main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Dagobah Cave and Other Dark Side "Pockets"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Julius Vernon, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I've recently been interested in the dark side presence in the cave of Dagobah where Luke "faces" Vader/himself. I know the back story that Zahn has written and find it interesting. There are other threads similar to this that have been started, but they are closed for comments and I wanted to take a slightly different angle.

Is this phenomena unique to the cave of Dagobah? Is it possible that there is a similar presence/tremor/shadow where the 2nd Death Star was destroyed (i.e. where Palpatine was slain) over Endor? Or in other areas where Dark Jedis have been slain?

Thoughts?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's plenty of places "strong with the Dark Side of the Force" in the EU- but ones that induce visions seem to be much rarer.

And yes, "Where the DS2 was destroyed" has been affected- the Zahn book Dark Force Rising mentions it- Leia passes out when the Falcon flies through it.

3. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I had completely forgotten about the Dark Force Rising scene you mentioned. Is there anything on par with the cave of Dagobah? I've always been extremely fascinated by this cave. Are there EU pieces I may not have gotten to yet that discuss Dagobah in anymore detail?

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    It's a bit more of an EU thing, the mods might move this. From what EU I've read, other such "Dark Side pockets" include:

- remnants of Darth Vader's funeral pyre on Endor (Dark Apprentice, part 2 of the Jedi Academy series)
    - Massassi temples on Yavin (Jedi Academy series again - the spirit of Exar Kun from the Tales of the Jedi comics resides in the temples)
    - location of the Tusken camp that Anakin Skywalker massacred (Tatooine Ghost - the sandpeople believe it's a place of great evil)

I don't recall anything about visions (it's been a while since I read these) - again, this is probably more of a question for the Books, Comics & EU forum, you might get more answers over there, but maybe see if the mods want to move this thread.

ORANGEADDICT likes this.
  5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    For an alternate, non-EU-inspired view... I think the Dagobah cave may not actually be strong with the dark side at all. It's all in Luke's head, and Yoda puts it there as part of the test. He could have told Luke that any place was like that and then sent him in to similar results.

His visit to the cave was confirmed to be a failure. Before he goes in, after Yoda tells him it's strong with the dark side:

Luke: "What's in there?"
    Yoda: "Only what you take with you." (meaning physical objects or thoughts and preconceived notions in your head).

Then:
    Yoda: "Your weapons. You will not need them." Luke disregards this advice and takes them anyway. His expectation of a physical fight manifested itself in the vision he has in the cave.

sykick44 and thesevegetables like this.
  6. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    I don't think these dark side pockets or whatever are worth all the fuss, honestly.
    Sith burial grounds, maybe?

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Well, it's gotta be strong with something, I would think; Luke can't be that suggestive. It could be strong with the Force in general, which would include the dark side. Whatever it is, there's something unusual going on.

8. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Originally it was going to be guarded by some monster, so I imagine the intention was still that there was something strange about the place, although I do like eht13's take on it (the two aren't mutually exclusive).

9. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    And it still is...

TreborSabreon likes this.
  10. Attariel

Attariel Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    why is it that there are only certain areas where the dark side of the force is stronger? I mean the light side seems to be avaiable everywhere so why is the dark side restricted to certain places or nodes of power?

11. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    The dark side is "available" everywhere the Force is.

12. luvlucas-com

luvlucas-com Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 1, 2009
    I once posted about the cave one of the things I mentioned was the straight edges of the "door way" when Luke meets vader in there this suggested to me it wasnt a cave put some sort of temple. I'm still hoping for g1 cannon at some point maybe in the clone wars or detours

13. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Yes. There are pockets. But didn't Sidious know about the evil pocket on Dagabah?

14. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    Sidious probably didn't even know there was a Dagobah. The galaxy is huge and so is the Force. Not everything is known to everyone.

15. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    But didn't a sith die in Dagabah? Sidious should have read up on his sith history, right?

16. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    There is so much to Sith history. Nobody knows all of it.

17. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012

but Yoda did?

18. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    I know things that you don't and you know things that I don't. The end.

19. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    Yoda got lucky and Kenobi was even luckier because why didn't Sidious know where Kenobi was?

20. tsunami1138

tsunami1138 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    Being a Force-user doesn't make you omniscient.

thesevegetables likes this.
  21. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012

Darth Vader could have went back to Tatooine to look for clues

22. tsunami1138

Nov 15, 2012
    Darth Vader never set foot on Tatooine. He was afraid that to do so would awaken the remnant of Anakin Skywalker left within him.

23. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012

is that what a book says?

24. tsunami1138

Nov 15, 2012
    Yes, it is. Given that you say you've read lots of them, you sure miss a lot of stuff...

thesevegetables likes this.
  25. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    Given that he's apparently watched the movies, I must agree.

JoeyArnold likes this.