main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT All things about Jake Lloyd (Consolidated Thread)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by qui-gon-kim, Mar 6, 2012.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Lloyd has his moments in TPM, I actually like the "are you an angel" bit, if not for that specific line but just for his casual way he brings up his life. He has an oddly amusing world-weariness to him ("I wouldn't have lasted this long if I wasn't so good at building things") in the Tatooine stuff but Anakin does kinda fade into the background by the end of the flick. I do think that him blowing up the Trade Federation is actually meant to be a joke although it comes across as more heroic in the movie but the gag is he literally just kinda falls into the cockpit.

2. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Still think the prequels would have benefited from an adult Anakin (the separation from his mother could have been in a "flashback" type of sequence - it worked for Batman Begins, after all). He's no Henry Thomas, but he certainly doesn't deserve the hate he received.

Veloz and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  3. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    a flashback like sequence in Star Wars could work well. Maybe even a voice-over - that might be a stretch. But the former definitely.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    There's a video on YouTube of Jake Lloyd talking about life after TPM and how he's been tormented. After reading the comments thread, all I have to say is this:

[​IMG]

PoorGreedo and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  5. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I don't think he did that bad to be honest

far worse child actors out there

6. BoomBach

BoomBach Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2012
    While the prequels were not the best they can be just remember that Lucas had two children and the movies while maybe not for children were highly aimed at them. So, the prequels might of been better without the fans complaining and just let Lucas work.

-NaTaLie- likes this.
  7. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    If you read some casual fans' reviews of the blu ray sets on Amazon there're a lot of positive comments from the parents whose children love Star Wars. It's one of the few franchises you can safely watch with kids of any age (ok, maybe skip through a few moments in ROTS).

8. Jedi Master Kenobi

Jedi Master Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2012
    I was going to say he was fine in the movies, and it sucks that he got treated that way. Well I stand by that but when I read the above quote I think he should stop being a dick. If he wants distance then fine, but don't take money for it and ruin fans experiences at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    That's one of the things i would have loved to have seen: an older Anakin.

It's a shame that Jake got so much hate though, he didnt desserve that.

10. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    True, TPM could have had a 16 yo Anakin with some tweaking here and there.

11. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    Made his life "a living hell" all the way to the bank...

12. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    Kinda hope he wasted him money.

PoorGreedo likes this.
  13. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I'd take a living hell that cements you as an actor in one of the most successful movie franchises in history.

14. San-Tarah

San-Tarah Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2012
    It really fascinates me how much people care about movie stars and celebrities. I never did.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    A lot of people who had nothing to do with SW got bullied in school.

He would do well to consider that.

It's possible he would've been bullied even if he hadn't been in the film, just for being a twerp.

16. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    Not far from the truth, but it is obvious that being in the film would have made it worse.

17. Attariel

Attariel Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    To be honest his parents should have warned him before he did the roll. Any child who appears in a film as a major character and that film turns out to be something big like Star Wars then they are going to be treated differently. This can be seen with several different actors/ actresses and their childhood films. Do you think that the trio of Harry Potter did not get treated differently? They perhaps had it worse because the films followed them through their childhood and into their years as young adults. I remember reading an article in Glamore about Emma Watson having to deal with people teasing her in school about being a know it all. As her character Hermione is. All of the teasing, and trash talk that actors and actresses get is the other side of the coin to their jobs. People only seem to think about the glamore, and fame that comes with being an actor/actress. Many of them dont seem to realize that not everyone will like them in their rolls and that they have to be able to deal with the abuse that people will give them as much as they have to be able to deal with the people that love them. Lloyd cant blame Lucas for his childhood being ruined, if anyone is to blame it is his parents who clearly did not prepare him for what would happen after being in such an iconic film.

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    You know, none of it would be an issue if he'd just given a decent performance. It's not Lucas' fault that he sucked.

19. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Well, GL was the one who picked him.

20. Hero of Tukayyid

Hero of Tukayyid Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2012
    Considering the performances in the prequels and Lucas not caring about the craft it is no wonder that he gave a bad performance.

21. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Just to remind everyone:
    And let's not forget that Jake Lloyd won a "Young Artist Award" (Best Performance in a Feature Film - Young Actor Age Ten or Under) and was nominated for a "YoungStar Award" (Best Performance by a Young Actor in a Drama Film) both for TPM.

22. Hero of Tukayyid

Hero of Tukayyid Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2012
    It was the Sun, now i know its bogus.

23. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I used to have sympathy for him, but now I think Jake's kind of a jerk. What kind of message is he sending to the people who actually enjoyed his performance? Is he saying the naysayers are the only ones whose opinion counts?

Again, the teasing and attention were only expected. But if he wanted to put his reputation in the past, why not act at something DIFFERENT? I doubt the 20-something year old would be typecasted as a young pilot wiz for all his roles. And blaming George Lucas was where I think he really lost it.

Man up, enjoy it for what it's worth, and don't pay attention to the critics.

EDIT: Looks like he was misquoted afterall. Good for him.

24. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    You know, none of it would be an issue if he'd just given a decent performance. It's not Lucas' fault that he sucked.

--------

I was unaware Lloyd wrote his own lines, interesting

how can a nine year old kid say things like "yippee" or "are you an Angel" without it sounding cheesy?

there is only so many ways you can say those lines without being Anthony Hopkins or Laurance Oliver

he was a nine year old playing...a nine year old :eek:

unlike the suggestion of Osment who'd have played a twenty year old in a nine year olds body

Darth_Kiryan, SlashMan and SaberJedi2 like this.
  25. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    Exactly. Excellent post. What were people expecting from a kid? He delivered the cheesy lines about as well as anyone could.....because they were CHEESY. I hate how people get on Lloyd for saying those lines when he didn't write them. Was he supposed to say "well ya know, George, I don't think this sounds well. I know I'm only 9 and that you have pretty much the most successful film franchise in history, but you should listen to me and what I have to say regarding my own lines". He's not Liam Neeson, nor should we have expected him to be.