main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Rick McCallum

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by SaberJedi2, Nov 8, 2012.

1. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Yes. It's like American Idol in that way. :rolleyes:

Again, dude, it's the certitude, the insistence for only acknowledging ESB in superlative terms, that is like nails on the chalkboard.

If you're so certain that it's an undeniable, universally accepted masterpiece, high above all other mere mortal space operas, why are you so invested in reinforcing that point? What are you a Yankees fan? :p

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Empire is unequivocally the best looking film of the series, I mean, just the cinematography of when Vader faces off against Luke in the carbon freezing chamber ... I mean, damn.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This is still grim news...

[​IMG]

Count Yubnub likes this.
  4. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Effing Grim. HAS ANYONE SEEN LIAM'S WIG?!

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Grim. Bold.

6. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    I am typing in a BOLD font there fore I am right!

yodasbum likes this.
  7. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I'm not all that invested in it. You're overestimating my passion on the subject because you have an axe to grind. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, just putting my opinion out there for the sake of discussion, if not for the sake of hijacking a thread.

yodasbum likes this.
  8. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I use this font 'cause I have a hard time reading the smaller font against the gray/blue background.

Also, I never said anyone was "right" or "wrong". And I never said ESB is a bad movie.I just disagree that it's the best or most interesting or that it took SW much further than the original film.

9. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Not that it means anything, but I do use the word "subtext" on an almost daily basis. Than again I have spent several years of my life writing literary critiques.

10. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    No, you've been very eloquent and engaging on the subject, as have most of the ESB supporters in the thread. Notice I was careful to disparage "most." ;)

DarthLowBudget likes this.
  11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I find the romance boring in both ESB and AOTC.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  12. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001

13. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    What were you expecting? Some Brazzers actions?

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm just not a fan of romance that doesn't involve me.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    [face_laugh] o_O

16. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    What ish it with Ricksh?

17. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Hales was someone they'd both worked with previously on YIJ. It reflected the old LFL style of using "in-house" talent instead of recruiting Hollywood hot-shots.

I really can't find anything negative to say about McCallum. He helped Lucas to make some of the most ambitious and interesting films of his career and never had a negative word to say about anything. What all this fanboy rancor is about is completely beyond me. I guess since the advent of the internet everyone's an expert on everything, especially movies, which isn't surprising, since when it comes down to it that's just one opinion against another.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  18. My favorite Ithorian

My favorite Ithorian Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 6, 1999
    Do we actually know what McCallum really thinks about the prequels or to what extent he tried to influence Lucas to change certain things?

Maybe he hated them, and thought Lucas was terrible, and tried to change Lucas's mind as much as he could. He's hardly going to admit to anything like that in public. It's just common courtesy.

19. garrwars

garrwars Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 31, 2011
    Anyone consider this...

What if Rick McCallum didn't get fired or retire, but he's just moving away from Lucasfilm so he can produce George's new small, low budget, art movies?

20. budspencer

budspencer Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    To be honest Rick always seemed to me to be the type of guy that "seemed" to want to say to people that he invented the star wars universe. Up to the point that he was kind of arrogant about it in some interviews i saw. I think he had way too much power over Lucas up to now and that a lot of stuff that we don't like might be actually been enabled by him in some shape or form. Yes he made things happen but it looked like he was trying to steal the show from under George's feet. We will never really know. But one thing for sure is that if he had been in the blessing of George, he would have chosen him over Kathleen Kennedy to fully run the show. So something is or was amidst in the end and they parted way on "friendly" term with probably a good compensation package....

21. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Rick was never on Kennedy's level. She was a poducer and co-founder of Amblin entertainment with Frank Marshall and Spielberg. She ran that company and the Kennedy/Marshall company for years, as well as producing numerous films. along the way.

Rick produced the PT and the SEs and Red Tails, but he didnt run Lucasfilm. Former Lucasfilm President Micheline Chau did.

So it's not a surprise to me at all that Rick was "passed over" for Kennedy. She can run the company and produce films. She's done it for decades.

22. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    [​IMG]

DarthMak likes this.
  23. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Star Wars shouldn't encourage cross-species erotica. It's just not on.

24. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    well she was raped by Jabba...maybe he made a tape

25. Darth Shibs

Darth Shibs Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Read these about his lack of direct involvement in the OT....and we saw the results when he had power over everything in the PT:
    http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/beyondgeorgelucas.html

and

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/marcialucas.html