main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [Reactions] U.S. Presidential Election Day 2012

Discussion in 'Community' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Nov 4, 2012.

1. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    He actually said we should have the opportunity to teach all theories (understanding that he isn't using that word correctly).

OK, so schools should be able to teach the Norse creation 'theory' alongside the big bang and creationism if that's what they want?

Seriously, Rubio is an empty suit, it was very apparent in his RNC speech.

2. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    yeah, this is what i'm thinking as well. this guy has nothing right now.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  4. Platelet

Platelet Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    Except one of the few hispanic-sounding names in a party overrun by white men.

IIRC my school taught the Native American creation theory as part of the Indian unit, and I think we may have gotten some background on the creation beliefs of some of the Eastern religions (Shintoism, Hinduism, etc) during a religious unit in history class. I don't really have a problem with these things being taught as part of history, cultural studies, or religion, but Biblical creationism doesn't belong in a science classroom.*

*Though I liked what my high school biology teacher did, in providing time for a discussion of evolution vs. Biblical creationism amongst the students, since it was a conservative Christian part of the country. However, he absolutely refused to speak about his personal views on the subject, or offer any Creationist counterargument to what he had taught on evolution.

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The thing about Romney's "gift" comments is that they track precisely with conservative/libertarian rhetoric. They aren't really dissimilar from Ryan's comments, or O'Reilly's election night analysis. The rush to condemn them doesn't make any sense, because it's quite manifestly what they believe.

Jedi Merkurian and Darth Guy like this.
  6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yes it does. They want to distance themselves from a loser and Romney's comments give him the perfect 'out' to throw him in front of the bus, so to speak.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm from a conservative Christian part of the country as well, and I remember my 8th grade science teacher saying at the beginning of his lesson on evolution, "I'm teaching you the science. Go to your parents for the religious aspect."

As far as theories, a science teacher who worked with me when I taught middle school, put it this way: Electricity is a theory. Gravity is a theory. Are the fundamentalists denying that they exist?

That's what I thought.

8. Platelet

Platelet Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    It's more than Romney being a sore loser, though. Many Republicans have admitted it's essential they repair their image with minority voters, yet Romney's comments made them look even worse. Better to let him take the fall for it and risk looking like hypocrites than perpetuate the idea that the whole party remains bitter at minorities for "ruining" the election.

9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Well, gravity is an observable phenomenon. The explanation for gravity (General Relativity) is a theory.

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I prefer the term "thrown on top of the car" when it comes to Mitt. ;) Yeah, there's the dog joke, but Republicans aren't just trying to hide Romney (shoving him under the bus)... they're condemning him and quite loudly showing it off to the rest of the country.

Is it Vivec? IS IT? Maybe it's just a coincidence that most things fall down. Or worse... it's all a part of Obama's conspiracy!!!

:p

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Election related

One of the bankers what lent to the economic disaster says social security and medicare and such need to be done away with or heavily modified. Never mind, as stated in the article that social security is paid for until 2033. I almost put this under "derp" as this guy claims to be doing God's work.

Ms. Warren is the election part. She has been described as a bankruptcy master. She may be placed upon a comitte that Wall Street doe snot want her to be a part of. They are already lobbying against her.

12. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    First off - I'm in favor of soc sec/medicare etc. especially for those who have paid into it for years and now count on it. With that said, there is no doubt something needs to be done to keep funding - what that something is I don't know, but I do believe raising the cap on Soc Sec tax is one answer.

"Entitlements" do need to be on the table - but not swept under it and discarded with the sweepings.

I wish "we all" could discuss this like rational folks - but both sides of the coin are pretty entrenched in their positions for all that the "rest" of us can see or hear, and "we" are pretty adamant ourselves about what we want left alone and what we don't.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    allen west conceded. **** that guy

14. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    If a guy like Allen West can't stay employed in this economy, what chance do the rest of us have?

Summer Dreamer and Juliet316 like this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Elizabeth Warren is probably my favorite person in politics right now. Makes me want to move to Massachusetts just so I can vote for her.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Finally. His refusal to admit reality was starting to get tiresome.

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi and Juliet316 like this.
  18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Lol, that went viral. It's awesome.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Wow. Raging temper tantrums for three weeks can do a number on a person's appearance.

Jedi_Dajuan and Juliet316 like this.
  20. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    That's the most human I've even seen him look. But, not the craziest he's ever looked.

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

"What the hell is that? It's raping my car! I'll...I'll...back away slowly."

22. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Looks like he just woke up from a nap or something and found out the car needed gas!

23. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    well he's probably relishing not having to keep his hair perfectly immaculate anymore

24. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    If it is a legitimate rape the car has ways of not being filled with gasoline.

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005