main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will Episode 7 be PG-13?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Lee_, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Probably not, but it would be cool if it did. Maybe something outside of parts 7-9 that is made for adults. The way they were describing the live action TV series made it sound close to an R, but George and Rick may have been exaggerating.

2. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't think Star Wars would have its charm if it were rated R. PG-13 would be nice though...

3. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    IT'S A COMPANY OWNED BY DISNEY MAKING MOVIES GEARED TOWARDS CHILDREN
    I see Ewok parties before R ratings...

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It is a bit implausible. Unless someone has the idea of making Death Troopers into a movie, maybe after Episodes 7, 8 and 9 have come out.

5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    It would be a different kind of appeal, which I think could be great if well done. Many elements of Star Wars could easily be put together into a more adult-oriented action/fantasy Sci-Fi.

6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think it is implausible that the series would have R ratings in terms of movies 7-9.

As I was saying though, McCallum likened Underworld, the live action TV series, to Deadwood, which if true, would put it in the neighborhood of R ratings. Lucas was clear in saying these were NOT family oriented entertainment like the other Star Wars material, and were darker and more adult. It could be like the HBO type of TV series, which is too hot for network TV. Underworld will likely not turn out to actually be R rated, but I don't think it is implausible.

7. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I would like to imagine so.

8. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Well its different for TV especially if you are on HBO (People are paying for content)

Movies though are about maximizing box office intake here and abroad. Also merchandise sales which is why no movie that wants to maximize profits is ever going to get R. Besides getting R requires pretty graphic violence far beyond what you need to do justice to even a more serious star wars. Now on the sex front that is a little different.

9. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    In a sense it isn't that different though- people on HBO pay to watch something, as do movie goers. If people don't WANT to watch it, your going to get less subscriptions, and make less money.
    If you think about, a SW with a much more serious tone could easily be made into an R movie, that is not a stretch. You could make merchandisong bucks from all the other kid-friendly movies; this would be a side-project to appeal and sell to adults.

10. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Star Wars is meant for all ages, so PG-13 should be the norm. Rated R will only exclude the kiddies for sure and therefore hurt the box office results.

e.g.; I think if they made Starship Troopers rated PG-13 it would have been more successful, and who knows what could have happened from then on.

11. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    The Avengers, The Amazing Spider-Man, Pirates of the Caribbean 1-4, Iron Man 3, so on, so forth. All of them have two thing in common, all Disney/Marvel or Disney, and PG-13.

I'm positive Episode 7 will be at least PG.

They're not going to give the biggest blockbuster series of all time Ework parties, that's a quick way to be a flop. You act like Disney is going to make these for 5 year olds, Episode 7 will more than likely be PG pr PG-13.

12. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Not really unless you want some sex scenes. I am not seeing how you would need to raise star wars to R to get it to be more serious. Unless you want to Sith Interrogation Techniques. Hacking people down is not going to get you rank.

Still the point for HBO is you audience is adults because kids are not going to be able to afford HBO by themselves. Movies you are trying to fill every seat.

13. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Yeah, I know. I was saying that there would be no way SW 7 would be rated R.
    A lot of 10 years olds these days turn up their noses at anything under PG-13.

14. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I am NOT talking about Episode 7, that obviously is NOT going to be rated R. I was talking about a different side story, as they said they were going possibly make other movies aside from the new trilogy, as well as a live action TV series. I have no idea why it is so hard to conceive of a Star Wars movie that is rated R that doesn't have sex. There is plenty of potential with evil monsters, murders, and action for an R; there are plenty of R rated Sci-fi's that are that way because of violence and other adult themes, Star Wars could easily be made into adult oriented Sci fi; in fact, that is how they describe the live action TV series, as NOT for children.

Your last sentence makes no sense, adults pay for kids to go to the movies just like they pay for HBO.

15. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Of course an R rated Star Wars movie could be successful; any movie that carries the name will have a lot of people attending it. I wasn't talking about the trilogy, but something else; in other words, they made PG/PG 13 movies (e.g. 7-9) and shows as well as an R (a side story).

By your logic, they wouldn't make R rated movies period.