main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit I don't like the Sith Emperor

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Slowpokeking, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    He thought the Sith Lords' spirits on Yavin 4 could be a threat to him, I guess that includes Exar Kun right?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought most of the Sith Lord spirits resided on Korriban, the tomb world of the Sith?

3. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Kun and Sadow's spirits were on Yavin.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    True. Don't think there were any others there though. Did Sadow's spirit appear in TOR?

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    From what I know, annoyingly not.

Which bugs me, as they resurrected him for that timeline video... then nothing.

I hope they make him a boss in a patch or something.

6. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I haven't played the game so I'm not totally informed about the guy but the feeling that I got when reading Revan was that The Emperor wasn't even a single person anymore. I thought the whole idea was that he couldn't develop as a character because he deliberately wasn't a character. Maybe I'm adding too much depth here but I sort of viewed The Emperor as a kind of black hole. I think if that's the point then it's okay that he's not overly interesting. If he really is a single sentient being, the same being he was 1000 years ago when he was Vitiate, then yeah, the idea is boring. It's not like The Emperor has much range.

7. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    I've only read Raven, and he's horrible, from every kind of standpoint. As a character. As part of the EU, in out of universe aspect, in universe aspect, storytelling aspect, etc.

He devalues other characters. He devalues Palpatine and what he did. He devalues Plaguies which just came out in paperback too. In the way that Revan was written, he devalued Revan as a character.

He's over powered, but they try to tamper that with a "he's afraid to attack the Republic because they could beat him".... but its obvious from Revan that he could have crushed the Republic. I never played KOTOR or KOTOR II or TOR, but from how Revan was written, its clear that the 2nd part with that Kreia destruction of the Jedi Order... that he'd easily be able to take it down.

Revan's ending was so horrible. It showed that he was overpowered, but was completely stupid, and had a completely stupid layout to his fortress and no idea on how to run it or protect himself.

Random Comments likes this.
  8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I agree that mind control is stupid and Vitiate devalues Palpatine. He makes Palpatine the recreator of the Sith Empire instead of the creator of the Galactic Empire.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't see how. ( Also, he's mentioned in the book. )

Zorrixor and Esg like this.
  10. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Well TOR explains Revan was the only thing holding him back from killing everything when he was in stasis

It's really a hundred times more better written then Revan and almost makes him more interesting then the book ever did.

11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I like him. No mere cackling Sith villain, but someone who has transcended mortality and become a threat to all life in the galaxy....

Plus, I like, unlike most omnicidal maniacs, he actually has a plan for do after killing everyone. Cruising the rest of the universe living however he wants to live. Take up farming, go to Disneyland, you know...that kind of thing.

Devalues Palpatine? I guess...but I have never cared as much about that as everyone else seems to.

Esg likes this.
  12. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    No, no, no, he'd go to Harry Potter World. He's already in Disneyland, duh.

Esg likes this.
  13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    We already got Nihilus

Uh, no, most of the omnicidal maniacs got plan like "rebuild the world/universe after wipe everything". Such villain is very easy to create, little characterization is needed.

14. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    I really don't like his character but then I've never been interested in any character who seeks to wipe out all life in this universe or any other. It's just a motivation I can't get behind because it makes no sense. I can understand someone wanting power or dominion over others, but if he wipes out all life he's going to have to do everything for himself, despite seemingly being used to a life of luxury at this point. What purpose does having an empty galaxy serve him? And what happens when his appetite for more force energy comes back and there's nothing left to consume? It just seems that when characters like this are written they are done so purely to show how evil they are with little thought given to actual logic.

15. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    well it is what the fans always ask for, I would rather have a force user Genghis Khan, he is not cackling evil, he does some good, but his warmachine is heading toward you and since you dont want to be a subject or victim you fight.

But that is more common in star trek, I think Star wars fans want more "epicness" from their villians. I am pefrectly fine with an Antagonists that is an antagonist because he is by cultural slant, or factional slant opposes my character with a terrific compentance.

I mean I kind of feel sorry for Mass Effect now, where do you go in threat level past civilization destroying mechanical eldric space ships? Machine Uprising? Expansionit militarist empire? space ninjas?

How do you go back to a simple well written threat, when you feed your audiance ULTIMATE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVil!

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Devalues the OT as well. I don't mind some thematic synergy -- after all, KOTOR did a lot of unjustified cribbing from the OT -- but the blatant copy-pasting is annoying, especially as their writing and their codex entries demonstrate that they're capable of real creativity. We know that Palpatine borrowed a lot of themes and architecture from old Sith, and that he was also bringing in designs from ancient empires and the like -- so there's room for a Sith Empire that has echos of the Galactic Empire. There isn't room for a blatant copy paste, down to Coruscanti accents for all these supposed Rimkin folk.

The Galactic Empire was supposed to be something new and unprecedented.

Danzo likes this.
  17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, the Galactic Empire is, like, galactic and stuff, so at least Palps still has that. :p

18. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I always felt they should have had Russian accents. It worked for the Huurm

Random Comments likes this.
  19. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Besides the hamy actor i never could figure out what made palpatine so special. But the I have noticed being the first elevates you int the eyes of many fandom. The O3, Palpatine, Vader, X-men O5, Star Trek TOS, The Original Avengers, Its not uncomon Just never saw the logic behind it.

But to me BBY and ABY is the stupidest dating convention in universe I could imagine, pure fan ****.

20. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    ANH was the first movie though

21. The Man Who Sold the Moon

The Man Who Sold the Moon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2012
    I have no problem with devaluing Palps, the EU had done awesome stuff for a long time. It earned the right to use such a powerfull figure.

22. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Yes thats why it is special to the fans, not to the universe.

Most science fiction or fantasy worlds don't have an internal date counting down or away form when the first episode "aired".
    As an out of universe way of logging and catogorizing stories in the time line it makes sense. It dosent ake sense of characters to use it.

23. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't see him being devaluated. He never succeeded in his goals

24. The Man Who Sold the Moon

The Man Who Sold the Moon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2012
    He never became a good but he did rule most of the galaxy.

25. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Half. Like Ruin