main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Live Without Her?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by JoeyArnold, Nov 20, 2012.

?

How was Anakin or Darth Vader able to live after Padme died?

1. He was in love with power more than he was in love with Padme

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. He was going to find a way to resurrect Padme using the dark side

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. He was secretly gay and so in love with Darth Sidious

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. He still wanted to be the greatest jedi or sith lord oever

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. he was too much of a wimp to die

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. he wanted to find a way to get his revenge on Sidious

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. he was too scared of Sidious to walk away

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  8. The conflict inside kept him from being decisive

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  9. The Vader suite disabled him from the ability to commit suicide

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  10. He thought that Padme or his kid or kids were still alive: he wanted to meet his kid someday.

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    How could Anakin Skywalker live without Padme at the end of Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith? Wasn't his number one reason for following Darth Sidious was in order to keep his wife from dying? What caused Anakin to become Darth Vader? Better yet, what inspired him to continue following the Emperor after she died? Was Anakin even in love with Padme to begin with? Because it seems like he was more in love with power than he was in love with Padme because Vader continues to go after his quest for power after Padme dies. I just got done watching Ep.III again yesterday and I do not completely understand how Anakin could possibly think that the jedi were possibly bad from a point of view.

Was Anakin seriously thinking that he would resurrect Padme someday as soon as they figured it out together? Was Anakin secretly gay and in love with Sidious, growing up?

1. Why did Vader continue following Sidious after Padme died?

2. How was Vader able to think that the jedi were bad?

3. What were all the reasons for Vader to turn to the dark side to begin with?

4. How exactly was Anakin ultimately redeemed in the Return of the Jedi?

5. Why did Anakin die right after being redeemed?

6. But I thought Anakin couldn't live without Padme?

7. So, how was Anakin or Darth Vader able to live for thirty or so years after Padme died?

2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Or he was simply punishing himself for causing Padme's death? I believe a novel had addressed Vader's feelings after the events of ROTS.

3. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    How does doing more bad things undo the one bad thing?

4. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    Rather than face up to his own actions, he justifies them. He accepts the 'truth' that Palpatine/Sidious told him - that it was his destiny. He accepted Sidious, and the dark side, as his master. "You do not know the power of the Darkside", and earlier "I don't have a choice". That way he didn't kill Padmé. That way all he does is what he was always meant to do. Forever a slave. Only upon witnessing Luke make the choice to turn away from his own anger and hatred does he come to accept his own part responsibility.

The line that the Emperor spoke then to Luke actually has more meaning for Anakin. "Only now, at the end, do you understand"

5. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    Did Sidious say that at the end of Return of the Jedi? "Only now at the end do you understand." Do you think Sidious was saying that specifically to Vader? If so, then was that his way of telling Vader that his son was going to replace him?

6. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    He says it just after he starts frying Luke with lightening.

7. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012

was Sidious saying this to Luke or to Vader or to both or what?

8. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Because he believed that he could learn how to resurrect his wife though Sidious' teachings, or because of GUILT.

It's in Revenge of the Sith, dude. right there, on screen.

Again, It's in Revenge of the Sith, dude. Hell, is even in the AOTC, right there, on screen.

Though the love of his son. Luke is the Catalyst for Vader's redemption.

Because his suit was a life support system. Sidious' lightning fractured and destroyed it.

Anakin couldn't, but Vader did.

GUILT

thesevegetables likes this.
  9. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    Sidious tells Anakin that the jedi are bad. And then Anakin starts saying that the jedi are bad. But it still does not make sense. Anakin was trained by the jedi for the last thirteen or so years at that point. How can you give up on the ideas of the jedi so quickly? What were the jedi doing that made them so evil? What were the children jedi doing that was so bad?

10. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    Sidious. Manipulation.

11. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Anakin is one unstable, impressionable guy who doesn't have enough control over his feelings.

12. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    Whatever happen to that little boy on Tatooine? When did baby Anakin die?

13. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    when he grew up!

thesevegetables likes this.
  14. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    But when did he grow up?

15. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    OH MY GOD DID YOU WATCH THE MOVIES? NOW YOU'RE JUST TROLLING.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    Yes. In the Phantom Menace, Anakin Skywalker is nine years old. In the Attack of the Clones, he is 19 years old. In the Revenge of the Sith, he is 23 or so, which is around the time he goes completely or farther to the dark side of the force. He becomes Darth Vader. However, the transformation is still something I ponder. I understand how and even why he fell but I am not exactly sure when he fell and that is what the question is all about. Because he grew up in a bad way because as he grew up he grew in his lust for power and kid Ani would have been more likely to do what Luke does.

17. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    The seeds are all planted in TPM. As a slave, Anakin is a good person but feels powerless to control his destiny as well as that of his mother who he is profoundly yet selfishly attached to, so he makes himself feel more powerful by learning to build and fix things and to pilot a podracer. Ironically, despite using those skills to forge a path to freedom, he becomes a slave to that attachment and is never truly able to let go of his mother. However, he leaves her anyway because he believes that becoming a Jedi means gaining power, and that once he has that power he will be able to come back and free her. When he finally returns 10 years later only to have her die in his arms, he gives in to anger and becomes convinced that he still wasn't powerful enough to save her, despite having been told by the Jedi as well as Palpatine that he has the potential to be the most powerful person in the galaxy. Thus begins his quest for the ultimate power that he believes he is destined for, and thus also cements his determination to never let that happen again... specifically to Padme, to whom he is now as selfishly attached as he was to his mother. The Jedi (including Obi-Wan) know how great his power will be so they fear him and try to hold him back from achieving that power, making Anakin feel once again enslaved, now by the very Order that he saw as a path to power and freedom. Palpatine is able to use this to his advantage by planting seeds of mistrust for the Jedi in Anakin, and all it takes is telling him the truth and offering him the power that the Jedi are keeping from him. The Jedi play right into Palpatine's hand by showing Anakin that they are suspicious and untrustworthy, and when Anakin thinks Padme's life is in danger, he is willing to do anything to achieve the power that the Jedi are preventing him from attaining, even if it means betraying the Jedi and turning to the Dark Side. Only fate takes another ironic turn and Anakin's anger causes him to lose Padme and destroy her life, and subsequently he is horribly injured, thus imprisoning him in a mechanical body which takes away his ability to achieve that ulitmate power. Now he is once again a slave, this time to Palpatine as well as his own guilt. And so it goes until the unselfish unconditional love of his son reawakens the good person he once was and convinces him to sacrifice his life for the good of the galaxy, and not through greater power but only through that selfless act does he finally achieve the freedom he has been denied his entire life, and in another ironic twist learns the secret to cheating death as well. Does that about cover it?

18. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Obviously there are other important factors in understanding Anakin's psyche, mainly involving the father/mentor figures in his life (and largely stemming from his having grown up without one), but that's probably a discussion best left for another time and place.

19. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    Was Anakin kind of trying to be a father figure to Padme on top of just being in love with her?

20. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    When I first read this I thought it was kind of a bizarre question, but then I found myself really pondering it. He definitely tried to be a protector to many people, including his mother, Padme, Obi-Wan... even Palpatine and ultimately Luke of course, but I wouldn't necessarily equate that with being a father figure. The notion that he was always trying to take on that role is an interesting interpretation though, and could possibly be a factor in why he was so affected by the discovery that his son was still alive (something made very clear in ROTJ, but even in TESB I see a great deal of conflict stirring in him over this issue right from the beginning).

21. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    Actually I think it was a combination of his intense hate & possible intoxication with the power of the Darkside that kept him going.

22. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    how did vader know he was the father of Luke?

23. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    When Sidious told the man in the suit that Padmé was dead, the man in the suit let out a mellowing "NOOOOOOO!". With that final scream, Anakin Skywalker was dead, and Darth Vader was born.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Hooray for new JoeyArnoldTM insights!!!
    [​IMG]

25. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I think the simple answer is that he became evil, and his evilness overcame any guilt or sense of loss that was felt. He started on the way to the dark side, because he felt it would give him the power to save Padme, but he already was struggling with the dark side before his visions, and this may have been at least a sub-conscious justification for going over. He couldn't control the dark side however, and still keep his old identity. The dark side corrupted him and the old Anakin did indeed die in a way, as Obi-Wan said, and was replaced by Darth Vader. Anakin Skywalker could not go on without Padme, but Darth Vader could.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.