main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit EU fans in high places

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Man Who Sold the Moon, Nov 19, 2012.

1. The Man Who Sold the Moon

The Man Who Sold the Moon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2012
  2. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
  3. The Man Who Sold the Moon

Nov 19, 2012
    Any of you posters is Jamelle or Alyssa?

I would love it if we would get any of them for a Forcecast Roundtable.

4. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Press can't hold a candle to actual decision-makers.
    Although I am glad that at least some mainstream media knows EU. So many writers act like they are the hugest SW fans ever but they have only seen the movies and don't even know there's stuff besides movies. It's like saying you're a Christian while only having a dim idea that once this guy named Moses was alive, without knowing anything else.

5. The Man Who Sold the Moon

Nov 19, 2012
    I would love it if a billionare would come forward and started funding high quality SW movies that respect the EU. But that is highly unlikely.

thesevegetables and rumsmuggler like this.
  6. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    True, but don't think Disney corporate isn't fully aware of the entirety of what they're buying. The EU is worth money, a lot of money. Not as much as the movies themselves and their direct tie-ins but the idea that they would ignore a property that has, among other things, consistently filled at least a full shelf at every manjor retail bookstore in America for the better part of two decades is foolish.

The Star Wars EU is well known among the various circles it operates in. Several of the video games were notable (especially the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series and KOTOR) in that industry, the toys are a merchandising juggernaught that can certainly hold their own against something like G.I Joe, and the novels have, despite their variable quality, can draw surprisingly high-powered talent. Greg Bear wrote a Star Wars novel! The man has five Nebulas and two Hugos.

Now, ultimately the big difference we get from shifting between Lucasfilm to Disney is that Lucas was loyal to his own deeply personal and very quirky vision. Disney is loyal, almost to the point of brutality, to its bottom line. That means they will be sensitive to fan reaction - they would never have made Greedo shoot first - but they may not find the EU to be something worth keeping depending on their analysis.

7. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Here in the UK, too - and pages of them online on that outlet's website.

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I still think this guy knows more than he lets on.

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  9. Mechalich

Feb 2, 2010
    The interesting thing about that article is that the EU has already caught up to contemporary events.

The ability of novels, a long TV series, and video game codex-type material, to tell a more in depth storyline has grounded the geopolitics (or astropolitics perhaps) of Star Wars more firmly than the movies ever could. The triumph of the Rebel Alliance through assymetric warfare without a defined territory vulnerable to seizure and the inability of a monolithic centralized state to successfully combat them without losing hearts and minds has been heavily stressed in a number of EU materials, especially in The Essential Atlas and the Essential Guide to Warfare. This is part and parcel of the counterinsurgency strategy and stateless warfare that we've found ourselves embroiled in for over a decade.

In fact, I believe it could be argued that the EU's ability to continually re-interpret without re-writing the ongoing history of the Star Wars galaxy is one of the key facets that has kept a space opera from the 1970s a constantly fresh and vigorous phenomenon over time.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's a fan page.

11. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    That's awesome. And what makes it even better, is doing as I did, voice it in your head as a crisp upper class Word I War lieutenant in Her Majesties Arny. Hooray Sir!

12. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Alyssa Rosenberg IS a big EU fan, and also ASOIAF/GOT. I especially love her feminist viewpoint on the world of GRRM - another fandom heavily populated by men.

13. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
  14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  15. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I think I remember seeing an issue of Empire in an episode of Dexter.

Wow, those are both very odd things to see.

16. Mechalich

Feb 2, 2010
    That would be the affect of marathoning two seasons of Downton Abbey on my brain I'm afraid...

17. The Man Who Sold the Moon

Nov 19, 2012
    GOT is Game of Thrones and the others are what exactly?

18. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    ASOIAF is A Song of Ice and Fire, the collective name for the novel series, of which GOT is the first part. For some reason the entire tv-show is named after the first novel, but apparently Game of Thrones Season 2 sounds better than A Song of Ice and Fire Season 2: A Clash of Kings.

GRRM is the writer of the series, George R.R. "I don't kill characters, characters kill characters" Martin.

EU is the European Union, a Nobel winner but it has incompetent Muuns leading its banks.

19. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Yeah, sorry for the confusion. But as you can see, Lugija took care of it.

20. The Man Who Sold the Moon

Nov 19, 2012
    Thanks. I tought these were 3 different franchises.

21. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Can't believe I forgot this one, but Chris Carter (creator of The X-Files among others) is, or at least was, a big EU fan. He actually hired KJA to write X-Files books and comics due to his work in the Star Wars EU. Also Exar Kun's name appears in the opening credits of later seasons of the show.

22. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'd say that's about the final nail if the coffin of Chris Carter knowing good entertainment when he saw it. :p

Edit: I love me some X-Files, but Carter I've typically been less than impressed with.

Havac likes this.
  23. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  24. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    What book is that?

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I believe that's the pop-ups book from a few years ago.