main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I'm the opposite - I was so glad to be done with school and have absolutely no desire to go back.

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    My husband went back to college using the 9-11 scholarship. He finished his tech certification in a year so he has two more years of fully paid college that can go to his kids or his spouse. LOL! Looking at what's offered. I would rather my kids go on the scholarship but who knows when they will pull the plug on the funding. Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything the local college offers that I am interested in.

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    If it wasn't so expensive, I would be a professional student. Too bad being a professional student doesn't pay very well, and I'd be in debt in the afterlife.

4. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I heard those student loans actually follow you to the netherworld. There is no escape!

Darth_Kiryan and TrakNar like this.
  5. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I got some gorgeous linen/cotton blend boucle yarn from a place in Naas, Co Kildare, Ireland. I have 1kg of it, which is about 1800 yards. So I have a bunch to work with. Only problem is, what do I make?

6. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Sweaters! :D

7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Wow. That's a lot of wool. Make a scarf... for a giraffe.

Actually student loans do follow you after death. Thank goodness I'm going to school on my inheritance and government help. Being an orphan has an upside. A friend of mine - also an orphan - is going to school in the fall and if it wasn't for orphan's benefits, she'd have no money for food. As we often (sarcastically) say "hurrah for dead parents!"

8. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    ouch!

9. bellum stellarum

bellum stellarum Jedi Master

Sep 5, 2012
    Do you know ravelry? There you'll find more patterns than you'll ever need in your life.

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Super-fuzzy and fluffy knitted Daleks! Lots of hats, scarves, sweaters, mittens, socks, mukluks, a big fluffy blanket... The possibilities are endless!

11. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I went to the all-you-can eat chinese buffet yesterday and I was somewhat freaked out by this guy that came in. He was big...about 6'5" and around three hundred pounds...which isn't the reason I was freaked. The guy was armed. He struts in with a loaded 45 Cal pistol on one side and on the other side was a carrier with two other clips.

We have open carry laws here, so it is legal. But it just doesn't seem cool to walk around a buffet restaurant nowadays armed and the fact that you have two extra clips sort of indicates to me he is one of those survivalist.

I have nothing against guns. I use to carry one for my job. But this just was uncomfortable. I just didn't see why a big guy like him needed so much fire power. Unless that restaurant owner once told him, "That's all you can eat. You go home now."

Then while I was coming back home I saw a deer head laying on the side of the road. Just the head. Creepy. I hate hunting season.

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    With the exception of my grandfather's and uncle's hunting shotguns, I don't think I've ever seen a gun in real life, let alone someone carrying one in public. I guess that's Canada for you, and I live in Canada's crime capital (we had more murders per-capita than New York last year).

So I found out yesterday that if I travel on an Canadian airline, my 'travel companion' gets their tickets for free. Yay for being a cripple!

13. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I've shot a gun, thanks to my friends who really like their guns.

10 people coming to my Thanksgiving dinner at 4:30 p.m. Going to be cooking all day and listening to my "Some Frigging Happiness" playlist. And I got Brave to watch with everyone while we're waiting for the food to settle so we can have dessert.

My only regret is that I forgot to get the stuff for candy turkeys.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    It'll be only my son, his father (my fiance) and me, so we will have our usual main dish for Thanksgiving, Cornish hens. They're much easier and less time consuming than turkeys, taste much better, and we won't have leftover turkey 'til March of next year. I look forward to listening to Alice's Restaurant.

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I love Cornish hens.

16. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't get the US's obsession with guns. I know not everyone is like this and that it's the more vocal minority, but any kind of suggestion to stop crazy or dangerous people getting guns is met with outrage. They seem to think that the answer to gun crime is to let more people have guns, which seems like putting out a burning building with a flamethrower to me. It just seems ridiculous how easy it is to get a gun in the US. And then there are all the shootings that happen, and the usual response from the gun nuts is to give everyone guns, instead of looking at how the shooter got the gun in the first place and working to stop it happening again.

I think my problem is that in places with concealed carry the idea is that crime will be prevented because you don't know who's carrying so if you try anything you don't know that no one will stop you. However, knowing there are armed civilians would just make me nervous, and then some 'shoot first' type will do exactly that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with guns being in the right hands, like the military and police (well, armed response units and not regular police), I just don't that includes civilians, unless it's for hunting and such, and even then I think they need to have thorough checks and such.

17. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I've shot a gun before, but even though I come from a place where pretty much everyone hunts, my father never has and I was always so glad. My facebook feed is full of people posing with the deer they shot, their children posing with the deer they killed, etc.. I have no problem with hunting, for food, I just have a problem with glorifying it.

Half of my roommates are gone so my other roommate, my brother, SIL and I are doing a small Thanksgiving with cornish hens. I feel a little bad about not doing the whole traditional thing, but this should be good too!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the US!

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Some days I need to feel like I'm not a disaster and Thanksgiving is one of those days, but no luck so far. First of all, I was finally drifting off to sleep at 7:30 a.m. after lying awake all night when my cousin butt-dialed me. I slept 8-10, then got up and made the stuffing. Then I was in the process of getting the turkey ready for the stuffing when something popped in my wrist. Now it hurts to move it and I still have to make apple pie, peel, cook and mash potatoes; baste the turkey, cook the rest of the stuffing, do the green beans, make the sweet potato casserole... And then step two of my disaster is that I was getting the bird in the oven with oven mitts and burned my arm on the rack. So I'm in pain and really tired and want to go to bed, except I don't have time for that.

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Happy Thanksgiving for all those in the US.

I had my own bird problem this morning. My kriffing cat killed a bird (not the first time) and brought it home to eat it on the back deck. I walk down the hallway this morning, look out the window, and see feathers, blood, a half-eaten bird and my cat. And to make it all worse, the stupid cat got his claw stuck in the mat on the back deck. So my mother made me go out and unhook his bloody claw, while he's still eating/playing with this bird. I nearly barfed.

Have fun eating your turkeys and cornish hens now!

20. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Aw! For what it's worth, I don't think you are a disaster. [:D]

Hehe, sorry, but that doesn't gross me out a bit. I'll enjoy my hen with a big smile thinking of your story. [face_tee_hee]

21. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Happy Thanksgiving to all you US folk (and we're thankful to have the rest of y'all here, too ;) )!

I don't get to spend Thanksgiving with my family anymore since it's just too far and too expensive to travel (and I have to work tomorrow in any case, so I can't even go up to San Francisco like I usually do), but I'll be spending the day with my awesomely nerdy boyfriend, and then joining him and his roommate for dinner at some producer's house. I feel like I should know who this guy is, but I'm just a techie, so I'm less good with the knowing of names that I do not regularly see on the render farm. :p Should be an experience, in any case!

22. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    I totally agree with you. Unfortunately for me, being as skeeved out by guns as I am, I live in a very gun-happy state which just passed an open carry law earlier this year that went into effect earlier this month. No part of me will ever understand why that is a good idea. Oh, and there are nutjobs in the state legislature (not enough, happily) who want to pass constitutional carry laws... i.e. it is every citizen's constitutional right to carry a gun, no permit required.
    :oops:

I want to punch people who use the 'guns don't kill people... people kill people!' line... sure, you could still kill someone with any number of other weapons if you were so inclined, but it would be a heck of a lot harder to kill 30 people in one go, as happened at Virginia Tech 5 years ago, with just about any other type of weapon.

23. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Oh a less depressing note, Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it! [face_chicken](not a turkey, but close enough)
    Back to not caring about football!:p

24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Happy Thanksgiving to all. I had turkey and ham and all the trimmings at my Mother-in-law's house. All the kids were happy because we brought the PS3 and the new Call of Duty Black Ops video game. Nothing says Thanksgiving like shooting zombies in the head with an M16.

I was thinking of Tenel Ka during dinner. My niece's husband went to his best friend's bachelor's party which was at a local (think hick) strip club. He said there was one really pretty dancer at the strip club. She was the lady with one arm. Well, she had most of her second arm...it was gone halfway from the elbow to the wrist. But it didn't stop her from pole dancing. It is nice to see people work through their disabilities.

I am thinking...only in my backwoods town will you see a one armed pole dancer. (and I am not trying to be disrespectful to people missing limbs). Anyway, it just got me thinking of Tenel Ka for some reason. Then I started thinking of Jacen watching Tenel Ka pole dancing...and then it went downhill from there. Why does Star Wars mush always pop into my head?

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Thanksgiving was spent at my brother's in-laws. Then, after we took my grandma home, we spent a few hours cleaning the house, though we barely scratched the surface. Our dad lives there and he doesn't lift a finger. The house is in a deplorable condition and there is absolutely no excuse for it to be such a sty. So, Thanksgiving went from mildly frustrating (our grandma has mobility problems) to RAGEFACE while we scrubbed the bathroom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.