, Jaina, (non-ginger!) Ben, etc., but I'm on the fence about learning too much about possible characters.

In the end, this knowledge wouldn't spoil me near as much as my biggest no-no, though. Story. When Episode III rolled around, I convinced myself that we already knew so much of what would happen anyway, that there was no reason not to read Stover's novelization. Well, while it certainly offered me a new way of looking at a Star Wars film for the first time (and I loved it as Star Wars literature), it completely ruined any chance of surprise or suspense, as I knew what to expect story-wise. The visuals were exciting and I was caught up in the drama of Order 66 and the duel on Mustafar, but it just wasn't the same.

Going in to these pictures, I will try to keep myself as ignorant of the plot as is reasonable to expect in today's day and age, and I encourage all of my brothers and sisters here at TFN to do the same. I think it will make the venture all the more rewarding.

T-R- likes this.
  4. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Spoiler free. I was spoiled for the PT because I figured we knew the major plot points anyway. This time I want to be surprised.

5. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Spoiled because that's part of the fun of a new Star Wars movie, I discovered TFN the week TPM came out, my local newspaper did a big Star Wars spread and one of the things it mentioned was the most popular SW sites on the internet. And ever since then, instead of just the trailers before the movie, there is the joy of finding out little bits and pieces all the way till the movie come out. Even then some fun parts were kept from us like the Dooku Vs. Yoda showdown in AOTC. There is enough you don't know going in that makes it ok to be spoiled and still enjoy the film. The spoilers make it fun. I can't imagine a SW fan NOT watching that first trailer, to me the payoff would never be worth it. (IMO)

6. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    I don't consider trailers to be spoilers. Knowing the cast or the premise of the movie is not a spoiler either.

7. Blue_Jedi33

Aug 12, 2003
    How do you define a spoiler then, anything beyond the trailers and teasers and what is on IMDb ?

8. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Anything that's not officially known.

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Spoilers please

10. Blue_Jedi33

Aug 12, 2003
    With the internet, by that description you can be spoiled quite a bit. So semi-spoiled.

11. Ron Fett

Ron Fett Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    This time I'm going in spoiler-free and am going to stay that way. I learned my lesson after Avengers and Dark Knight Rises.

12. BosskHunter2

BosskHunter2 Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    Spoiler-free. Watching the Yoda light saber scene in AOTC before opening night is one of my biggest regrets. I stayed away from spoilers with ROTS and found it much more satisfying (being a better movie didn't hurt either).

13. spoooooky

spoooooky Jedi Master

May 2, 2000
    I..... just don't know.

I spolied myself rotten for all three prequels because, well, we knew what was going to happen to Anakin, Palpatine, Yoda, Obi-Wan... Knowing the basic outline and ending was enough for me to just wallow in the spoilers.

But I have no idea where they are going to go with this next movie. So part of me wants to just stay away from all spoilers and be blown away with all kinds of scenes that I never knew were coming. The other part of me remembers the crazy speculation and excitement surrounding every bit of spoilery godness. Is givng up months of spoiled rotten fun worth the two hours of seeing a totally "fresh" movie? Well, that, and I have absolutely no willpower whatsoever...

Ugh. I find myself actually stressing out about the decision as funny as that is.

I *think* my plan is to do episode seven spoiler-free and see which way I prefer. That way I could be back to being spoiled rotten for 8 and 9 if the ride wasn't as fun. Still waffling, though. I do love me some spoilers. ;)

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  15. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    I am physically incapable of avoiding spoilers.

16. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2007
    I will be spoiled rotten it does not ruin it for me

17. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    You can do it if you avoid place where most spoilers might be. I've managed to stay spoiler-free with other franchises.

18. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Spoiled fine til episode nine

Episode Swag and LANDO_ROCKS like this.
  19. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    Me: Well, knowing the cast, story outline, characters and seeing the trailer will do for me. But I will try not to go any further than that.
    Yoda: Do or do not. There is no try.

20. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Spoiled rotten. I've been hungry for everything there is on future Episodes since the early 80's.

Add Roy Fokker and Robotech to Optimus Prime and the Transformers part and I could of written this myself.

Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker - Mark IS Luke Skywalker - in Episodes VII-IX is something that I've longed to see since 1983 and something that takes me back to that feeling I had as a 6 year old watching RotJ in the theater with my parents and brother.

21. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    Spoiled. It's fun to know what's in and out then absolutely confirm it all by watching the movie. I spoiled on the latest Bond and it was still great.

22. Varactyl

Varactyl Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    Somewhere in between. I want to know casting and very general plot summary but otherwise I'll probably avert my eyes.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'll be spoiled, although not to the point where I read an unauthorized release of the script online six months before the film's release. (Hello, AOTC, which I still saw in the theater 10 times).

24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I fundamentally do not understand the desire to be spoiled. I will, as always, be spoiler free

25. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    For the prequels I was hardcore for spoilers, and I don't think it lessened the experience of seeing the films when they were released. That said, it was easier then to not actually know everything, even in the 2SA/ 3SA.
    Then again, it was a different time. I don't think the Non-Spoiler forums will offer any protection this time around - the internet is not geared to those wishing to remain out of the loop, nowadays.
    In order to remain full-on spoiler free, I'd have to shut off cable, the internet and not talk to my friends. Not possible, methinks.