main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Why all the EU Hatred?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by JediMJS, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Get rid of means - its no longer canon, not selling copies of hte current stuff, not publishing new material dealing with those characters etc.... It means when that person walks out of Episode VII and is really jazzed aboutStar Wars and goes to a Chapters and looks for a Star Wars novel, there will be a new hardcover sitting there, by Disney Books, that ties into Episode VII and deals with the universe that Episode VII created.

2. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    I neither own, nor can afford, an iPad or similar -- anyway, the cat would probably get at it, she plays with everything else, whether she's supposed to or not.

3. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Since it's pretty likely that Episode VII will not bother with the convoluted history of post-ROTJ EU, the real question is this:
    What will happen to pre-ROTJ EU?

For instance: if the Vong get scrapped, what happens to Outbound Flight, Rogue Planet, Shatterpoint, and all the other pre-invasion material in which they're mentioned?
    And if they bring the axe back further and scrap Thrawn, what happens to all the relatively new pre-ROTJ Zahn wrote?
    What will be the canon status of something like Vector?
    And while we're pondering this, the Clone Wars cartoon is chugging on, steamrolling over the old Clone Wars comics. What will be left when that smoke has cleared?

I personally don't care much for the continuity of things, but I'd hate it if the scrapping of material would anger good authors. So I just hope they do it in a civilized manner.

Force Smuggler and LawJedi like this.
  4. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    By EU thats what I mean, its just easier to say EU then post RotJ EU everytime.

Of course I also wouldn't be surprised if, at some point, Disney makes a movie or tv series that means other areas of the EU are condradicted and removed.

5. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Until there is a class-action to get the characters etc. back. Exactly how Microsoft got it in the wallet ISTR.

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I was busy being a teenager when AOTC and ROTS came out.

VII is over two years away, who knows where I might be by then?

I might be way into meth in 2015.

stormcloud8, Esg and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  7. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    So, that'd be badly informed. The companies that create the books you enjoy have a known history of leading their fans by the nose. The fact that you don't know that just implies how good they are at it.

8. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I would bet hard cash that we get a Star Wars: The New Republic cartoon set right after ROTJ, that uses EU characters like Thrawn, Rogue Squadron, and Mara Jade, while blatantly overriding all established book/comic canon. That's just free money sitting out there. And it's a plus to get TCW viewers invested in the post-ROTJ era.

9. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    I dunno about using Thrawn, or Mara Jade or anyone else that has been established in the current EU, we'll have to see what is done in Episode VII first. But I wouldn't be shocked at all to see that kind of tv show. Episode VII gets a bunch of kids into star wars in a big, bad way, they'll want more media to consume.

10. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    No, in my lexicon it means having been induced to buy under misrepresentation - the statement is public domain and the publishers had nothing to do with making that statement.

11. San-Tarah

San-Tarah Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2012
    Or if they are bold the Legacy comics would make a great cartoon series.

12. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    Then there'd be a big problem for Disney, there is a huge following of the Old Republic era of SW, so much so GL has even commented on this period of SW history. One of my mates never was interested in the films but they got into SW through KotOR, she then read the prequel comics to the games and now plays The Old Republic. To suddenly say to people like her that this SW is now obsolete and will no longer exist would create a huge backlash, which ain't going to happen. There's to much $$$$ to be had and too much $$$$ would be lost.

13. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Depends if its done well. Those 5 books you read......well no so much anymore, but here is 7 seasons if a great tv show........a lot would be forgiven.

14. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Bold=don't like money?

You don't like money? I like money. Putting Luke, Han and Leia in an animated series=money

Adapting a comic that 12 adults enjoy, but doesn't have recognizable characters or crossover potential to younger viewers / = / money

Disney likes money.

15. San-Tarah

San-Tarah Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2012
    It has the brand name Skywalker and if its done well it will sell.

16. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Yes, they misrepresent what they want you to buy. My point exactly. And they have a known history of doing that.
    And George Lucas has a known history of changing his mind. I know it, and you know it.

If Greedo can suddenly shoot first, and the Anakin Force Ghost can suddenly turn young, you can bet Darth Caedus and Darth Lumiya run a high risk of becoming obsolete somewhere along the line. And it wouldn't even be the first time, for the latter.

17. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    I wish I could live in the world where you live. That must be nice.

18. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    You assume that the only value of those properties is their canon status.

19. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    Nope, I didn't even mention canon I'm talking about the whole periods existence full stop, no longer continuing/being made. Not just whether its canon or not.

20. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Misrepresentation is a legal tort (that means it is actionable, particularly where it has been used as in inducement to part with cash).

Those are insignificant changes, and (as I only own DVD copies of the original OT) make not a bit of difference to me.

21. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    No longer making the games was your assumption. But the whole premise of "wiping out that era" is about canon. I've played tons of tie-in games, and watched tons of tie-in movies that aren't "canon." I don't think Arkham City fans are butthurt because their games and comics aren't part of the main Batman continuity.

Nothing says you can't keep making those TOR games. They definitely seem to enjoy selling those Darth Malgus Legos.

22. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Ok, now you're really veering into "you have no idea what you're talking about" territory. :p

23. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Well, Tim, go sue LFL, that should be entertaining.
    Maybe you can rally for crowdfunding?

The changes you call insignificant might end up being your weak spot, though: you personally may not care, but they do lay bare the Flanneled OneĀ“s tendency to overwrite previously established material.

LawJedi likes this.
  24. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Actually, I do have a law book or two to get my information from.

25. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    You got a WestLawNext or LexisAdvance account? You ever sit in an Advanced Torts class?

I encourage your legal action. Hey, if you win, I can sue DC comics for taking away Superman's red trunks.

SuperWatto likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.