main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Does every sentient in the Haloverse suffers brain damage ?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by BaronNoir, Nov 22, 2012.

1. BaronNoir

BaronNoir Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2001
    I bought Halo 4 for single player, finished it, and found it was overall money well spent. Still....You can't help but wonder if they give command posts in cereal boxes in this setting. Let's see, level by level, some brilliant tactical decisions

First Level :
    -Cortana have been watching the channels for 4 years, and apparently missed ''dritfing at subspace speed toward a giant metal planet'' and ''a whole Covenant armada''. How exactly she was monitoring the situation ?
    -Feliciations to the Covenant commander that have sent several dropships over a dead Human ship, see the troop complement of the dropships being mowed down, and still not consider raising shields

Third Level :
    -Cortana and Chief, have you considered not pushing random buttons on devices you don't understand the purpose ? Especially considering the Flood incidents
    -The Infinity. I dunno guys, but have you considered that ''sending the super flagship of the UNSC'' through a mysterious hole in a metal planet might not be a very sound plan ? Why not send a probe or a dropshup ?

Fourth Level;
    -I think that it would have been a good idea to use the superpowerful combat mech as the ennemy was invading the ship and not wait for a guy presumed dead for 4 years to come to pilot it

Fifth Level :
    -No wonder the UNSC was trashed into space, considering that their ships apparently require people to manually provide targets for their big guns with hand-operated targeting devices. You would think that it's pretty inconvenient for space warfare.

Sixth Level:
    Granted, Cortana was suffering from brain damage, but how exactly the MC is supposed to attack Didact ''by surprise'' when the plan involve him lowering the shields in two towers ?

Seventh Level :
    No one thought of using those super fighters when the station was invaded ?

2. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Well its a regular occuring theme in long lasting series, in the EU the Republic/Galactic Federation often comes out looking ike a banan republic on a galactic scale, Starfleet ever admiral is a nut or incompetant, and dont even get me started on the government and militaries in the Universal Century Gundam series. To have plausable serial conflicts in one characters life time, Organizations have to come off as if bering run by idiot children.

3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    at least they've avoided placing any nefarious musselmen in positions of consequence

4. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    ...games...forum....?

jp-30 likes this.
  5. BaronNoir

BaronNoir Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2001
    This is an extremely cheap personnal attack. I don't stalk your topics to insult you.

6. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i dunno about "attacks" and im sorry i legitimately dont remember if you normally post in the jcc or not, but let me assure you this is pretty common practice. see also bobafrank, j-rod, lassic, danthejedi, arlon, vaderslament, valyn... you're really in very distinguished company here.

furthermore if you feel so ashamed of your convictions as to be "insulted" by having them stated out of a particular context, maybe you ought to reevaluate those beliefs?

as for "stalking", have you noticed a ton of traffic around here that i would have to go out of my way to click on one of your topics?

Life likes this.
  7. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    I thought rogue was refrencing "Idiocracy"

8. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002

???

9. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    im dropping it because this is no longer a jcc thread and no longer subject to our cultural peccadilloes O:)

10. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    There already is a Halo 4 thread. Maybe you should've looked it up and posted there.

Regardless, good points all. I guess I was so into the gameplay I didn't stop to think about all these flaws. For example, I was replaying the fifth mission and Infinity is hovering right above the gravity well it wanted to destroy. Nearly at point blank range. The ship's computers could've done a targetting solution in less than a second. But still you needed the Master Chief to paint the goddam target in order for the flagship of the UNSC could blow the thing up?

And what about the last mission? How in the hell did Cortana get the Chief out of that ship in the nanosecond between his triggering that bomb and sending him to...wherever exactly they were when they had their final conversation?

11. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    How many game scripts are written by professional writers anyway? And for that matter, was this? Thirdly, if Hollywood movies are full of logical flaws and plot holes, then most surely games, the bastard child of the narrative entertainment trio (prose,performed drama, games) will be rife with them.

Fourth, even disregarding the first three, there's still the issue that the game experience and fun is always prioritized before the story anyway, so if there's a good entertainment opportunity to be had, logic is going to be put aside to accommodate it. And I'm mostly fine with that. Especially if I'm playing a pulp sci-fi shooter about alien invasions. Who in this world was ever stupid enough to think that the story was the priority there?