main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Jeffrey Toobin's The Nine. Great reporting, inside look at the relatively private Rehnquist court.

2. Bender666

Bender666 Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Red Country by Joe Abercrombie

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    This. Just started, but I'm 99% sure I know who Lamb is...

4. Bender666

Bender666 Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Logen Ninefingers? I'm starting later tonight.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I didn't want to spoil it, but like... yeah, who else. Well, here's the thing - hulking, scarred older Northman who wears a glove, gets touchy and hurt when talking about violence, and whom another Northman backed away from. Logen.

6. The Man Who Sold the Moon

The Man Who Sold the Moon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2012
    Forever War by Joe Haldeman

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm having a hard time getting going on anything since getting caught up on a song of ice and fire. i started the wheel of time series, but it's really not hooking me. might have to switch to non-fiction for a while or read some cormac mccarthy or something.

8. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Depends on what you mean by 'improve.' Stephen Donaldson started a second trilogy, of which The Wounded Land is the first, but the story gets more interesting as you progress thru the series. I found my copies at a used book store.

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    If you're looking for fantasy, I'd recommend The Lies of Locke Lamora, about a gang of thieves in a sort of Renaissance-steampunk fantasy-Venice, or Heroes Die, about a future-Earth actor who travels to a fantasy dimension to serve as an assassin for the entertainment of audiences at home. If you haven't read them already.

10. DDMAN26

DDMAN26 Jedi Youngling

Feb 3, 2002
    The Revolution was Televised by Alan Sepinwall

11. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    Good book. Loved it.

12. The Man Who Sold the Moon

The Man Who Sold the Moon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2012
    I like it so far. 60 pages into it.

13. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    just finished a farewell to arms, and now starting on old man and the sea, which will conclude my 4 book Hemingway spree. slightly out of order, but whatever.

i did enjoy farewell to arms, although I think I was more engrossed in for whom the bell tolls.

as an aside, i'm now reading almost exclusively on my ipad as opposed to normal books. i'm liking it. i've found that i've actually started reading more.

14. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I've been reading primarily on my ipad as well, it could be a little lighter, but other wise I love it, especially since I tend to start several books until I settle on one.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The final book in The Sprawl Trilogy Mona Lisa Overdrive (one of the tunes for The Matrix is of the same name).

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The Witch Hunter by Bernard Knight. It's one of his Crowner John books and is set in Exeter (UK) around 1195 AD. I've enjoying it. It's the first one I've read so I'm going to see if the local Waterstones bookstore has any of the others when I'm there next week. If not I might have to resort to Amazon UK.

17. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    And now I'm on the 4th "Wheel of Time" book: The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan

18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Thomas Becket: Warrior, Priest, Rebel, by John Guy. A pretty good recent biography of Becket in which Guy is rightfully skeptical of the hagiographic sources, but his reassessment cuts both ways and ultimately provides a pretty fair take on Becket, though Henry II takes a beating. There are some points where he appears to buy into fairly puffy-sounding material without articulating why, as he usually does, but overall it's a quality effort.

19. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I second the Lies of Locke Lamora recommendation, but with a warning: This is supposed to be a 7-book series, but the third book has been delayed for several years due to the author's health problems. You'll fall head-over-heels in love and then join the rest of us in the waiting game.

The book about Becket sounds quite good.

20. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    -Fate of the Jedi: Omen, Christie Golden
    -Changes, Mercedes Lackey
    And one serious one, Hungry Ghosts: Mao's Secret Famine, Jasper Becker. I'm always reading at least three, usually four books at a time. (Not bragging, it's the ADD)

21. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Back to Sherlock Holmes with The Return of Sherlock Holmes.

Amazing.

22. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Team of Rivals. Just read the first chapter so far, but it's great!

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Joe Abercrombie. First Law Trilogy. Trust me Tom. For all that is good and Nicholas Cagey* in the world, it's the best fantasy you can read if you like ASOIAF.

(* Including if Nicholas Cage played Robocop, the villain in Robocop, or both)

24. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    I want to read something in the EU just not sure what. I've heard good things about Darth Plagueis.

And after finding it on the Nook, there it is, buy, downloading and that's what I'll be reading.

25. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Do it, it's a good one.