main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Why all the EU Hatred?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by JediMJS, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    You're talking to someone who:

• Hasn't paid for anything SW in over a year. I don't own any of the Blu-Rays and have no interest in owning them. I have one set of DVDs, which contains the original OT, so I'll never need any more.
    • Didn't even see AOTC or ROTS in theaters. I'm not even sure if I'll go see the ST. Depends on what I'm doing at the time.
    That first book will probably be a novelization. I haven't read a single SW novelization. I also didn't read any of the direct tie-ins to the prequels until after I saw the prequels. I wanted to experience the movies in a vacuum without EU perspective of them.

I agree, I've said this is the most likely scenario since I first heard there will be new movies. There's evidence of it here in this forum.

But they'll never get another EU dollar out of me. The words "what really happened" mean nothing when you consistently change "what really happened".

tsunami1138 likes this.
  2. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Can you accept having just one (Ben/Jaina) namedrop in an otherwise EU-free film -- or does that turn it into an EU movie?

tsunami1138 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  3. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Heck yeah, slap him silly.
    So you in?

4. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    To what end? Drop a name of a child you never see?

5. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I guess so... *Loads a blaster rifle*

"No blasters!"

Damn.

6. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Kyris Cavisek, I think common sense dictates an approach that is more like the TCW retcons. I could accept characters by the names Jaina, Ben, and Mara Jade with the same basic backgrounds, because I think that they have a strong enough presence in the overall franchise to be used in the movie. As Filoni would say, there are certain truths that we all accept about Star Wars even if they aren't on the screen, like tendril aliens being called Twileks. I think Mara Jade is one of those truths. But I think it would be akin to using Marvel comics superheroes in a movie universe, and not a validation of some canon.

I don't see a world where post-ROTJ EU is still being readily discussed in two years. I think we're going to look back on this discussion of Lucas's intentions as being a variation on the gourd vs. shoe scene in Life of Brian.

7. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Please just answer the question. [face_waiting]

8. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Not in this case

"There are two worlds here," explained Lucas. "There's my world, which is the movies, and there's this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe—the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don't intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies. I don't get too involved in the parallel universe."

Sothat parallel universe not intrude on his (so whatever has happened int he EU has no baring what Episode VII will be) between the movies it intrudes (Which means being there without permission).

9. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    If you can accept the character with bland backgrounds then we are still inline. It doesn't validate the EU it never will . However it allows for the Eu to still exist in its current form

10. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Honestly, I know most of hte EU story and would be fine with an EU movie.

I'm just realistic about whats going to happen. And no, if they establish that Han and Leia have one son, and he is the/a main character of the movie, it would be beyond stupid to mention a sister by name that you never see or hear about again.

LawJedi likes this.
  11. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    It's not about bland backgrounds, it's about distinct backgrounds. Backgrounds that fit the intentions of the movie writers.

But keep on worshiping that gourd, buddy. ;)

12. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    Sadly fenton comes across as a person who wanted to get into the EU, never did so is angry with it and wants it dead as he dislikes the fun times others have had experiencing it. Sad really as KotOR, the Jedi Knight Series, Tales of the Jedi etc were some of the best Star Wars stories since the OT. As a EU fan myself, it is SW at the end of the day and your generalisation of 'no EU fan can accept change/won't accept the new trilogy over established canon' as bonkers.

Most EU fans see the films as the highest level of canon, above all else and would not want to see the EU hinder the new writers. Retcon is a great tool and works well with a flexible universe like that of Star Wars, in the end of the day it's all about enriching the films by saying there is more to the universe they inhabit, it's up to you to explore it.

Go on Fenton, dive in & have fun, the EU is for everyone after all. May I recommend 'The Golden Age of the Sith'

KamSolusar and tsunami1138 like this.
  13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Damn, that is some hardcore basher cred.

14. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    [​IMG]

15. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    I was very heavly into the EU during hte Bantam days, and while I'm not as into it as I used to be, I still follow it and read some (though not all anymore) of thebooks that come out. I probably know it as well or better then most of the people arguing in favor of it.

I'm just realistic about Episode VII is going to do. Kennedy has been clear that they aren't using hte books (she said they don't have a book series to go by) and that Lucas is their creative source. There is no reason to beleive Episode VII won't steamroll the EU.

I'm also a business man and I can/do look past by own wants and desires as a fan (i would love a Thrawn Trilogy movie series, but its not likely). Disney is a corporation that NEEDS to turn big profits on Star Wars not only to make back the 4 billion they spent to get it, but have it be a profitable part of their company. They will most likely start publishing Star Wars novels themselves once the del Ray lience argument expires and hey will want to sell books, more books then they are selling now. To do that they have to increase readership. THe best way to dot hat is to make the EU as inviting as possible, and having a situation were new readers not only have to tackle 30-40-50 novels to get caught up on everything (a huge and daunting task on its own) but also have to search out a website which will tell them all the fixs and all the areas that the books are wrong isn't the best way to make it inviting to new readers. The best way to make it inviting is to start is over. Let people see the movie, and go buy 1 book that support that story and us those characters, and then sell them another and another etc....

And that happening does absolutly NOTHING to take away or destory the fun time other people had experiencing the EU. On the contrary it makes it more likely that MORE people will be able to have that experience and gives the non-bitter EU fans who give the new material a try, a new, fun experience.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    The thing is, this is really nothing new.

TCW has already shown they're willing to ****-can recent EU. And for years it was implicitly assumed that the Marvel era had been thrown out. And the TPM novel ignored the TOTJ/DLOTS comics, et cetera.

17. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    This whole issue is as old as Dark Empire, so everyone who got on board after 1994 could have known what they're getting into. To act offended now is either hypocritical, willfully blind or just v badly informed.

agentkrycek likes this.
  18. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    ... Right on, Fenn!

19. Disciple-of-Tython

Sep 12, 2006
    No one is arguing that Ep VII will most likely steamroll post ROTJ canon, it would be crazy not to. That's when retconning comes into force. That being said getting rid of the entire EU would be too drastic, there is nothing wrong with the pre-established stuff, many new fans I think would like the idea of all this history, just look at new Whovians, there's 50 years worth of stuff there and they love diving into it!

20. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    It wouldn't be drastic at all. Retconning 20-30 years of materail because the children are wrong, Luke didn't married, Chewie is alive etc.... would basically get rid of the entire EU as it exists anyway. I twould just do in such a way that you couldn't sell the current books anymore. No new reader is going be ok reading a novel, being confused as well because it doesn't match the movie, and somehow find out they need to go to a website to get "the real" story. If Episode VII is an EU movie, I completley agree with you. If its not, huge, sweeping retcons just make it harder for Disney to make money.

Cantina Bassist and LawJedi like this.
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Not the entire EU, just the post-ROTJ EU. At this point much EU takes place before the films or between them.

22. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Read GL's statements -- no more movies....

Don't know what Dark Empire has to do with anything, And I don't read (cannot get copies of) the comics anyway.

tsunami1138 likes this.
  23. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Now that's just impossible - never heard of second-hand, car-boots or garage-sales? There will always be copies out there (until they fall apart). I believe there are laws against that sort of thing - unless proper compensation is paid.

24. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    The Dark Horse app for iPad (maybe other tablits, I dunno) has a lot of their Star Wars material on it. If you can't get the the books, thats a good optionfor you

25. Disciple-of-Tython

Sep 12, 2006
    Pre-Prequel EU wouldn't have changed much because it, post ROTJ most likely, therefore maybe a reboot of post ROTJ EU if the films contradict what is already there. I'm cool with but not everything needs scrapping, I mean its Disney's now anyway so wouldn't it be better for them not keep it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.