main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Lawrence Kasdan may write Episode 8

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Serpico Jones, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Well, OK. We'll see.

2. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Exactly. We had this conversation weeks ago. You know, when they called Arndt being hired. ;)

Of course, they're just saying it's a rumor right now.

3. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Miana Kenobi likes this.
  4. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    Well, that's encouraging. I still remain skeptical though.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If they're already looking for writers for part 8-9, I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume the first draft of ep. 7 is done. Not just outline, but actual script. As in, it was done-ish before the deal was even announced.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  6. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
  7. Beaker416

Beaker416 Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2004
    Sorry, habit. I saw a few posts questioning the credibility of the source and I thought maybe a different url was referenced, as mentioned, Deadline is usually pretty credible.

8. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I was wondering when we'd hear a word from Lawrence Kasdan regarding the ST.
    Would be great if the rumours turned out to be true.

9. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    Of course, if true, this is epoch-shattering awesomeness.

10. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    Amazing news. Lawrence Kasdan is definitely a huge signpost that Disney is interested in looking to the OT for inspiration (if that weren't already clear by the fact that the original trio is involved). Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Ark, of course, being the zenith and Return of the Jedi still being quite good (the dramatic writing is all there, but Marquand's direction has a few awkward, stilted moments on Endor--I still adore it, though!).

He's the best guy they could hope for regarding the writing of the continuation of the OT. If, in particular, he's doing the second chapter, while a somewhat family dynamic/lighter writer is doing the first chapter, it might also mean that they're following the Star Wars movie formula of the light heroic film that introduces our new family of characters, followed by the dramatic everything-goes-tits-up tragic chapter and then followed by the conclusion (and it seems that writer has more of a big superhero action flick background). I hope they really get input from Kasdan on the whole trilogy, though.

TreborSabreon and krtmd like this.
  11. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    THR is saying the deals are closed, but that the studios are insisting that official announcements will be posted on StarWars.com.

Both Deadline and The Hollywood Reported are credible entertainment news sites, with sources like agents, producers, etc. who might speak off the record, but aren't in the business of lying. It's a win-win. The reporters get a scoop - and the entertainment peeps get free press.

12. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    I'm giddy as a school boy.

krtmd likes this.
  13. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Disney could be planning to film all 3 movies at the same time.

14. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I really hope this is true!

15. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    This is official, as far as I'm concerned. As has been said before, Deadline and the Hollywood Reporter aren't your run-of-the-mill movie rumours blogs. Their stuff is proven to be the real-deal 99.99% of the time. So no need to question the authenticity.

Why is no one talking about the other guy who wrote X-Men: First Class? Will he be doing Episode 9, then? The Hollywood Reporter also says that Kasdan and the other guy are making deals to produce, too.

16. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Just to be the devil's advocate: Kasdan did have lines like "laser brain" and didn't really help with the half-baked storyline in ROTJ (still don't understand the silly rescue Han plan). And it doesn't look like he's produced any decent work lately.

On a plus, side he knows how to develop script based on Lucas's story more than anyone else (but keep in mind in TESB/ROTJ he used Lucas's drafts, I don't think it's going to be the same here).

LawJedi likes this.
  17. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    That seems to be vague. Both reports seem to suggest that they're working together on one episode.

Furthermore, does this mean that Kinsburg said see-ya to helping Singer with X-men: DOFP?

18. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    It's interesting that neither Dealine nor HR haven't had any substantial directors rumors yet. Either they haven't finalized the deal or they're really good at keeping it under wraps.

19. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    They probably haven't finalized a deal. Disney may want to film these 3 movies at the same time which will put a strain on the director.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I love laser brain.

yodasbum, NileQT87 and LawJedi like this.
  21. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    It would put a heck of a lot of strain on that 2015 release date too.

22. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
  23. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I ecstatic for Kasdan!!!!

24. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    Huh?

25. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    So then we know who will be directing Ep 8 . . . Irvin Kirshner. LOL

Just had to say it. Empire is THE best of the SW films.

Seriously though I don't know if this is a good idea. While I think trhe writers are certainly very good (Kasdan wrote my favorite SW film) I think the ST would be better served by having contuinuity of writing.

However, if Disney got a second team started on the next films, and how do we know they wouldn't consider Kasdan for 8 and the other guy for 9?, it would jump start the ST by having all 3 scripts ready and well polished for filming quickly. Disney then could release a SW movie in 2015, 2017, & 2019 OR if the scripts for 8 & 9 were done then they could film them both in one go (like BTTF 2 & 3) and release them in subsequent summers -- 2017 & 2018.