main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    MasterSkywalker86 :
    Right!

Well, Obi-wan had a pretty big role in ANH. I can see Luke's role being something like that. I'd like to see him be fairly active like that in at least two of the films. but if it takes place 30 years after RotJ, I'm expecting him to be preparing other young Jedi to actively protect the galaxy.

I'm thinking we might get more of that in films/tv shows that take place between Episode VI and VII. However, if the new films take place withing 10 to 15 years of RotJ, you might get what you want.

kataja :
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the Sith had a certain philosophy that maybe other darksiders don't share. And whether it's Sith or darksiders, I don't want them to come in huge groups like the thousands in the Lost Sith and One Sith groups.

And I am hoping that we'll get more than just a cameo of Luke.

I don't think Lucas had anything to do with the death of Luke's wife. I believe that was all Karen Traviss. She decided it would be a "great" idea to have Jacen kill a loved one in order to prove he had definitely gone Sith. She was also the one who decided that person should be Mara.

Yes, I'm in full agreement about that!

MasterSkywalker86:

Exactly!

2. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Actually, the process has been pretty well described (Allston talks about it in an interview at Toshi station - I've heard that - but it's also in the Inferno paperback rounrobin that I haven't read yet) . It was a collective desicion (the three writers + the editors etc) but it was Travis who first suggested Mara. The idea was discussed back and forth but in the end it turned out to be a stone rolling they couldn't really stop, even if at least Allston would have liked to. My point is, that LFL could well have been told by Lucas that Mara shouldn't be there when Luke turned 65 - or something like that - and they used the LOTF plot to create that situation. It's a pure guess of course, I have nothing to support it but Allston's mysterious describal of the process that couldn't be stopped, and the fact that Lukes marital situation now seems to be what Lucas visioned originally.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Just saw this and had to share!

We now know what the Disney-LFL films will look like, behold!

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  4. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    kataja :
    Yes, it was Travis who first suggested Mara, AND, (at least according to something I saw her write), it was also her idea to use the killing of a loved one as the impetus for Jacen to fall. Of course, since she was writing with two other authors, she would need to get their approval. So, I'm sure they all had to discuss it before she could do it.

What annoys me also is that not only did she cause Luke to lose his wife, but she also then was able to cause Luke to look terrible and go against his own moral code, by having HIM commit a vengeance killing after Mara's death! :mad:

Probably it was 2 against one and he felt pushed into allowing it to go forward even though he personally would have preferred not to do that. Especially after they waited for him and were patient with him due to his illness, he likely didn't want to cause waves.

That was a long time ago though. I suspect that it's possible that back then Lucas didn't even know that he was going to make the sequel films. And this whole announcement seems to have come as a surprise to the Del Rey people, if that person who took Sue Rostoni's place is any indication. Plus, I really don't think that Lucas would care what happened in the EU. He would do whatever he wanted with his characters and his universe and his story.

Again, the idea to kill off Mara didn't come from Lucas or LFL. It came directly from the authors.

And I REALLY hope that we're not going to get a Luke who never married in the sequel films.

5. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
  6. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    the problem I have with that is Obi-wan was only alive for the first film

7. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    MasterSkywalker86:
    I guess it still hasn't been confirmed, but that's interesting. Thanks for the link! He obviously did a great job with TESB. That was the darkest of the OT films though. I hope the new ones will be lighter.

I didn't mean that Luke's role might be the same as Obi-wan's. I meant that his on-screen time might be similar to what Obi-wan had in ANH. Maybe Luke can have that same amount of screen-time in all three films.

8. kataja

May 4, 2007
    [face_laugh]

He didn't know the sequel films would be a reality, no - but that's not the same as he forgot his old ST idea. I claim that Lucas, all along, has hoped the ST would take some kind of form at some point. It might be a TV series, it might even be a book - but still. I also think, based on his condition they mustn't kill Luke - has tried to hold a path open for it. Whether that path is open or not , time will show. But George Lucas is above all a man of visions - he wouldn't forget or completely abandon 1/3 of his main idea.

I've often seen this claimed - but I think it's more a reaction on our own disappointment with the EU than the truth. Obviously, Lucas can/could do what he wants. Obviously he will/did - but only to a certain point. It is still the fans who made the rise of the EU possible, by buying the stories and the franchise. It is the EU that laid the ground for the PT. It's the PT that made CW possible - etc. And Disney and the new lead in LTF will know this to be true too.

Another thing then, is that I think Lucas' is still, and always will be - a fanboy in his heart. I think he's damned SW a loong way a thousand times over his life - I think he's been seriously disappointed ith us fans - but that's not the same as he doesn't care. His vision was another one than the EU - but if they can be combined -. why destroy all the work that's been done?

I can see a reboot come at some point. At minimum, the stories have to be heavily changed if they're to work as mevie or TV adaptions. But I mantain that I don't think the reboot is now. They can easily work around the present EU - and wait and collect goodwill by creating a good ST.

9. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Agreed his idea for the ending of ROTJ was beyond bleak, I'm happy GL reigned him in.

[face_praying]

10. kataja

May 4, 2007
    What was his idea for the ending of ROTJ?

11. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Whoops I meant Gary Kurtz the producer, although Kasdan did want Han to die too.

"We had an outline and George changed everything in it," Kurtz said. "Instead of bittersweet and poignant he wanted a euphoric ending with everybody happy. The original idea was that they would recover [the kidnapped] Han Solo in the early part of the story and that he would then die in the middle part of the film in a raid on an Imperial base. George then decided he didn't want any of the principals killed. By that time there were really big toy sales and that was a reason." The discussed ending of the film that Kurtz favored presented the rebel forces in tatters, Leia grappling with her new duties as queen and Luke walking off alone "like Clint Eastwood in the spaghetti westerns," as Kurtz put it"

http://movieline.com/2010/08/13/the...rn-of-the-jedi-did-not-include-an-ewok-party/

12. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Hey! :eek: I just realize something! What they say here isn't that Kurtz wrote this - but that he favoured this ending! And in this ending, Luke walks off to be a hermit! This ending! Which means they basically already gave up this ending!!!! [face_batting]

Ok, wishing thinking, maybe, but still... [face_blush] :p

13. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    good catch, I see no point in this ending for Luke since basically he goes on to do nothing afterwards....seems to be rather meaningless.

also Happy Thanksgiving to everybody ! :D

14. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Thank you! Same to you! (would that be a proper reply? Help me, ye natives ;))

Exactly. Its' a possible ending - if it ends there! But now we know it doesn't. And as I wrote on the Luke-married-or-not-thread, I hope they'll think a bit forward when doing this new trilogy. If they allow Luke to have been married to Mara as in canon, they can use him as they want, no wife hanging around but they can benefit from the Skywalker name having been carried on. If they n the other hand state that he's not married never was, the crap will start the moment they decide to go back and tell the story between the OT and the ST - which they will, eventually, and probably sooner than later. Just like with ObiWan and Qui Gon, love interests will start to emerge and we'll find us back in the pre-VOTF mess. And I would HATE that. I like sound romances in fictions - but when was a SW romance ever sound? Han and Leia - maybe. And one where we'd know the only reson they can't have each other is because some idiotic code???? That drove Luke's father to tthe DS in the first place. No thanks. Not for my Luke! Not anymore! [face_not_talking]

15. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I would also love to see what Luke can truly do in the Force in the new films, about time we see what a Skywalker can truly do.

ChildOfWinds, colojedi7 and kataja like this.
  16. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i can only hope they show luke as supremely powerful

17. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Just watched Kung Fu Panda 2. I would love to se Luke introduced with an "inner peace" scene like that of Master Shifu's. :p

Oh - and action later of course - but I'd love to see him like totally cool and balanced.

