main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Rick McCallum

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by SaberJedi2, Nov 8, 2012.

1. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    My favorite SW movie is still ANH. ESB is overrated.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  2. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    It isn't overrated, but ANH is beyond terrific itself.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  3. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Willow is better than ANH and ESB. Better action sequences, more convincing "gritty" visual design. And Sorsha in armor > bikini fun Barbie, I mean Leia.

4. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Rick Mcculum got fired because how badly he handled Red Tails. George had to come in to do reshoots.

5. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    It is. Half of of the movie is a filler and almost nothing except Luke/Vader story is developed further. It works surprisingly well considering the lack of actual plot but it has implications for ROTJ.

6. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Now that's a movie that's really underrated (I think it got more following after the video release).

7. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    That sounds closer to truth.

8. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    I think you should read up on what people usually mean when they use the term "filler". You may have that word confused with something else.

9. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Filler is not necessary bad. It often gives a chance on doing something fun, if unrelated to the main storyline. I simply prefer a better plotted film like ANH (really, the only good plot in all six).

Anyway, it's overrated because its flaws are rarely mentioned (most of Han/Leia stuff is silly, for example, and while acting/dialogue is more consistently decent than other installments, it's still nothing to write home about).

10. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    They may be reasonable conjectures. We have no indication, rumor or otherwise, that he was fired. Only a bunch of creeping wishing it.

11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, so Rick was DIRECTING Red Tails now was he? Doing reshoots were planned into the schedule. It was similar to how they did the PT. Write, shoot, edit, reshoot, etc.

All of you McCallum haters with "inside sources" need to back up your talk with some evidence.

Rick retired last Summer because the gig was Prequels, Red Tails, then Lucas' retirement. And remember, Lucas is still doing his own films. I wouldn't be shocked to see Rick produce those.

12. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    My insider source says that your insider source was fired for spreading lies.

"Now THIS is pod racing!"
    /LM

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  13. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    I'm not totally sure where to respond to that but why, in your estimation, is half of the plot "filler"? In your view does good storytelling rely entirely on complex plot machinations? ESB is richer with theme and character work than any of the other Star Wars movies. It's so humanist in its approach that it's almost a Howard Hawks movie in space. It's one of the few that really stands on its own in the pantheon of great movies.

14. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Same here.

15. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Actually, the whole "filler"comment kind of boggles the mind. Empire is one of the leanest flicks I've ever seen.

krtmd and FinleySlade like this.
  16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Can we please get back on topic by bashing Rick McCallum for no good reason?

stormcloud8 and LawJedi like this.
  17. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    I don't know if I can do that. I can, however, criticize him for several good reasons.

18. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    *looks at calendar*

Yup, I didn't slip into the wayback machine. It's still 2012. Just checking.

19. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    I can appreciate a good debate about "which SW movie is the best". I can understand why ESB wouldn't be the best SW movie for some. But "filler" or "or no story at all".......man come on......ESB is the most "characters driven" SW movie by a mile and Kersh made it possible (you just have to read all the book and interview about ESB to understand this)......ESB plays the part of the middle troubled child perfectly....and all the main characters comes out of ESB changed (Even Lando, with little screen time).

ESB is like the Godfather 2, a sequel that drives the whole saga to a second level. ANH is like the first child, I will always love this movie with all my heart because it was love at first sight and you never know if you will be able to fall in love with the same intensity the second time around. ESB is a rare sequel that is as good as the original and then give you something else.

The whole mythology of SW comes from ESB, the Force has never been so interesting than through ESB Yoda.......even the whole character studying parf of Vader has never been so much more interesting than in the whole Bespin stretch of ESB.

You can call me that you prefer TPM to ESB, but never tell me that ESB is not character driven. It's only that, it's the middle part and there's no beginning and no ending. Same thing as with The Two Towers. You don't have to start or resolve anything, you give everything you got to the character.

And BTW, ESB is the most beautiffuly shot SW movie. Forget about the cgi fireworks color of the prequels. ESB is grounded in reality and when comes the fantasy (Yoday teachning, Bespin, even the Hoth part), you get to admire some of the most endearing shots of the whole saga (Yoda/Luke's training with the X-Wing, I am your Father sequence, The whole Solo Carbonite scene, Even the Battle of Hoth is masterfully framed, etc...)

I've studied in a movie school and the whole ESB arc (not as movie, but arc) was a recurrent example of how to take characters introduce earlier and make them more interesting. Through trials and humour, two things that are at the core of ESB.

20. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    McCallum struck me as a nice enough guy, but he also gave me "Hollywood schmoozer" vibes and was a bit too L.A. for my tastes. I didn't expect him to berate Lucas, but I think Lucas would have benefited from more constructive criticism than what McCallum was capable of.

Beyond that, McCallum brought Hales in to rewrite AOTC--we all thought, "Great! This will sort out the kinks in Lucas' writing!" Amazingly, it was the worst of the prequels, and so I also question McCallum's judgement when selecting talent.

Cantina Bassist likes this.
  21. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Would you that it's believe it's been argued on these boards that ESB looks drab?

22. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm not sure McCallum brought in anyone to rewrite anything without Lucas' approval or first suggestion.

23. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Really? Because if there's one thing that defined McCallum's career, it was NOT being in LA or Hollywood.

24. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    I really can't, but I can understand that some would like the style of the prequels better.

25. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    It's a movie opinion. It's not tantamount to Holocaust denial.

The-Eternal-Hero and ezekiel22x like this.