main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I mean, Force Grip doesn't work on the guy. I know, I've tried it. Scary.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Today's episode.... oh good grief.

How many species stereotypes were broken today?

3. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Things I liked about this episode:
    • Hondo
    • Drink serving GNK
    • Grievous using his feet
    • Hondo
    I think this may end up as my favorite TCW story arc, bar none. The ongoing plot is engaging, with good pacing and interesting characters. I hope the final episode keeps the high quality of the last three.

I'll admit that I'm surprised that the child protagonists do not bring down the "age level" in the slightest. After these episodes were shown at CVI, the unstated implication was that this was a stealth pilot for a second TCW show, one aimed at younger children. However, a lot of the content in this episode was on the TCW's "adult" side---lots of drunken people, Grievous squashing a clone's head, and Hondo's dark insinuations to Ahsoka.

I'm glad they decided to show it as a part of this season.

Slater, wmu'14, Darth_Kiryan and 5 others like this.
  4. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Best Episode EVER was this one... I mean, Gamorrean Clown.. come on! And Grievous won a battle against Kenobi.. ok he fled in the end but he WON the big epic spacebattle!!!
    and the YJK ripoff Younglings rock.. to boot, funny Aleena, and the best circus (without a horrificus element).

and flying Hondo... brilliant! also the "asleep" (read dead!) clone in on the bridge.. funny.

oh and Hondo.. did I say Hondo? Yeah Hondo... HONDO!

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This arc has been fantastic. Who'd have thought -- I thought the first part of the arc was just a fluke.

I still hate Pete though. Kid has some serious discipline issues. It's like nobody's ever told him "no" before. I can see him as a future Inquisitor, along with the Wookiee with the demon lightsaber.

So let's see, what did I like...

- Drunk Hondo (esp. with that beast at the end)

- Finally another space battle (and yay more Z-95s!)

- Gonk

- The Star Trek III style ship destruction sequence.

- The circus act in general

- Gammorean clown

- The Ithorian's wtf fashion sense

- the whimsy

It was kind of odd that the Gallia-wannabe still had her hat thingies in the costume. What, they happened to have the special Gallia hats in that circus?

But yeah, I loved the episode. It was odd, because it started off with a very serious tone, almost sombre -- and then Pete's like "we're acrobats!" which is apparently code for "set silly to maximum."

It was unusually creative for a TCW episode -- at least this season. A return to form, maybe?

7. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    Their routine was surprisingly well choreographed for something they just made up on the fly...

8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Agreed. And five seasons later, I'm still waiting for that rifle in his office to pay off.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Wait, was he in season 1?

10. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Being well verse in dance routines is an important part of jedi training.

But you should really see what the clones can do though. Let me tell you, no one does a musical number as well as the Galactic Empire.

The_Phantom_Calamari likes this.
  11. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    God I hate the voice of Adi Gallia's daughter. I thought they were making it nasal in the first episode because they were on a cold planet, but three episodes later, she's still sounding like her nose is full of snot and making me want to punch her in the face.

I did like the inclusion of the Traveling Jindas, though, whom we haven't seen since those two episodes of Ewoks in 1986. Their leader had a glorious moustache and was played as a homage to Frank Marvel's performance in The Wizard of Oz.

All in all, the episode was as mediocre as the rest of the season has been. Space battles are good when there's something tactical about them, not when they're nothing more than flashing lasers and explosions. Obi-Wan let Grievous survive what would have been his certain death simply because he felt the need to gloat; we haven't seen that kind of idiocy from him before. Ahsoka being held captive in nothing but stuncuffs also made no sense. I wish I could say that I care about any of these child characters, but I don't, save for maybe the Wookiee. Am I just cynical? I did like the Gonk droid and the Sad Clown Gamorrean, but every episode this season has failed to hook me in just about every way possible. It almost feels like they're not even trying anymore.

GGrievous likes this.
  12. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007

Were you being regularly dragged in before?

Perhaps with the exception of Umbara last season I can't say that I feel the show has really given us anything I'd view as special since Season 2.

