main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Revolution in the Muslim World

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Lowbacca_1977, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    My point was more along the lines that the Economist raised those same points about Iraq back then. The Economist itself didn't focus so much on the Iraqi Shi'ites, but the editors of the magazine pointed out that what was happening to the Kurds at the time under Saddam most certainly amounted to genocide, to which they used the same argument that the world was ignoring the Kurds and/or only using them when it was politically expedient. Their point about Iraq back then was just as strong as their point relating to Syria now.

Again, what the Economist is fond of doing is outlining a strong rationale for a certain course of action, and then, if that course is taken for whatever reason, they'll do a follow-up article which basically says" What! You listened to us? Here's why our original article was full of crap..." It's like the Economist's signature move.

2. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    They did. 1991 after the Gulf War. Tens of thousands killed. We ignored that one well.

3. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Yes, but the moment had passed a decade later. To go in in 2003 on those grounds would go over well and not seem suspicious at all to the Iraqi people. :p

4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Bleh, you know what...if we're going back to 1991 then I'm just going to have to use the excuse that I was still in elementary school and did not know a damn thing about world politics, sectarian strife or genocide.

5. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Oh, I agree that that's when it made sense, not 2003. I think we did a disservice to them in 1991, though.

DarthBoba likes this.
  6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  7. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The Syrian opposition has finally unified, into the "Syrian National Coalition" (SNC):
    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/11/20121111141834268537.html

Israel has fired a warning shot into Syria, after some mortar hit an Israeli army post in the Golan Heights:
    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/11/20121111121454453745.html

They have been trying it, and Assad keeps saying he'll die in Syria.

9. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I think Assad will most definitely die in Syria.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  11. San-Tarah

San-Tarah Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2012
    I am pretty sure that happens in every magazine in which a lot of people with diverse views get published.

12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, it looks like this might be drawing to an end game very soon:

Rebellion Rolls

The linked map in particular is great.

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Very good news!! Let's hope it ends soon

DarthBoba likes this.
  14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Morsi has basically declared himself a "temporary" dictator. Well, that little experiment was fun while it lasted.

15. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    That article is really uplifting. But then they bring you back down with an article about the coalition's Commander-in-chief...

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why are you citing Foreign Policy? That is one of most roundly awful international affairs publications imaginable. They have the vapidness of the "George Bush's workout program expose" era of Time Magazine, and the juvenile love of lists from Cracked Magazine. Not really worth opening up.

17. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Wasn´t me

18. Hero of Tukayyid

Hero of Tukayyid Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2012
    They do write interesting stuff from time to time, but you have to skip all the War on Terror nonsense.

19. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Their comments section is juvenile as hell, but I like the articles. Feel free to bring up another source, though.

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't really have much of a problem with it. I just wanted to take a shot at the constant stream of "Sixteen Sexiest Senators" style articles that fill their online version. I am not terribly taken with their photo essays, either. Or the whole concept of calling something a "photo essay" to begin with.

21. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, the photo essays are stupid. I don't read those. :p

22. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    no one reads them. they're photo essays. you view them

23. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Har har. Yeah, I don't do that either. :p

24. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Good job discrediting the source, Jw [face_thinking]

25. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm certainly no fan of Morsi, but I'm sympathetic to him in this case considering the dynamics of the situation on the ground. This is the fundamental problem for any immediate post-Revolutionary government: preserving the populist sentiments and character that elected the new government whilst also preventing a descent into anarchy. See: the conflict between the Federalists and Republicans in nascent post-Revolutionary America. There are many reasons to be skeptical, but let's not declare the experiment "dead" just yet.