main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Jedi in the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by LawJedi, Nov 1, 2012.

1. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    I think the Jedi are going to be a different place then most of us assume when the ST comes out. I dunno what that place will be, but I'm guessing it will be different.

I remember leading up to TPM, EVERYONE thought Yoda would be on Degobah. And finding him would/had always been part of a Jedi's training. There were spoilers that had the Quin-Gon anakin stuff happening (pretty close to what did happen int he movie) while in another storyline Obi-wan was on Degobah training with Yoda. There had never been a Jedi temple on Coruscant mentioned in the EU and no one assumed there would be one. No one was talking about a council.

I think the same thing will happen in Episode VII. There is an expectation that Luke will form a new Council and he'll be training a whole new generation of Jedi etc... I just think we'll be surprised again. THere will only be 2 Jedi. Or maybe luke hasn't trained anyone yet. Maybe he went into hiding or exile. Maybe the are Jedi but Luke has lead them to much more Monk like. I dunno. Just quite often with the PT there were things we all thought/assumed were going to happen (Mace killed by Boba, Yoda on Degobah, Army of Boba Fett's/Mandlorians, Anakin would beback on Tatoonie to free the slaves etc...) and Lucas has a way of going in another direction with things

2. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Lucas will make up the kids he wants them to have.

DarthMateous likes this.
  3. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002
    And that's just how I want it.

4. DarthMateous

Aug 1, 2002
    I don't mind Cameos, but I want them to create NEW characters for the NEW trilogy. Otherwise, what's the point? If there are Skywalker kids, I want to them to start with a clean slate and have different names, and character traits than the EU kids. Start fresh. Don't recycle.

The_Hellhammer likes this.
  5. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012

Han Solo is no father.

6. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Well then new EU books would be written about the new kids, and no EU fans would read them cause it would not be the children they are accustomed to... Unless you plan on reading it.
    You can blank out the new protagonists if you make them likeable characters. You don't need to know every mission they ran on. The point is to "Pass the torch"

7. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Han at 30 is no father. Han at 40 might be. Han at 50 probably is. Unless he is the creepy old man that hits on 20 year old princesses...

8. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I don't buy it. Bad idea. I see Leia having wee ones with someone else. The old love-each-other-but-can't-be-together-b/c-they-want-different-things-in-life sorta deal. I can hear them barking at each other already....

9. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Agree to disagree? back to the topic at hand...

10. DarthMateous

Aug 1, 2002
    Who cares about EU fans. If Lucas cared about EU fans, then you'd already have several significant characters included in the prequels. FILMMAKERS don't worry about what's been written in a novel. Otherwise it would say "Adapted from...". And as we all read...Kathleen Kennedy said Ep. VII will be an "original story".

11. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Can a single discussion go without Movies vs. EU crossfire?

To each his own, saying "who cares about EU fans" is a bit unnecessarily harsh - some people enjoy more SW material than just the movies and there is nothing wrong with that. No one is forcing you to read it.

Insisting on EU being the guiding force that ST must adhere to is simply naive. They will make a story that is good, and just retcon any inconsistencies later. Or they won't. There are worse things that can happen.

As I've said a dozen times - they can quite easily make good movies without strictly adhering to EU, but they don't have to go out of their way to purposely wreck it.
    In the end it really doesn't matter - because they'll write a story that they think is good. Even if it hits IMDB first spot of 250 Best Movies of All time there will still be people who are not satisfied because, oh I dunno, the chairs in the Senate are inconsistent with the EU representation, while others will scream how Lucas can make the chairs look any bloody way he wants them to.

12. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    You can't say that. The majority of EU fans could read them.

You want the torch passed, so whats wrong with moving from Jaina and Ben to child X and Y?

13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    One topic I haven't seen much discussion about in the Episode VII forum (at least on the first few pages) is just what the Jedi of the ST era will be like. The post-OT EU novels have given us one view of what a rebuilt Jedi Order could look like, one that doesn't entirely match what we see of the Old Jedi Order in the PT. Will the ST version match one of these, and if so, which one? Or could it take a different approach entirely, and what might that be like?

In fact, will there actually even be a new Jedi Order, at least at the start of the sequel trilogy? It's certainly a likely possibility, but it's not a guaranteed one, especially since not all of the possible interpretations of "Return of the Jedi" relate to one.

I think it's worth some speculation.

14. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    What if the Jedi are outlawed by the new Republic? I don't think Luke ever announced he was a Jedi to the Rebels (outside of Han, Leia, Lando and the droids) - so it could be an interesting dramatic element to the story.

Perhaps the New Republic views them as traitors during the events of the Clone Wars still and the reason that the Empire was eventually born. Remember Tarkin saying to Vader that he's all that's left of them now - there seems to be a general confusion among the people of the differences between a Sith and a Jedi.

aguywithabiggun likes this.
  15. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Force Ghost star 4

Feb 18, 2004
  16. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    The ROTS novelization said it best. Something along the lines of mentioning that when Sidious started throwing the Senate pods at Yoda, he came to the realization that in the 900 years of his life, the Sith order had changed and evolved, but he had been teaching the Jedi how to war against the old Sith order, which led to the Jedi's downfall.

