main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    One of the reasons the "micro-series" will always be superior. But they certainly made a go at it in Season One... and then shuffled him into the background after the much-ballyhooed "RISE of the BOUNTY HUNTERS" [sic] and he's never regained his footing.

Zeta1127 and Esg like this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    On the contrary, I loved it. Monarchist Ackbar. Like I said: hilarious. :p

3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Well, he was a tyrant in the classical sense - not elected but not a real king either. Between being that and a Seppie, I thought you would hate him on principle.

But yeah....come to think of it, with Mandalore and Ryloth too, it seems that the show has taken the viewpoint that any foreign military presence whatsoever is oppressive. Even though the Republic is no more foreign to this planets than American troops are in California.....and that would be a very oversimplified position to take in the first place. If TCW was doing WW2, the French probably would have thought the British and Americans were just as bad as the Germans.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Of course *I* hate him -- but I'm not giving them a freebie for lazy writing. :p

blackmyron and Esg like this.
  5. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Basically Vlaklu >>>>> Rash when it came to being an Onderon usurper

The man even dueled the Queen in her throne-room while he had a Drexel Larva beat down the doors

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Bah, Ackbar is loyal to the Calamarian Council and Dac's parliamentary democracy, which apparently includes a figurehead prince. I can live with that. :p

--Adm. Nick

7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Figurehead? So, what, do Mon Cals put statues of him in front of their ships? That'd be kind of weird, don't you think?

8. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    I really enjoyed the last episode with the exception of the space battle. Visually it was very appealing but beyond that it just made no sense. On top of the easy boarding action, the Sep fleet seemed to just drop on them out of nowhere. At no point did Obi-Wan seem worried about there being a fleet near by or seem hurried as though helping the padawans had come on the heels of a retreat, then suddenly out pops Grievious. Are we supposed to believe that he spends all his days just jumping up and down hyperspace lanes looking for a weaker fleet than his own to attack? Perhaps that's why he's such a lousy general, he's actually forgotten he has other things to do beyond chancing various routes.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    OR Grievous is actually secretly working for Hondo, and attacked Kenobi so that Hondo could get away with kidnapping Ahsoka.

...if only.

10. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    You really thought that Grievous was the leader of the droid armies? Just look at him.

11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The trick to TCW (and, frankly, a lot of SW) is the extent to which one can imagine sensible things happening just offscreen. Obi is basically the C story of that episode; the entire battle is only there to justify the younglings not getting rescued right away. Grievous' boarding seems easy because they only have like 2 minutes of screen time to show it, but there's plenty of room to assume more is happening there that the average TCW watcher doesn't need explained to them.

That's why I was okay with Onderon - the stuff we did see was kind of ridiculous, but it's easy enough to assume there's further unstated reasons for the political situation there. Even with the training stuff - for a second it seems like all they're learning is how grenades work, but then in the next episode Steela is doing crazy sniper stuff and and Saw is scaling palace walls, so I'm happy to believe there was much more work going on that we just didn't see.

12. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    So your all for telling and not showing?

GGrievous and Jeff_Ferguson like this.
  13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    On Cartoon Network? Sure. In any event, I'm making an argument for the plausibility of the stories, not the quality of the storytelling.

14. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    This is his archnemsis. Hunting him down seems like a good use of time. And why not? War is about killing the enemy - hunting down isolated enemy units is a common tactic in war.

Furthermore, one of the Clone Wars comics was all about tracking down a spy, because Grievous' ambushes of Republic fleets were too often and too close together to be random chance.

15. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012

Granted he would want to hunt him down but the galaxy is a big place and to see easily happen across him seems highly unlikely. I can agree with what CooperTFN said but what irritates me is that it would take all of a few seconds to explain it away in a brief line such as;

"Cody get to those younglings before Grievous tracks our escape route."

Or to use your example from one of the comics;

"How can he have found us already, I'm starting to think these spy rumours are true."

Not only would that latter example explain Grievous finding them (to a limit) but it would also set up the possibility of a future storyline that they can play off when brainstorming episodes. If they don't follow up on it, then it's simply a remark Obi made that at least offers something for fans to consider.

16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    But that would defeat the whole point of the battle - Cody needs to not get to the younglings or there's no story.

17. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    Not really. Moments after he told Cody to go to the younglings Grievous turned up. That could still play out the same but with those few seconds of dialogue suggesting a plausible reason as to why Grievous just happened upon them.

18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Oh, I get it.

Eh. :p

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The OS finally put up its trivia section for the last episode. I got that most of the kids were some specific animal, but Byph was eluding me. Apparently he was a tree. A very specific tree from the background of an episode last season.

THIS MAKES PERFECT SENSE, TCW. KEEP AT IT.

[​IMG]

20. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Having not see any episodes in this series yet, that image leads me to conclude it has jumped the shark.

CaptainPeabody and CooperTFN like this.
  21. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    That's, like, the exact opposite of what that image means. I don't see how you could even express an opinion more contrary to the truth, frankly.

.....Byph forever, yo.

22. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    Surely that ship sailed when they brought Darth Maul back.

23. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    His name is Byph?

[​IMG]

24. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Or when Ashoka jumped over that shark guy in the Dac Arc.

Jeff_Ferguson, CooperTFN and Zorrixor like this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    TCW's so weird that jumping the shark would occasionally be an improvement.

But seriously this last arc was the good kind of zany. The clever kind.