main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit I don't like the Sith Emperor

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Slowpokeking, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    He basically devalues EVERYTHING around him, all types of characters. Like someone above said, how do you make threats and villains after you do the ULTIMATE EVIL which is what the Sith Emperor is supposed to be. And he's shown to be able to actually do it... ...but just doesn't because he doesn't feel like he succeeds because he has basically a Force parasite that he's draining off of who is feeding him BS.

Super dumb way to dumb down a super huge threat so you don't have to use that super huge threat. Imagine if in post-FOTJ story era they make a character that can destroy the galaxy. But decides NOT to because well.... what if the New Republic/GFFA (whatever the frak its called) *MIGHT* be able to stop it/him.

Despite the fact that the Sith Emperor would never be at the front lines or anywhere near it, and that he'd be completely hidden on a remote and forgotten world so even if his Sith Empire attack didn't defeat the Republic and they'd have virtually no way to find his homebase.... especially with his ability to do complete mind control so he can brainwash his own troops not to remember his world incase of capture.... and the fact that he has complete mind-control but can't determine lying or motives of those in front of him (like Scourge and Revan).... yea.... stupid character... .stupid plotting.... stupid story .... stupid storytelling, stupid everything.

It was like the TOR writers wanted 40K in Star Wars set pre-ANH but with everything that the PT and OT has combined. Dumb.

Sable_Hart likes this.
  2. The Man Who Sold the Moon

The Man Who Sold the Moon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2012
    Half?

He ruled much more then half of the galaxy.

3. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Stop bringing up the refuse that was the Revan novel when you haven't played TOR

4. Danz Borin

Oct 16, 2012
    ...so in the literature forum I'm not supposed to base characterization off the only novel appearance of said character?

5. The Man Who Sold the Moon

The Man Who Sold the Moon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2012
    My bad, i tought we were talking about Palps.

6. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Not when it's tuurable

7. Danz Borin

Oct 16, 2012
    Oh right. Valid points and all. I'll stop making them.

8. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Your throwing a hissy fit about the character based on a **** tier Drew K book and not the game he appars in. It like judging half of a painting by two artists when you've seen only one

9. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Half, it's in the introduction.

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Like it or loathe it, under the current rules that book still counts! Which is what I'd wager Danz is cheesed off about! He's doing nothing that any of us haven't done before - or a few times even!

12. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Based on the novel alone, I don't actually see any evidence that makes the Sith Emperor devalue anybody at all.

Sure, there's a whole lot of divine worship by his followers, but that's like taking the word of Daiman's disciples as gospel. The Sith Emperor, like Daiman, was not the god he or his followers believed he was: if that was the case, he'd not have lost.

I also actually like the 'super lame' way of dumbing him down because of Revan's influence on him: it shows why Vitiate's goal is doomed, because as he absorbs everything into himself, he also absorbs the consciousnesses of his enemies, which is why his belief that he could become the singular will of the whole was based on his flawed egotism. A similar fate befell Arthas when he thought he could control the will of the Lich King, or when Xehanort thought he could overwrite the strength of Terra's heart.

He only devalues Palpatine if you fall for his lies. But Vitiate's delusion has not seduced me. Daiman did not create the universe, and the Sith Emperor was not and never could be the god he intended.

Abeloth once thought like Vitiate too... and look what the Pool of Knowledge did to her.

JediKnight_Mat and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  13. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I just ignore Revan for characterization

14. Danz Borin

Oct 16, 2012
    It's still cannon - just as much as the TOR game - so the characterization is just as "accurate".

15. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Thats like saying Imperial Commando 501 is cannon

16. Danz Borin

Oct 16, 2012
    ...It is as long as it's a novel printed and published by Del Rey.

17. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    To be honest, I don't think the Sith Emperor cares about it if you don't like him.

Besides, maybe he likes trains, the Dark Council wants to build a light rail in Kaas City.

18. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    I don't think there's much defense against the idea that Vitiate was a very poorly-constructed character. Aside from a single badass boast ("Mine is the will of stone and patience of stars" or some such), there is nothing unique, interesting, or cool about him. Vitiate is a poor man's Nihilus and a poor man's Sidious.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    If he really does absorb the consciousnesses of his enemies, that is something interesting.

What happened to Nathema is somewhat interesting.

Zorrixor and Esg like this.
  20. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    As a work of fiction Most "emperor" level sith lords are all lacking. A good antagonist make things move, propels the story, as they try to achive their goals. Whether whats his name or Palpy the driving force for ther portagonist is their "flunkies".

So I dont think much of either emperor.

21. Danz Borin

Oct 16, 2012
    I disagree a bit. I think Palpatine was fleshed out well in the PT and showed him to be an expert manipulator. You could see him as this ultimate behind-the-scenes wheeler and dealer and that provided so much more to him than what we know of the Sith Emperor.

Tack on that the Emperor (Palps) was first created, and was made to be the "ultimate evil" by Lucas. Even over Vader (sans ANH Vader). And then all of a sudden a video game decides "hey, we'll make a guy who could basically destroy Alderaan but with leaving the planet there...." and amped up the Force Abilities to such a nth degree that realistically he'd be nigh impossible to topple over. Absolute mind control, absolute force domination, ability to do things in the force that no one else can, etc.

It then reeks of "over-stuffing" or whatever term you want to use. Its sort of the DBZ problem. Where each progressive villain needed to be higher power, more voltage, more strength, tougher to defeat, etc, until you get to the Buu saga where it's literally just flat-out ridiculous. But even moreso of the problem here with the Sith Emperor is that they did it PREQUEL style rather than in the future.

He is also a cherry-picked character. They took the best attributes (or the ones they, the creators) liked of Plageuis (immortality), Palpatine (Sith Empire), 40K Universe (Emperor, dark times, immortal, "atmosphere"), and I'm sure there's tons of other characters you could take stuff from that the Sith Emperor is also a copy of.

Palpatine neither as a character or as an antagonist, or as a creation/plot device feels like he's stealing stuff (basically, that comes from being the first of something, the creation of Sith as far as out-of-universe creation). He feels more real, organic, and 3-dimensional. Unlike the Sith Emperor.

22. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Even the pre PT Palpatine is more like a real person compare to the Sith Emperor, he didn't want to destroy everything or become god, he's just a evil tyrant like many similar figures in history, many of his moffs/grand admirals are worse than him in some ways such like treating aliens. And you see him try to lure out the darkness of Luke rather than mind control him.

And you forgot Nihilus, the Sith Emperor is mostly a copy of him with mind control plot device and eternal life.

23. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    I have no issue with Vitiate seeking to apotheosis; I have a problem with, as has been alluded in this thread by others, the fact that they so completely and blatantly ripped Palpatine off. Not only do they rip much of Vitiate's motivation straight out of the DESB, but he's Palpatine!lite down to the hooded cloak.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  24. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Vitiate is a Randian superman. He's taking the ridiculous concept of "going Galt" to its logical extreme.

Esg likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You make me very sad.