I expect that Yoda would have taught this to Luke, and the new Jedi order will have also changed to match the Sith. Not as many ridiculous limitations, but still enough to maintain peace and order.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm hoping for, like, Luke Skywalker and, like, maybe a dozen Jedi, max. It would make it more of a "people on a mission" vibe to it so each one can have their own distinctive personality. It'd be way boring if the ST started and Luke was a grand master of hundreds of Jedi and a fully functioning Jedi Order with padawns and masters for each and every student. I'd like the idea of Luke trying to manage a whole bunch on his own. A bit less structured and a bit more rag-tag and fly-by-night seat of your pants type thing. It worked for the old Jedi order but Luke would be starting with way, way, way less.

Pro Scoundrel and DowClimber like this.
  18. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I think it would be cool if they were allowed have girlfriends/boyfriends/spouses. I think one if the things that made it easier for Anakin to turn against the Jedi was their forbidding of normal human relationships and the burden of having to live a double life. "Don't you see? We don't have to run away anymore!"

19. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Force Ghost star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    Hopefully there is no Chick Fil'A on Yavin 4.

20. Cad Carnage

Cad Carnage Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    This, and I hope they all get some lines and character development.

Air Jedi and DowClimber like this.
  21. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    Like Monks, with a bit of Samurai. Wandering the galaxy with an aim to help and comfort any who need it. Honorable, free from political corruption and bureaucracy. The Jedi will be free to roam the galaxy, with a Temple no longer on Coruscant, but Yavin IV.

22. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I think the what the Jedi will be like in the ST is one of the more interesting questions aside from plot and cast. Us original generation fans went from seeing very little use of The Force in the OT, limited to pulling a sabre from the snow from two feet away, a few floating rocks and droids, and a couple of mind triocks, to the high flying, boulder tossing, ship stopping Force of the PT and Clone Wars.

Interesting to see what they will be like in the ST.

23. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    First, get rid of the Robin Hood look and the braids. I'd prefer the darker tunics worn by Luke in ROTJ.
    Second, dump the notion that a Jedi has to be a celibate monk. Let them do their thing.
    Third, get rid of all the rigidity of the old Order (one master, one apprentice) and all of the red tape and bureaucracy that seemed to bog the organization down

Have a small band of Jedi Knights that are more spiritual and in tune with the living Force. Instead of a rigid hierarchy, it should be more like a small team of committed individuals.

Pro Scoundrel and DowClimber like this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The thing is, I think it would make Luke seem like kind of a layabout wimp if the ST kicks off and it's just, like, Luke Skywalker and no Jedi whatsoever and he has to start at square zero. There should be a few Jedi kicking around at that point just because then it would be like "what the heck was Skywalker doing for 40 years?!" y'know? Unless he was frozen in carbonite. I can buy that.

So keep it small but not entirely nothing, y'know?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I can't wait to see this new Jedi Order that spend all their time farming, making their own clothes and washing them in whatever nearby bodies of water there are in their hobo shacks...you know since they're essentially going to be non-profit without even a non-profit status due to zero association with any political affiliation and therefore have no access to any funding nor subsidies for acquiring education/holocrons/whatever, shelter, food, cleaning supplies, and clerical supplies.

And I can't wait to see these non-trained in piloting nor anything technological and non-educated in cultures, art of war, and diplomacy/foreign policies, science and anything else the rest of the world has access to but they can't be bothered by because they want to just help people using their handmade, education-lacking, abilities aside from whatever Obi-Wan and Yoda managed to hide away in their 100sq feet domiciles. I can't wait for that first scene where a Jedi gets into a cockpit of even a speeder, looks around and says "Haha, I don't know what I'm looking at! Hey droid...can you...oh yeah I don't have access to any droids since no one paid for them. Oh poodoo...Hmm."

Maybe they can take donations from clam bakes and selling their "wares" on the streets to fund their traveling the galaxy helping people...that or they can be like those samurai they're inspired from in concept and sell their services to the highest bidders in order to not just eat a meal without having to wait for nature and time but also to pay for transportation...like mercenaries. Those will be exciting scenes. I love whenever I see or read about all those monks and samurai roaming the world in my daily travels because that's completely realistic. Or they could just Jedi Mind Trick everyone into doing what they want, getting to where they want, acquiring what they want...you know, the very essence of what being a Jedi is all about...no way that could go ever go wrong.

Heyo galaxy! Join the Jedi, it's great! We let you go on dates and get married now and stuff. Not sure how you're going to be able to devote all your mind and body to us nor look after your family reasonably, but eh, I'm sure you'll figure something out. You can go out and get a side-job too if you need. That's wizard. When that next emergency comes up and we need your help and you've already used up your 3-weeks paid vacation/sick days...uhh we'll figure that out when the time comes. Come and join us, won't you!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.