main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Doctor Who] Series 7 Discussion - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm not sure I understand what's upsetting about his comments...

3. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    The "It'd be great" bit.

EDIT: And given the discussion about his career that we had not so long ago (was it here or in the Hobbit thread?), this would seem like another nail in the coffin, if it were to happen, I'm afraid...

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I agree with Maria on this issue. On the plus side, it did sound like he actually nearly let something slip re: Doctor Who.

5. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I don't see how making what would amount to at the most would be a cameo in an enormously successful franchise would be the nail in anyone's career coffin.

6. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Another nail. Not the nail. Coffins need many nails.

It's just frustrating. He's going backwards. I know we discussed how it's not that straightforward, but he's too good for freakin' Star Wars.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
  8. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Because he's a fantastic actor. An electric personality. He should be starring in great drama. He should be at the heart of something wonderful, something credible. Star Wars is none of those things.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  9. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Because it's the bloody Star Wars and he's a Shakespearean actor who could do so much better.

Everton likes this.
  10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes, Shakespearean actors and sci-fi don't mix.

darthcaedus1138 and Juliet316 like this.
  11. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    We're not discussing sci-fi in general, are we?

12. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    The only example I can think of is Ian McDiarmid... and boy, what an artistic high point Palpatine was...

13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    He's enthusiastic about the remote possibility of being in a beloved hit film franchise. So what? It wouldn't kill his career or whatever, and he clearly doesn't think it's below his vaunted status as someone who appeared in "Love and Monsters."
    Uh
    [​IMG]

14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yes, but you seem to be forgetting one important point - both Ian McDiarmid and Patrick Stewart starred in sci-fi at a much later point in their careers when they were already established iconic names. David Tennant is a completely different case.

15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Patrick Stewart has not appeared in Star Wars. We were discussing Star Wars being crap, not sci-fi being crap. Besides, Stewart's performance as Picard is quite excellent. All performances in Star Wars are either dreadful or a mockery of the actor's actual talent.

16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Patrick Stewart was probably a lot less well-known here in the States before he did TNG than David Tennant is, having only done stage and some minor film roles.

EDIT: lol, I don't see how such a rabid fan of Doctor Who can despise Star Wars entirely. Oh well.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Don't forget - fan of "Love & Monsters".

18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, for one thing I have absolutely no idea why you guys hate Star Wars so much. It baffles me as it does Evan.

Setting that aside though, even if you don't like it, this is exactly the sort of thing David should be doing if he wants to have the chance to do more films, etc. which is what in that other discussion you both claimed to wish for. To me, his situation would seem to be exactly what Ewan's was before the PT. He was a well-known and respected actor in the UK already, but hadn't had exposure in the US that would allow him to be in a variety of other films. Since then, Ewan has had his pick. He's done big films, indie films, genre films, straight up drama.... anything. He's been able to do whatever the hell he wanted. Why on earth would someone not want that for David? I love you guys, but I'm sorry, I don't think you are quite understanding how this works in the business.

Anyway, I think it's extremely unlikely that David would actually be in the ST, as much as I would love it. There are tons of actors who'd love to do it and I don't think he will land a spot unless for some reason some of the creative team really likes Doctor Who or something and happens to have a role for him. I know we don't see eye to eye on the ST possibilities at all, but set that aside. The bottom line is, if you think David should stop doing small movies and TV serials, you should pray to God that he has a chance to be in something like Star Wars.

(I'm going to get to the question of which Doctor you're most like later because I want to hear people's responses and was thinking of asking that myself :p)

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Thirded on the bafflement train. A role in Star Wars, even a small one would be a hell of a step up in his career. Certainly better than *coughFrightNightcough*

And yes, solojones nailed it on the head. Ewen managed to parlay a lot of his success in SW to a number of other roles since. TNG opened a lot of doors for Patrick Stewart, including X-Men and Hamlet with David. Why couldn't the same happen for David? And who says the ST will be crap? It's not like George is actually writing the scripts this time out.

Plus he says he wants a role in it. For something like Star Wars, I would rather have somebody who actually wants to be in it than have somebody who's simply wanting a paycheck *casts long glares at Hugo Weaving and his recent Transformers comments*

Although the fact that he *is* a more known actor due to LucasFilm due to Who and his voice work in the Clone Wars can't hurt his chances.

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    That's true. It's just that everyone wants in the film so I'm not going to get too excited about a theoretical dream cast.

21. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Tennant was a great Doctor, but you guys expect too much of him.

22. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    DAME MAGGIE SMITH AS EVERYONE

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I cannot dispute the logic of Star Wars boosting David's profile in the US. It will, and that would open many doors. I just can't believe Star Wars is the only way to do that.

EDIT: And to explain my own reason for disliking Star Wars. When a franchise loses me, I don't tend to go back. It takes a lot to shake me off, but the PT was so bad it did just that. Today, I'd rather just let it be. Leave it alone. At least then it can't get any worse, and what good stuff there is in the canon remains a larger part of the whole. A franchise extending into mediocrity is a terrible thing.

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    So we shouldn't watch DW past Davison? :p

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Speaking of Who actors in other roles, I just watched the preview for next week's NCIS, and it looks like Alex Kingston's going to be playing a mystery woman tangling with Mark Harmon's Jethro Gibbs in the next episode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.