main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Who do you want to direct Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    He was actually killed in TESB... we just thought that only his hand was cut off. :p

By the way, just to let you guys know... I will not be directing Episode 7.

2. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
  3. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I realize Shamylan and Tarrintino are "Hell nos" (good one BTW) but some others seem not to think so.

As for Affleck, I don't like anything abouit him -- acting or directing. As for Boyle, I don't know why he would be considered. His 28 Days movies were pretty typical zombie dramas. I will say they were pretty well directed for what they were, which was nothing special. And Slum Dog -- I saw it and failed to see why it won awards. Having said that Boyle wouldn't make me kill myself.

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    DarthLowBudget I have a friend who's a PA at ILM. I'm already planning to off him and take his place. No one will notice.

And yeah, it's unrealistic to think a TV animation director can or should direct something like this.

As to the suggestion of Adamson, I actually agree that the first two Narnia films were really good. I wouldn't mind that, but I don't know if they'd consider him.

5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm still not big on Affleck as an actor, but as a director I think he's proven himself extremely capable. Argo was pretty great. I don't know that he'd be in my top picks but he would be someone to think about. The thing about him is that I think he does better with exciting, plot-driven things than with the more character-centric aspects. Which may or may not be a good combination with the script.

As to Boyle... he only directed the first 28 Days film. Slumdog is visually and emotionally brilliant, and would be the exact kind of whimsical meets real aesthetic necessary for a good SW film (such as ESB, for instance). But that's really just the tip of the iceberg. One of Boyle's most incredible qualities is his ability to seamlessly move from genre to genre and still make fantastic films. Unlike many other current directors (Nolan, Fincher), he doesn't have a highly specific style or genre. He could make a Star Wars film that feels like Star Wars, not like a [insert auteur director name here] film.

What he has is an ability to bring magic and character focus to any genre. Watch Trainspotting, watch Millions, and maybe then Sunshine and observe the kind of versatility I mean. I think his abilities and his approach (very hopeful and magical whether it's dark or light) would fit perfectly with Star Wars. And after only doing indie films, he proved with the 2012 Olympics that he could handle a large scale project.

6. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Yeah, Boyle is one of the best directors working today. Has been, in fact, since Shallow Grave.

7. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Didn't see Argo and don't care to.

I don't think Slum Dofg is as good as you or anyone else make it out to be. In fact I find it pretentious that people rave about it. It's like a fad or cliche. So and so says Slum Dog is brilliant so I must too . . . It wasn't and I'm fully capable of analyzing any movie. It was good. Not brilliant or award worthy.

I forgot about Trainspotting. Now that was a good movie. It takes you out of your comfort zone, challenges you and still creates emotional ties. Yeah. I liked it. Saw it in the theaters years ago and still don't think Boyle is right for Star Wars. And I also liked Millions and didn't realize he directed it (saw it on TV one night).

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well Boyle is my favorite director and I saw Slumdog the day it came out on limited release and loved it. I certainly didn't like it because it was popular to. I find the film down to earth, not pretentious. It's not some boring, brown, navel gazing Oscar bait.

And see, you didn't know he directed Millions because he's super versatile.

Agreed. Shallow Grave remains one of my favorite films and has been since I first saw it about 10 years ago. I have seen every Boyle film and I like all of them. That's never been true of any other director whose work I've seen in it's entirety (e.g. Fincher or Nolan).

9. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I saw Trainspotting before the prequels, loved it and was really happy GL cast Ewan as Obi-Wan.
    That scene with the death sticks in AOTC never fails to crack me up. I've always wondered if it's a reference to McGregor's character in Trainspotting.

10. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    How can you like something pretentiously? To be pretentious is a term related to believing you are achieving something you are not. I'm not sure it's actually possibly to like something pretentiously. Unless you are pretending to like something that you don't. Then again, I'd never question anyones motives for liking or disliking something.

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't know. You could like something like an AFI grad ;)

DarthLowBudget likes this.
  12. DarthBlanco

DarthBlanco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    E7 Spielberg
    E8 Scorsese
    E9 Zemeckis

TheMasterOfSoresu likes this.
  13. hanshotfirst87

hanshotfirst87 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2011
    Spielberg or Zemeckis seem perfect, just someone who isn't gonna stray to far from the style and try to make it their film. Zombie Kirshner available because that would be perfect.

14. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    While I'm not buying on M. Night I didn't think Air Bender was bad. I did think the main kid kind of sucked as an actor and a better choice could have been made.

15. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Were you a fan of the cartoon?

16. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Never seen an episode.

17. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    KK worked with M. Night in the past on The Last Airbender. [face_worried]

18. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I would agree about Johnson, but for all the "next generation of film makers" stuff. No, I think the director is gunna be young, talented, and not a big track record.
    Yes disney will be doing a nervous pee-pee dance, but KKennedy will force the issue.

ha
    hahaha get it
    "Force" the issue! [face_laugh]

19. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I think it might help you to appreciate the disgust. The show was very Star Wars, with a nice blend of mythology, spirtuality, and fantasy action, but on a warm bed of friendship, levity, and whimsy. M Night got the first part okay, but missed out on the second part. It would blow your mind just how FUN that show was, but in a way that worked remarkably well with the darker themes. The movie was just so po-faced and serious.

I'm sure there were some who prefer the movie approach, but I don't know if its the approach people would want for the ST.

20. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    The show looked like it was made for ten year olds from the commercials. You make it sound much better. I don't think I would watch it regardless though.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Well, based on popular opining, you have just described a scenario befitting of a new Star Wars film...

22. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    What about De Palma? Isn't he a friend of Lucas'?

23. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Kennedy can't force anything on Disney.

24. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Duncan Jones. Small track record of good quality films but not a blockbuster director.

Alderaan Luke likes this.
  25. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Just like Lucas couldnt force the issue of casting his movie with unknown Hamil and Fisher???
    You don't think that could have been part of the deal with disney??? We have creative control, you pay for it and keep the profits???
    :confused: