main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Lawrence Kasdan may write Episode 8

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Serpico Jones, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Master Hamahiga

Master Hamahiga Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    For the record, I like the PT films for what they are and I appreciate their contribution to the Star Wars universe. However, the dialogue throughout the PT films was stilted at times and that hurt the overall quality of the films. My biggest hope is that they find a way to eliminate that kind of dialogue/acting for the ST films. Also, using more real world location shooting as opposed to primarily green screen would also help to give the films a more realistic look that won't become antiquated like some of the CGI shots from the PT are beginning to do.

2. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    ??

but there is a clear difference between outline and treatment, just as there is a clear difference between treatment and script.

they are industry professionals and know the difference between outline and treatment, as does Pablo Hidalgo, and all of them say treatment.

3. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Actually, the line could easily be blurred between outlines and treatments. I'm an industry professional and I've heard both terms used and applied to the other, if that makes sense. And, yes, there are always gaps in treatments, but some treatments have more gaps than others. For example a 7 page treatment is usually going to have more gaps than a 15 pager.

4. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    A treatment can be as little as a single page and include all the characters........but it really doesn't matter, whatever happens it'll be Arndt's dialogue spoken by the actors in which ever director's vision of Episode VII. GL will recieve the credit for characters and story even though he'll only be providing the road map for the story to follow.

5. Master Hamahiga

Master Hamahiga Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    It is good to know that it will be Arndt's dialogue as opposed to Lucas'.

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Likewise, a 40 page treatment most likely indicates a scene by scene outline, or nearly that. That's about right for a 120 page script. I work in TV and when I've compiled scene by scene treatments for 50 page scripts they're usually about 15 pages. They tend to contain a lot of details on how scenes go, snatches of dialogue, and alternate ideas that can be used.

Of course, everyone writes treatments differently. But that's my experience.

FinleySlade likes this.
  7. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Agreed - 40 pages would be very in depth, scene by scene stuff with pretty much just the dialogue to add. On this one though, the reports mention the 40-50 pager covers the entire trilogy, so you'd be looking around 15 pages per Episode. Normally my treatments for a feature script are around the 15 page mark but I have gone into much more detail at around 30 - 40 pages. Of course, you get far more detail in but equally, no one wants to read that much if they can help it so, sometimes, the less pages the better. Really it all boils down to what feels right I think.

8. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Dialogue isn't the only thing a screenwriter can bring in. Specifics of action sequences could be his ideas as well.

9. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Of course. Also themes, subplots, locations, characters... All sorts of new ideas and beats.

10. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Yes, these are all generally things a writer is required to do.

FinleySlade likes this.
  11. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Exactly.

12. Snydbo

Snydbo Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2012
  13. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    This is my favorite LK movie:

He barely stretched his legs on ESB. If he comes back, I hope they let him really take it as far as he can.

14. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    I certainly hope he gets his old mojo back, because I think its been since about Wyatt Earp that he's made a strong film.

15. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Hopefully the team of Arndt, Kasdan and Kinberg will balance out any individual weaknesses. I've got faith that Arndt will bring pathos and Kasdan will get back to the core spirituality of the OT. (What Kinberg brings to the table, I'm not sure.)

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Me either.

17. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    For what it's worth, it's been reported on IMDB's front page (out of two different sources, one of them HR), and on Dark Horizons' newsdesk. One would hope that the rumour's founded, with how fast it's been spreading...

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

18. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    What Kinberg likely brings to the table is a Hollywood hackness and deep misanthropy (Based on Mr. & Mrs. Smith).

And this is not a rumour anymore, its fact.

19. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Comedy with action?

20. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I've only seen X-Men 3 and Sherlock Holmes, but based on those two, I can't disagree.

LawJedi likes this.
  21. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Frankly, if he wasn't mentioned in the same sentence as Kasdan (who is the most logical choice to write Star Wars, if Lucas isn't available), then I would be panicking.

How do you mean it's not a rumor? Or do you mean the HR confirmations (which I'm not disputing)?

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  22. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    Oh I completely agree with you--no arguments from me on that. There may very well be a list of writers when all is said and done--look what they went through for Indy 4 (and I'm sure 5 will go through the same if they ever get around to it.) And maybe I am crazy to be thinking logically about this haha.

It just seems a bit strange to have Arndt write a treatment for the whole trilogy, then start penning episode VII, only to bring in additional writers for (presumably) the sequels. As far as we've heard he hasn't even completed the first draft yet (although I haven't checked the news recently.)

Indy went through so many writers and so many drafts because Lucas and Speilberg couldn't agree on a satisfactory script. Using that logic (should I even bother?) one would think that they would at least let Arndt turn them in a finished later draft to see how good it is before bringing in more hired guns.

Unless there is something we don't know, like maybe Arndt has a scheduling conflict that prevents him from penning the sequels, or Kasdan and others are just being brought in as consultants or script doctors (although there has to be a finished script before any doctors can go to work on it.)

Also not to be dismissed is that Lucas offered the writing job for the PT to Kasdan and Kasdan turned it down. Kasdan hasn't written a script for a film he didn't direct since ROTJ. And he didn't even want to write ROTJ. He only did it because he felt he owed Lucas for giving him his shot in Hollywood. Yeah maybe Disney offered him alot of money but I'm sure Lucas didn't offer him peanuts either when he asked about the PT job.

But who knows? Maybe his mind has changed. He hasn't done anything good for a while now and a good Star Wars sequel could re-ignite his career. I for one, will throw a party if he gets the job, but in this crazy world of Star Wars rumors I'm not getting my hopes up until it's official.

On a side note, does anyone else think Lawrence Kasdan looks like Michael Moore?

23. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Yeah, I just mean that if it's been reported by the Hollywood Reporter than it is (at this point anyway) a real thing. People seem to be treating it as a rumour because the official website hasn't issues a press release or posted a video.

LawJedi likes this.
  24. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Agreed. I fear that this is going to be a pattern for ST news.

25. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    The director will no doubt be the next Deadline/THR leak. What's most interesting is that Vulture scooped both regarding Arndt.

LawJedi likes this.