main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Crucible by Troy Denning

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Sep 4, 2012.

1. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
  2. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012

DarthJenari and Zeta1127 like this.
  3. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    With all the EP7 wishing, whether for or against EU. One thing seems inevitable, retconning Chewie back into existance.
    We have had novels where Han and Leia chase paintings across planets.
    I get the feeling that Crucible is the bridge novel to EP7, retconning and retiring the main cast of the OT.
    My plot prediction goes as follows. Han recieves a distressed transmission from an asteroid. Goes to investigate with Leia, discovers that Trandoshan slavers are selling Wookiee slaves to the Hutts. Contacts Luke for unknown reason. When they get ot Nal Hutta/Nar Shada, they discover a young wookiee has escaped the slavers who sent the distress call. Young wookiee recognized his childhood hero Chewbacca as one of the slaves but has no recollection of any events prior to NJO. Chewie can have his personality altered/whatever alterations want to be made to his character. Luke, Han, and Leia mount a rescue mission. Luke and Leia are able to use the force to repair Chewies amnesia. Chewie and Han are reunited. Leia upset that she isn't co pilot anymore. Luke offers to move her co pilot seat onto the council chamber floor.

4. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    That's my best bet. There's something smelly about the last two books of FOTJ, something that screms about last minutes changes. And Crucible was announced immediately after that series, like had something completely new come up, that they had to tell but couldn't add to the series. Chewie reappearing is one possibility, but I think what will happen is that Luke, Han and Leia will encounter some entity that will make it possible for them to move to another time era. Also, this will take them away from the galactic arena until Episode VII.

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  5. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, I've been thinking of a Mortis connection for a couple of months.

6. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Please No with the Mortis. Everyone complains about explaining Mara and the past 50 years ABY. Imagine having to rehash episodes of TCW for movie goers too. If we are going to go Mortis, Luke's 10 dispatched knights should get a book about dealing with it. Plus arent the Celestials there dead? What's left to contend with?

7. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Father and Daughter, yes. Son not confirmed as dead (would a Force Entity be that vulnerable to a Lightsaber?).

Created by GL, inserted into TCW (where it doesn't really seem to fit - no Seperatist activity there) and references suddenly appearing in recent books (Plagueis, Apocalypse and Book of Sith). Does/did GL intend for Luke to retire there? Taking up the position his father refused?

8. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I am definitely looking forward to this. an Original story with the original trilogy characters as attention. i wonder if C-3P0 and R2 will make an appearance.

9. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    They're the two characters that are virtually certain to appear, although there has been a rumour that R2 will be fully CGI this time around.

10. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    You know, when you put it like that, it actually makes me think that could happen, as Lucas has always been very protective of Luke, so it actually wouldn't surprise me if his sequel outline includes Luke's fate, as it would give Lucas himself the comfort of a sense of closure to his main character's story, rather than the uncertainty of what some unknown author could choose to do with Luke in another twenty years time in Episode 20, which would be the case if Luke was still walking about after Episode 9.

Obviously even if he dies or becomes the god of Mortis, nothing stops someone resurrecting him in the future, but Lucas might just have wanted that sense of finality in his own mind due to how he will still have had some input into the ST, whereas whatever happens after will just be a free-for-all that he can ignore like the EU if he dislikes it.

11. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    A Celestial Movie, made by Disney but not announced as Star Wars... then turn around and reveal a Mortis Origin story... I feel like it would almost necessary for the Mortis plot. It could be done afterward, but whatever.

12. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I dunno, you don't need to have read Silmarillion or Hobbit to appreciate Lord of the Rings, so I'm unsure whether they'd even need to explain Mortis much -- after all, it's space fantasy, and nobody explained how Obi-Wan was talking inside Luke's head at the end of Star Wars, back when people weren't even expecting a sequel.

I imagine the average film goer would just think "Wow, cool!" when this big magical space station appeared without really thinking much else about it.

In any case, whether or not they use Mortis, I'm expecting something totally different in the third trilogy, as I expect they'll be worried about criticism it's just "more guys with blue laser swords waving them at guys with red laser swords" if they don't pull out something completely unexpected -- that's seemed the common complaint by the mainstream press about most recent things, so if they want to target an audience bigger than the current fanbase, I foresee something TCWish in its fantasy-type approach.

13. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    There would have to be explaination. Luke calling Jedi in, being like hey there is a discovery of this thing. What is it? Holocron says it is Mortis. What is that? A non flashback explanation ensues.

14. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Five minutes, if that - Obi-Wan and my father went there during the Clone Wars and found three powerful Force entities that combined to keep the Force in Balance with two of them representing its Light and Dark sides - Obi-Wan's recently rediscovered report is now in the Archives.

15. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Alright... so... if one represents light, the other dark, the third balance. If we have Jedi as lightside, Sith is dark side. What is the secret order that determines balance? Whills? What if they have agents within both Jedi and Sith Orders?

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Frankly, if they do use Mortis, I fully expect Luke to not have a clue what it is.

Films work far better when the audience are in the same shoes as the characters, and Yoda supposedly telling Luke during ESB ("Huh? That never happened.") is one piece of the EU that I would fully expect the sequels to throw out, as they'd keep any surprise for the film. Obi-Wan barely even told us who the Jedi were beyond them being the guardians of peace and justice.

Heck, the films wouldn't even need to make any mention of the Ones. For the film's purpose, it's just some ancient magic space station that's out of control. No need to explain that Admiral Ackbar once help build it, or who Bevel Lemelisk is. The Death Star's only needed explanation was that it blew stuff up. Show, don't tell, and all that.

17. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I like that, but a Force oriented station and not science oriented. We may have problems. Is the dagger still in there? Heres to hoping Abeloth isn't the villian of the ST.

18. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Personally, I expect the dagger would be a fantasy step too far, as it starts to make the film more like He-Man or King Arthur, with the focus more on magic weapons rather than the characters themselves, which in a story about a universal metaphysical collapse would simply involve someone 'sacrificing' their life to hold the galaxy together by becoming the new custodian of Mortis.

Admittedly, the danger with that story could be people thinking it was too much like the Matrix, with Luke basically giving his life -- not to the Matrix, but to the Force.

19. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    oh gods be good i just found out about this crap

D:

JackG and RC-1991 like this.
  20. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    By the sounds of things, with the whole Han shot first, Lando involved. I have a feeling the adventure will harken back to an OT feel as opposed to the EU feel we have seen reciently. Something to deal with Chewie, or Vader, or the Emperor, or Obi Wan. Something where Han and Leia would have a stake in not just Luke

21. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Mortis is rubbish, let us pray tell we never have to collectively visit that cess pit of a semi deus ex-machina ever, ever again. Stang Sithspit to you Father, Son & Daughter. :(

22. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I doubt Mortis will be revisitied in the films, it might reoccur within novels and tv shows however... I feel that it is a bit too much myself

23. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    why do their have to be any retcons? Lets just leave everything the way it is, and move forward.

24. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    There don't need to be retcons, I am just preparing for if/when it happens. I know that should it happen you will be right there with me, finding a way to let the EU exist along side the ST

25. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008