ChildOfWinds, colojedi7 and Jedi Ben like this.
  18. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Finally picked up something relevant to Luke. Ryder Windham's A New Hope: The Life of Luke Skywalker. I'm enjoying it so far; I really liked the Darth Maul and Obi-Wan biographies, though the one about Vader spent way too much time covering the movies again.

Right off the bat, I love how it's portraying Luke as a very strange child. A goodhearted one, but one who's obviously very gifted. I love Beru's reaction upon figuring out that Luke may be showing signs of being able to use the Force.

For those who haven't read it, here are some cool moments/implications from the first two chapters.
    - At only four years of age, Luke apparently senses that Obi-Wan is watching him. He doesn't know specifics, and Beru convinces him it's just his imagination, but it's cool to see the Force manifesting itself in Luke so early.
    - Similarly, at four years of age, Luke is able to figure out his aunt Dana has a new landspeeder just by the sound of the engine. We don't really see Luke's technical skills come into play that often, so it's nice to see them noted.

Also, when Owen decides to teach Luke to use a rifle, I found his line "You can thank me by living a good, long life" of some poignancy. I don't know if I'd say Luke's lived a "good" life, but he's accomplished a lot, and is currently older than Owen was when he died (with Owen's rifle training likely saving him a number of times in the Rebellion days).

19. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    kataja:
    It's possible, I suppose.

Then what do you think Ms. Kennedy meant when she said that the new sequel films would be a completely new story?

As long as it's going to happen eventually, I think it makes perfect sense to do it now if they absolutely must. Either announce that they're going ot keep the EU or that they're not going to be bound by the EU, and stick with it. If they are going to do a reboot anyway, it seems to me that when they're starting a new film is the perfect time. I really hope that they will keep the EU until SQ, but if they're planning to negate it at some point, I guess I would rather not have them "tease" us into thinking that the EU to that point was safe, and then pull the rug out from under us soon after.

MasterSkywalker86:
    That would be great!

I'm glad they didn't end RotJ that way. That would have been a very disappointing ending. I like it so much better that Luke, Leia, and Han were all alive and well and got to continue to remain friends/family.

kataja:
    Let's hope they don't decide to go back to something similar in the future trilogy.

MasterSkywalker86:
    I completely agree!

!

Thanks! I had a wonderful one! I got to see and have a delicious Thanksgiving dinner (and many other meals) with lots of family members who came from all over! We celebrated four birthdays that were within a week of one another too. I hope yours was great also.

kataja:
    And I do think that having the Skywalker name carried on will be a huge plus for the future of the franchise. I hope that either George Lucas has changed his mind about Luke not having a family or that the new people in charge will overrule him on this.

I definitely agree!

MasterSkywalker86:
    I'm with you on that!

JediMatteus :
    Yes!

kataja :
    Yes! So would *I*!!!!

ID, I'll respond to your post tomorrow!

20. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    My thinking is that they cover the search for and final installation of Luke (and perhaps Leia) on Mortis.

That would be fully in line with the entirely out-of-context insertion of the Mortis episodes into TCW, GL's known protectiveness towards Luke (and, by extension, Leia) and all the hints we have seen or heard about in recent books (Plagueis, Apocalypse and Book of Sith). It would be nice to know what Crucible is al about, though - as for SotJ, I am thinking that it is a very good way of keeping Jaina, Ben, Allana and Tahiri occupied while the ST freight-train rumbles through!

That scenario also wraps-up any loose ends of the Chosen One Prophecy in the ethereal manner that GL is said to have planned for the third trilogy.

Other than that, just that the ST was not going to be an adaptation of an existing book or books.

21. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Went back to study the link... hmm... I agree the second Death Star was a low point, I remember being 14 and thinking oh no, no, no...That said, I think Han's death would have changed the character of the films too much. I mean, first use the first 1/3 of the movie to rescue him, then watch him die? Baad idea. Plus all the stuff we've been talking about earlier taht you don't have to kill characters in order to do a serious movie. Still, I think Han's character in ROTJ and the film generally, suffered of not quite knowing what it wanted with anyone but Luke and Vader...

I read it a couple of years ago and enjoyed the Tatooine parts immensly. The latter stories were a bit weak, though, as far as I remember I should read it again, though. It was pretty easy and quick to come through.

Looking back at it, I don't quite like how it stops where the films ends. As little as I like that the post ROTJ EU was erased from StarWars.com :(

*sigh* I fear my take on what will happen changes with my energy. The past days, I've been pertyy certain they'll b´reboot the lot and throw Mara Jade and Luke's amrriage down the trashbin. :( What I hope it means, is that we'll get a story that's set a place in time where we haven'st seen anything happen yet and that it will feature mostly new heroes and defdinitely new villains/therats. I guess it could contain some EU heroes we know, but the main protagonists would be someone we haven't met before. A but like the Galfriiands in Invasion, maybe. Except taht I still think it will be Skywlakers and Solo's and that somethng will happen in Crúcible taht makes it possible for Luke, Hand and Leia to join the story even if its set forward in time. That could be "a completely new story" - with exciting new, uncharted territory to explore.

But it could also mean that they'll draw a big fat cross over the EU and just start somewhere around 40 -50 ABY and we'll have to spend the years between episode VII and VIII guessing what EU is still valid and what's not, assuming most of it ain't. Not my favourite vision. I guess could live with taht, if Mara was in it and she and Luke was an issue, though... And it would of course open up for new , maybe better stories...

I guess I could even accept if Luke and Mara never married - as long as I could see the together in the new film, and see the spark between them. Maybe they could even find each other on their older days [face_blush] a bit like Helen Mirren and Brian Cox's romance in R:E:D: - maybe the best romance I've seen in recent years - utterly sweet and well told - but using very little space filmwise.

And in part VIII, Mara could drop the bomb and tell Luke he has a grown up son :p

I see your point and definitely think the last option would be the worst too. Then, again, if the new episodes didn't really say more about the EU than that the Empire was beaten, the NR restored, Leia & Han had kids who had kids and Luke similar... yeah - and mention Mara! [face_not_talking] That would be ok too with me.

We agree completely on that!!!!!

If would fit well, yeah... [face_thinking] I guess my only problem with that is that I find it pretty hard ro see a cool way to do this on film. Even on a long run like a trilogy. Call me old fashioned, but I think too much meta-stuff kills a good adventure. One thing the OT really managed was to have it in, yet not let it fill to much. But if Luke's like going to spend the next eternity balancing the Force, it will need some advanced babbling first - and I, at least, am not very interested to listen. Not if they let him monk himself through his life only kissing his sister.

But I agree it will be nice to know what Crucible is about. I still place much hope in that book.

22. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    kataja

I have not had a chance to read much more of it, but I know that it incorporates canon from Tatooine Ghost, so it doesn't completely ignore the post movies period. My first instinct would be to end the book with Luke's discussion with Obi-Wan in Heir to the Empire, but that was the endpoint for the Obi-Wan biography, so Windham probably doesn't want to appear redundant.

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I was 7, trust me, it was bloody cool! :)

24. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Your post made me aware that there's a whole lot of Luke in that Obi-Wan biography! Cool! :D I bought it secondhand for a mere song, but was still annoyed with myself because my bookshelf is full. But now I see I did a good buy [face_batting]
    Yeah, the Luke biography ends a little odd. Right in the middle of nowhere, sortof.

[face_laugh]From that certain point of view, I can agree ;)

25. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    I hope Disney does not mess with the NJO series, destroying the timeline. If they are going to delete some of this timeline, fine start with Dark nest. The NJO was awesome. I know Luke was not that great it in till the second half of the series, but too much was great there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.