main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will the new trilogy try to match the tone of the OT or PT?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Boba Frett, Nov 19, 2012.

?

Will the new trilogy more closely match the Classic or Prequel trilogies, or have its own vibe?

1. Prequel Trilogy

9.5%
  2. Classic Trilogy

28.6%
  3. Do its own thing

61.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I think it's a mistake to have Luke, Leia and Han return as the main characters for the new trilogy. For me, this is a sign that Disney/Lucasfilm lack the guts to take the saga to a new generation. Instead, they are overreacting to the Darth Media's reaction to the PT by trying to rehash the vibe of the OT. Even if the movies become hits . . . from an artistic POV, I believe this is still a big mistake.

Veloz likes this.
  2. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    To have them return is not to say they will be main characters. Would you be ok with them supporting a younger up and coming cast of Jedi politicans and scoundrels?

3. Ron Fett

Ron Fett Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    That's what I'm hoping. The big three, specifically Ford, don't exactly have a spring in their step anymore. That doesn't mean they can't still be awesome. Luke, Leia and Han played a major part in shaping galactic history so I would like to see them in some sort of high ranking positions where they can serve as mentors but still allow the new generation to do the bulk of the work.

4. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Han needs to get back in the cockpit of the Falcon. Leia with him on diplomatic missions, except instead of young girl, respected diplomat

5. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

All three of them? Is that really necessary? I don't think so.

6. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I think the idea is to have Luke return and "pass the torch" onto the next generation of Jedi. Lucas has said that he wants the ST to reflect him passing the torch to the next generation of filmmaking. So there's that meta element there. So, I disagree; I do think that is artistic.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  7. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    DRush, do you want them as central characters or support characters. I think for 7, Luke can be the master. By 8 maybe he can have a Yoda moment flipping around and being BA. Perhaps he dies in 9?

8. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    OK, lets look at the similarities between the PT and the OT to glean what might happen within the ST... Looking at ANH and TPM solely here are the similarities...
    1. Opening Crawl directly followed by failed diplomatic missions (Leia/Rebels & Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan)
    2. Rescue of Damsel in Distress
    3. Space Battle near end
    4. Mentor dies to protect the apprentice

All of these stand a good chance of happening within the ST, save perhaps the Mentor dying

9. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

I would like one of them as a supporting character. I have no problem with that. Having all three as the central or supporting characters is a bit too much for me.

10. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Luke needs to be in it. Han and Leia arent needed but could cameo in a scene with Jaina or new creation of Solo Child...

11. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012

In my view, by far the most likely scenario will be that Luke will be there to act as an Obi-Wan-like character. If so, Leia needs to be there because it's set up that way:

"Luke, the Force runs strong in your family. Pass on what you have learned, Luke... There is another Skywalker...."

"You're wrong, Leia. You have that power too. In time you'll learn to use it as I have."

So Leia will become a Jedi, so she needs to be in there as well, otherwise that setup doesn't work.

And if she's there, Han needs to be there, otherwise his absence needs to be explained. And I'm not sure this will work:
    —"Remember that space pirate that you had a brief affair with, way back when when we brought down the Empire? Whatever happened to him? Whatshisface?"
    —"Eh, who cares?"

Just IMO. Personally, I'm hoping for an equally important role for Luke and Leia.

12. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Leia is the diplomat, Luke is the warrior. They mentor in their strengths

13. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    That's definitely a characterization that would work, as a continuation of their established characters. Though I suspect that Luke would primarily be a mentor/teacher, and/or develop into that role.

14. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    I must agree with u. My biggest fear is that they bring them in for nostalgia's sake and not because they have strong storylines for the characters. I really hope i'm wrong, but i'm a bit concerned. The events of the PT and OT can be refferenced (even the characters), but that doesnt mean they must be shown. They can cameo, but it would be exciting (to me) if they really went for it and give us new characters, planets and stories.

15. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Exactly, Leia is part of the order as are her children. However, Luke is the master. Leia has to pull double duty with the New Republic government

16. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008
    In other words, have all three in the movie in order to "recapture the magic" of the OT. Which is what I fear will happen. God, I hope I'm wrong.

17. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    I don't know if that was directed at me, but no, that's not what I meant at all. But that's my fear, as well.

18. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    That's like watching 1-6 and saying "why did they bring back Vader, Palpatine, Yoda, and Kenobi, I wish they only brought back 1 of them." Ridiculous. Luke and company should have the same prominence in the ST that the 4 characters I mentioned above had in the OT, if not more.

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  19. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Its not like you cannot be a more Diplomatic and Less Combat Oriented Jedi. Although the massive size of the OJO allowed for a great deal more specialization.

20. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Whoops wrong thread.

21. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Luke Han and Leia will be in it. Maybe Han. Who knows at this point. It will be wonderful. But how can you not want Luke Han and Leia in the ST?

22. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I just hope whoever is helms the films at least acknowledges some elements of the PT. It would be nice to have a connection to both the OT and PT in some form.

23. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    It's really hard to say what kind of tonal structure the ST will have because we don't have any details about what it will entail story-wise, but if I had my choice, I'd want something that's a mixture of both the 'political thriller' tone of the PT and the 'action adventure film' tone of the OT.

24. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    So, we can agree that both the OT and PT, love them or hate them, each had their own distinct tone. The PT spoke more of impending dark times, foreshadowings, and the entire trilogy, to me, had a dark and ambient overtone. The OT contrasts this, and feels much more rugged, however with a lighter feel to it, with a glimpse of hope on the horizon, next to the twin suns.

Now, how do you all want the ST to feel? More like the PT, or the OT? Or... do you want it to truly find its own place in the Star Wars Saga and have its own feel, while still honoring the core SW feel, as the first two trilogies do so well?

Mav Edit: There was already a thread that asked this exact same question, so I'm going to merge this one with that one.

25. gmoney8869

gmoney8869 Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2013
    I'd say the tone of the PT would be accurately described as confused.

"What's going on? I don't know. Ok, lets just go along with it. Oh no, everyones dead."

The OT had the tone of a heroic struggle against all odds. And that's exactly what the ST should have as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.