main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Deleted Scenes Are Canon?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by JoeyArnold, Nov 20, 2012.

?

Deleted Scenes are canon?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Maybe

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. not sure yet

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    There are alternative endings for Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. So, does these deleted scenes become canon? In a deleted scene from the Revenge of the Sith, they show Grevious killing a jedi in front of Anakin & Kenobi. So, is it canon that this female jedi did die right then, even if it is not in the film? What is canon and what is not canon?

If deleted scenes (that were deleted before the film was released to theatres) are not canon, what about scenes that are deleted and changed thirty years after the film was made? When George Lucas replaced the human actor with the animated slug of Jabba the Hutt in A New Hope, is Jabba looking like a human canon because this scene was kind of deleted and edited and modified years after the film was released. There are so many questions. It opens up a can of worms.

I believe that the canon can be modified at will.

2. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    All the PT deleted scenes are canon except for the one where Shaak Ti gets killed.

I'm not even going to answer the Jabba question. Watch TPM, ANH and ROTJ.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  3. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    i did

4. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    he was a mere stand in. they would have replaced him with Jabba anyway.

5. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012

my question is more a hypothetical question because I know Jabba is a big slug. But I am asking hypothetically if we were to be against changing little things in the films, then we might have to be against this minor edit in A New Hope. Because this hypothetical question is about where do you draw the lines. It is about which things are ok to edit and which ones are not.

Is a younger force-ghost Anakin at the end of Return of the Jedi canon?

6. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    Yes.

7. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    That's the official story, but most evidence suggests that at the time the scene was shot, the intention was for Jabba to be human. The original shooting script doesn't even refer to him as an alien (later published versions of the screenplay change a few things).
    It does sound as if the decision to make him an alien was made not long after the scene was dropped from the cut (quite possibly because they weren't happy with the performance) - he's an alien in the Marvel comic adaptation and the novelisation.
    A number of storyboards done around the time ROTJ was being developed show alien concepts to be somehow added to the Docking Bay 94 scene (they're often presented as having been done in 1976), so it's quite likely that there were plans to do a Special Edition of ANH for a release around 1983/84.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and oierem like this.
  8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, deleted scenes are not canon.

9. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    Considering Shaak Ti dies twice in two separate deleted scenes and is then seen running around on Kashyyyk... I'd say no, they are not canon.

10. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    The official stance by LucasFilm was quoted to us by Leland Chee back in 2006.

Are deleted scenes considered G-level? Yes, unless they conflict with something else seen in the films or if the reasoning behind deleting the scene keeps it from being continuity. [ADDENDUM: this applies only to deleted scenes publicly released]

So you see, publicly released deleted scenes are considered canon, with the caveat that they not interfere with any storyline established in the films. As LucasFilm have yet to change their stance on this, the blu ray deleted scene of Luke Skywalker working on his lightsaber in the cave on Tatooine, for example, 'really' happened. As did the birth of the rebellion scenes in ROTS.

The Shaak Ti situation differs in that while the ROTS deleted scenes featuring her do not conflict with the films, she was later retconned (with Lucas' direct involvement) to have met her fate on Felucia at the hands of Galen Marek during the Great Jedi Purge (thus invalidating any canonicity these particular deleted scenes could have claimed).

Now, whether this agrees with anybody's individual, personal canon is entirely up to them, of course. I'm only espousing the official, Lucas-approved stance for those who may want to know.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Oooh, oooh, so when did Padme have her chat with Count Dooku? Right before they were thrown out into the arena? Cuz I think there's some materiel in that scene that got put into the Dooku / Obi-Wan scene (which I think was a reshoot). I like that Dooku / Obi-Wan scene much better, BTW)

12. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    [​IMG]

this guy's accent is canon? :S

:p

PERSUADE THE CHEEANCLAA"

DarthRelaxus and TreborSabreon like this.
  13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    My mistake.

14. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    Are the things said in the commentaries canon too? I am going to try to watch the commentaries for all six films to see if I can catch George Lucas or anybody saying interesting things.

15. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    tthe commentries on star wars are booooooooooring imo

you get more stuff about how Ben Burtt heard a strange noise on the way to work, got out and found a koala bear stuck in a cement mixer and how he rushed home to get a tape recorder to tape it or Knoll saying he designed a ship (a 2 second shot in the background) on the style of his BMW than actual story points.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
  17. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    Who is that guy?

18. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Fang_Zar

One of the Senators who appeared in the "Formation of the Rebellion" deleted scenes in ROTS. Mainly notable for his incredibly broad Australian accent, which you would hope to hell was going to be dubbed if the scenes were left in.
    The Kiwi accents of the Fetts are bad enough, but yeesh, this accent really drags you out of the galaxy far, far away and straight back to Australia.

19. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    as an aussie, all i can say is.........NEVER HEARD OF HIM BEFORE......or since.

20. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    In the commentary of Ep.1, they say that the king of the Jar Jar Binks race knew that Padme was the queen but was just pretending not to know. The decoy queen was talking to the king in the jungle, and then the real queen pops up and the king acts as if he does not know who this maid servant is. But it was the queen and the commentary also say that Kenobi and Jin already knew who the real queen was, as well. So, I am taking the comments from the commentary to be canon that they did know.

21. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Yeah. :)

He plays a larger role in Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader where he is hunted down as a traitor and ultimately meets his fate on Alderaan coutesy of a saber-throw from Vader.

22. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    I meant the actor, sorry.

23. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Oh, silly me. [face_blush]
    Based on his acting in the ROTS deleted scenes, I'm not sure I'd hire him, so I guess I'm not surprised.

24. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    not your fault. i didn't clarify.

25. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007