main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Lawrence Kasdan may write Episode 8

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Serpico Jones, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I think the best it's been done is Raiders of the Lost Ark.

2. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    I always liked Space Balls, because after Dark Helmet made sure everyone got it.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    If memory serves, JFK had a minute or two of exposition.......

LawJedi likes this.
  4. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    One of the more humorous exposition scenes that jumps to mind is in First Blood:

Ever since that scene there have been a lot of action films where either a military leader, or intelligence agent, or scientist is describing exactly what it is that makes the antagonist so special to the protagonist. First Blood's interesting because the roles are sort of reversed. Rambo's an anti-hero. To be fair, it was almost certainly done many times before First Blood but First Blood's infamous scene is certainly one of the more classic examples of this kind of thing.

5. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Jetfire in Transformers 2 is a perfect example (big black jet with English accent). That's the only purpose he serves.

Darthsuggs likes this.
  6. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I also think DKR had way to much exposition. Especially in the whole Talia, Bane, big hole in the ground, department. It really brought the movie down IMO.

Talia should have been revealed during the first fight with BANE, and that way most of the exposition backstory could have been taken out right there. Thus the story could have moved forward quicker, and perhaps we could have recieved some good scenes between Talia and Bane exploring their relationship

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I actually like that exposition bomb because it's actively trying to be difficult with the entire crazy-long monologue and the TV screen thing is a great touch. I can totally see how people think it fails but I kinda dig how it's not just an exposition bomb, it's a exposition nuke.

LawJedi likes this.
  8. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I abso-frigging-love that scene.

LawJedi likes this.
  9. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    The LOTR intro is great...for LOTR.

It's actually a prologue, and prologues aren't Star Wars' thing.

Remember the beginning of ANH.? Title crawl then BOOM! Space chase battle. Exciting, pulls us right in. Star Wars starts as many writers are advised to start their story: in media res (in the middle of things) No explain-y prologue, just jump right into the fire.

10. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    The question was about exposition. LotR did a prologue, Star Wars did a crawl.

11. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Here's the link to a great article explaining why hiring Kasdan and Kinberg now is great for the ST and especially us fans AND it backs up what I have said throughout this thread:

http://www.slashfilm.com/three-writ...does-that-say-about-the-new-star-wars-movies/

Also, I still won't rule out the LOTR philosophy here. Shoot all three films simultaneously for releases in 2015, 2016 & 2017. I'm not saying it's guaranteed but possible. Hell, Disney could have one team shoot Episode 7 then have another team shoot Episodes 8 & 9 silmultaneously while 7 is finishing up. Having 3 scripts gives them great advantage and flexibility. Besides, Disney:

1- Is committed to filming 3 SW movies
    2- Would like to realize the return on their investment ASAP
    3- would make the fans so ecstatic by releasing movies in successive summers

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  12. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    It's also about the architect trying to strongarm Neo. He's trying to overwhelm him and manipulate him into making the choice he wants. The other thing people always forget about that character is that he's not human. He talks like a computer program because he doesn't interact with people that frequently.

13. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I fell asleep watching the Matrix sequel.

14. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
  15. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Glad the rumor turned fact!

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
  17. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    WOOOOOOHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOO!

18. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Still sounds like a rumor to me.

19. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
  20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, further reading says it's still not confirmed. Which means I get to redirect this to the old thread. Wheeeee.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Interesting that this is still unconfirmed when just about everyone has reported it, and no one has denied it.

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That generally means one of three things: either it's false but they don't want to deny it until it's a "hard" false (IE another writer has been hired), it's potentially true but they're working on contracts, or it's true and there's a moratorium on confirming that kind of stuff.

tl;dr - It's a crapshoot.

23. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i could imagine episode VIII ending on a cliffhanger I.E. The Empire Strikes Back and it had like Luke skywalker passing away and the end shot being of the main protagonists burning his body and wondering what lies ahead for the jedi order.

24. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Or maybe it's a little of - it was a holiday week, and everyone who could confirm was at home eating turkey.

25. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Next video will be up at SW.com on either 3rd or 4th Dec (can't remember which) so I'm sure we'll know by then.