main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Lawrence Kasdan may write Episode 8

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Serpico Jones, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Fettcrom

Fettcrom Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2004
    Absolutely great news. I'm glad they have a few writers working on the future of Star Wars and Kasdan is part of the family.

2. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I wonder if Kasdan and Kinberg will be producing across the whole trilogy along with Kennedy?

Also, this is as good a time as any to point out SW has a good history with the involvement of K in Kasdan, Kershner and Kurtz, so let's hope that continues further with Kinberg and Kennedy.

3. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    If it is indeed true, this leans toward the possibility that at least some of Lucas' vision from back in the 1980s for episodes 7, 8, and 9 have resonated in the treatment provided to Kathleen Kennedy. All signs are so far pointing toward a cameo from the original cast which is great. I can't help it feel good vibes about this.

4. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    My fellow scousers John (Imagine), Paul (Live and Let Die), George (My Sweet Lord) and Ringo (Photograph) made some truely exceptional solo songs and albums. It's a shame that when they wrote together their work was so crap.

Keep writers apart and only allow one person to write the whole trilogy because they can never work together to produce something better. ;)

5. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    This also means that KK may have meant exactly what she said when she said that they've been meeting with writers to work out the story. They may all have been in on shaping the treatment for the trilogy, with Arndt putting it together.

"I'm with you, too!"
    /LM

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  6. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm not sure I understand the confusion in this thread about Arndt. LF has already said he'll write the screenplay for Ep. VII. These sources say Kasdan and Kinberg are coming on for Ep. VIII and IX, but no further details about how that'll be divided yet. Makes sense to me.

FinleySlade likes this.
  7. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I know. It's really not complicated. Kasdan and Kinberg's involvement won't clash with what we know about Ardnt's involvement at all. I love the idea of all three being part of a brain's trust (which would certainly be the case if Kasdan and Kinberg are producers) who are collaborating from the get go to get the best three scripts possible.

krtmd likes this.
  8. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Another thing: This would, to my mind, strongly indicate that each episode will also have its own director, since they seem to go for diversity in the portrayal of the story. That's what I've been hoping for and I keep my fingers crossed!

"In my experience, there is no such thing as hope"
    /LM

FinleySlade likes this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The problem isn't in the info... it's a problem with the recipients. I don't know if you've noticed the general reaction to everything from non-news to never-will-be-news around here, but people do tend to sign up just to be completely irrational and make the rest of us read it. Something that actually counts as actual news will be confusing to these sort. Getting something truly noteworthy like this announcement has little hope to go over as anything except overwhelming... this is the general response to info on here, whether realistic info or not...
    [​IMG]

10. Varactyl

Varactyl Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    This is the best news possible. So excited! I guess this might also put a little more support behind the idea of the ST being closer to the OT, heh. Can't get much closer than the guy who wrote the best of them.

11. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Lucas wrote the stories for V and VI as well - but he didn't write the screenplay.

Brackett initially wrote the screenplay for Empire - then died of cancer halfway through. Kasdan was brought in to finish the screenplay - thus the two having joint credit.

Kasdan then wrote the screenplay for Jedi.

Arndt, much like Lucas was, is the "writer" in terms of the story - but won't write the screenplay. Big difference.

12. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    My only concern about Kasdan is that he seems to have reached the peak of his writing career in early 80s (with Star Wars, Raiders and Big Chill). Hasn't done anything worth talking about since then.

As for Kinberg, he's written a few successful comedy/action flicks. While Star Wars has used the format of adventure movies, they've always been more profound than a typical action flick. I was hoping Arndt would pen all three.

13. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Brackett's script was rejected (maybe a couple of elements stayed). She gets the credit because of her death.

Lucas wrote the first drafts for both TESB and ROTJ although he only got the credit for ROTJ.

Arndt is definitely writing a screenplay for Episode VII and, it seems, wrote the story for the whole new trilogy.

14. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    It's pretty clear that George wrote the original and treatment, he probably turned it over to other writers to create a expanded treatment or "scriptment" who ever created the best one got the job. 60 pages is
    A bit excessive for a standard treatment which is normally 2-10 pages with a outline. Sounds like arndt took George's brief treatment and expanded on it.

Here's a visual for you, imagine Lucas, Kasdan, Ardnt, Kinberg, and Kennedy sitting around the Lucasfilm conference table with yellow legal pads, brainstorming and coming up with ideas while hashing out the story for 7,8,and 9.

Artoo-Dion and FinleySlade like this.
  15. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Why does AICN have a headline for this story claiming its "official" when there isnt a press release or a news posting on it at starwars.com? Some jornalist at Hollywood Reporter having an inside scoop on it may be 100% accurate (in fact I would bet that it IS true), but it sure as heck isn't "official" yet.

16. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    I like Kasden being involved. Kinberg.........

X-men Last Stand, Jumper, This Means War, the XXX sequel........

17. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah, I'm not to excited about Kinberg. If Kasdan gets 8 and he gets 9, I can't stop seeing X-Men: THE LAST STAND type quality. Dude might pull off a superb script in the end, but it's just kinda worrying. Still just because he's got the job doesn't mean they won't hire some one else if they don't like his work.

18. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Kasdan hasn't been so hot recently, which is unfortunate. Dreamcatcher really is kind of *hurls into a bucket*. Maybe he and Kinberg will balance each other out or something?

19. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I figure Kasdan will still know his way around a good SW script and Kinberg should have plenty of passion and hunger to get this right. Bizarrely one of my first gigs as a writer was a quick re-write of a project that Kinberg had done an earlier draft on (it went nowhere). Had brief email exchange with him and he seemed like a good guy.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  20. smallpaul

smallpaul Jedi Master star 3

Aug 15, 2001
    Great news. The guy wrote Raiders for crying out loud. The single greatest screenplay on the planet.

21. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Does not make sense. In the film industry, the treatment is the story/outline. The screenplay is based on the treatment. They do not write a treatment, rewrite it, and then write the screenplay. They may write a 2nd treatment and base the screenplay off of that but they do not rewrite the treatment. Official Lucasfilm and Disney releases say Lucas wrote the treatment and Arndt is writing the screenplay based off of Lucas' treatment. Nowhere do they say Ardnt rewrote Luca's treatment or wrote a 2nd treatment of his own. He is writing the screenplay based of of Lucas' treatment. Watch the videos and read the official releases.

Story is Lucas', the screenplay for VII only is from Arndt.

22. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Other reports have said that Ardnt delivered a 40/50 pg treatment that covered the whole trilogy. That may have been based on an initial outline from GL, but I'm pretty sure the whole GL's treatments thing was the benefit of shareholders/ sections of the fanbase. They rewrite treatments all the time.

23. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Clearly it's you who doesn't understand how writing films works. Treatments are redrafted all the time.

solojones and FinleySlade like this.
  24. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Other reports yes, official REPORTS and RELEASES state otherwise. What benefit would this have to fans and shareholders?

You clearly don't understand. If Arndt rewrites a treatment, that is a 2nd treatment. If his screenplay is based on that treatment, it is not based on the 1st treatment, i.e. Lucas' treatment. All official reports say Arndt's screenplay is being based on Lucas' treatment, not a subsequent Arndt treatment.

Please provide 1 official source saying Arndt wrote a treament.

25. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    IF this sis in fact true I say it's awesome for us! IMO Kasdan co-wrote the best SW film in Empire. He also wrote Raiders. This is very good news if true! I'm excited about the developments thus far.

Now, does anyone think Disney is "rushing" (IE moving swiftly) on the writing aspect so that these movies can be filmed simultaneously al la LOTR?

If so then that means we could see the ST released in 2015, 2016 & 2017 -- That would be AWESOME!!!!