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The space battle, while shiny, was pretty stupid - they're not even trying to make Grievous a general anymore, he just runs around and laughs nefariously. That said, everything involving the younglings was great. The best part is when they throw Hondo off the see-saw, he hits a beam on the way down and tumbles into a bunch of junk, and for a second there he isn't even that angry.

14. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    I guess nobody but me got why Obi Wan warned Grievous... cause it made sense from a certain point of view!

Obi Wan's troops could not reach the escape pods in time... as we saw, Grievous was on the bridge before they were done boarding and could have easily disabled the pods. So Obi Wan buys time by distracting Grievous from the escape pod controls by calling him and hoping he can run not fast enough to make it off the ship while he saved all the troops lifes in the pods... though how they escape the enemy fleet to pick them up is beyond me still, at least the buying time element made perfect sense.

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Since my expectations of the CWAS is already rock-bottom, I was actually enthused that they showed Grievous for once.

16. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    I've come down with whooping cough, so I definitely appreciate Grievous a lot more as a character now. I find it difficult to put pants on in the morning when I'm having coughing fits, let alone wage a galactic war.

Poor, poor General Grievous (read: me) :p

Valin__Kenobi and CaptainPeabody like this.
  17. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    It is the same rig that they used to hold Obi-Wan in Attack of the Clones. It emits constant electric shocks to prevent the jedi from concentrating enough to use the force.

18. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Ahhhh, so that's why Grievous struts around naked most of the time.

She was led out in normal cuffs when the performers arrived.

19. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    That's what I get for posting in the middle of watching the episode.

In that case, I would put it down to a combination of exhaustion and being surrounded by guys with guns with no where to go. The jedi stress patience after all.

20. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Glad to see a rather clear Sep victory in the little fleet battle. Sure, the ship wasn't captured, but it was still a pretty solid win for Grevious.

I knew there was something about Hondo that was familiar, a reason he is so popular, but it wasn't until Disney bought LFL that I remembered. Disney made him first. So maybe we can have a crossover between the two most rakish pirates ever[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They even have similar voices/speaking patterns and personalities.

21. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    This may suprise you, Coop, but I agree 100%. Once I got over the initial "shiny" cool factor of seeing a space battle, I realized how pointless and stupid the layout was. The idea that it is that easy to board a Republic VenStar is a joke. They apparently can just line up and fly in slowly. The whole layout and concept of that battle was just plain idiotic.

--Adm. Nick

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, the space battle itself was fine -- the boarding action was just silly though. Don't they usually close those things after the fighters are out? I mean, forget getting boarded (where are the point defense guns, anyway??), it's a huge structural weakness. :p

And Grievous is pretty much reduced to comic relief at this point. Remember the old Clone Wars cartoon, and how scary Grievous was? Then we see him in ROTS and we're like "oh ****!" Kenobi and Skywalker have gotten away from Grievous and Dooku so often at this point that confronting both of them in ROTS is completely pointless.

However, like Coop, I think that the younglings/Hondo plot itself was far and away the best thing we've seen this season. It's the actual WAR stuff that's been stupid (see: Onderon).

Aw, but she's my favorite of the group. She's the only one that makes a lick of sense.

Well, aside from the Ithorian. But his awesomeness goes without saying. I really hate the calculator nerd though -- reminds me of annoying high school classmates. :p

Zeta1127 and fistofan1 like this.
  23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Meh, I was like 80% cool with Onderon. The other 20% was "Rebellion via Proper Grenade Velocity 101" and "AAT Fighting for Dummies: Just Lift the Lid".

Yeeeesss. "Classmates".

The_Phantom_Calamari likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I liked the outfits -- the pseudo-Roman emperor look was a bit too on the nose for me, but the Roman-but-still-spacey outfits of the royal guard and the diverse look of the Onderonians was cool. The palace plaza was nice, and generally the visuals were top notch.

The actual story was profoundly stupid though: we saw no reason why the rebels were fighting, we saw no actual tyranny performed by this tyrant except for a droid garrison (I can understand being upset at an organic garrison that eats your food and makes it a pain to support your own occupation, but droids?? who cares?), and there was way too much Luxsoka nonsense.

Basically it was The Fish Prince 2.0, but without the unintentional hilarity.

Esg and CooperTFN like this.
  25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Nick, Jello's mocking your story arc.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.