main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series For Discussion of Old TCW episodes...

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by CT-867-5309, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    My problem with Ahsoka is she is so mature in last three episodes she has the personality of a stuffed bear.

2. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I remember there being a lot of complaints about her being a smart ass in season 1-2. Personally I preferred that over what we have now. Given what's already happened and what's rumored to happen this season, her now quiet/laid back personality makes sense to me. It didn't last season however IMO.

I guess I ought to move to the Ahsoka thread before I derail this one further. :p

GGrievous and Seerow like this.
  3. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Damn us, never satisfied are we? Either to much or to little. And good idea.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I've already mentioned "Bombad Jedi" in the worst episodes thread, so I'm not gonna repeat myself here. Instead, I'd rather discuss an episode I loved, "Cloak of Darkness".

In the opening scenes, I noticed that Luminara's robes were subtly different from every other source. They were tighter over the torso, notably the chest. Soon after we are treated to a full on Ventress butt shot, who generously forgot to wear her sash this episode. Something, something, TCW sexualization. I'm not complaining.

The boarding action was just really cool, with boarding pods smashing through hulls, dropping suitably menacing battle droids, who take up their classic march and overrun the clones with numbers. Just more perfect utilization of battle droids in season one.

Luminara had some nice choreography, I can tell they gave her her own style instead of just recycling sequences used by other Jedi. It really fits with EU descriptions of her style. Well done.

I never really noticed just how dark Ahsoka was in these early episodes. She put her lightsaber to Gunray's throat and she's constantly taunting her enemies and not like Kenobi does. Kenobi is much more...civilized. We all dismiss it as "snippy", but I think it appeared to be a little more than that.

Ahsoka got clowned by Ventress and locked in Gunray's cell. At this point they're still making an effort to prevent Ahsoka from appearing overpowered. Also, lol.

Ventress using explosives as a distraction is just classic Ventress, brilliant use.

I could go on and on about how I hated Luminara's arrogant turn, but I've done it before. Instead, I'll tell you what I was reminded of by the scene and what I maybe would have liked more.

After Ventress jumps down into the elevator shaft and Luminara holds Ahsoka back, I had a flashback to the end of the AOTC speeder chase when Kenobi holds up Anakin and tells him "Patience. Use the Force. Think." "He went in there to hide, not to run." I think it would have been nice if Luminara had passed on similar knowledge to Ahsoka, instead of Ahsoka instructing Luminara. After Luminara saves Ahsoka from being crushed by a turbolift, it could go something like this:

Ahsoka: But she'll escape!
    Luminara: Escape is not her plan. I must face her alone. Guard Gunray, he is her true target.

lol blatant rip from ANH in bold.

The duel between Ventress and Luminara was fantastic. The way Luminara was taunting Ventress, about her sloppy imitation of Dooku's style, actually kinda came off as sorta like Dun Moch. Just excellent choreography here and a very convincing contest.

When Luminara finds that little struggling WED Treadwell droid, she cracks the slightest smile and helps it out. Shows some humanity under that stoic exterior.

Ventress laughing while blocking two blades was just awesome. By this point, I was just loving it and laughing along with her.

Okay, a GRENADE literally explodes directly underneath Ahsoka and she not only survives but escapes relatively unscathed. LOL, c'mon. Sigh, what might have been.

The music that plays as Ventress leaves the ship was awesome, and I rarely notice music.

Argyus getting shanked in the back was, again, awesome. There's just something I love about villains literally stabbing fools in the back.

Unfortunately, the episode couldn't end without Luminara slobbering all over Ahsoka. This was probably the beginning of the Ahsoka love show, it happens a few more times in S1 and IIRC really takes off in S2.

When I first reviewed this episode, I took away a point for dragging Luminara's character through the mud and the Ahsoka slobber, but this time it was just too much fun. What a fantastic Ventress episode.

10/10

Edit: I didn't even really mention Gunray, who was very amusing and very well written. Still, his VA is poor, I could do better. HIRE ME!

Dark-Fox and Seerow like this.
  5. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I thought that was the definition of "Star Wars fan.." :p

6. Dark-Fox

Dark-Fox Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    I still disagree with your Ahsoka opinions, I thought the balance between admonishment and priase was well handled because Ahsoka was by turns wrong and right. I do agree with just about every other point you make though. Has Paul Dini written any other episodes? It's like everything he touches turns to gold isn't it; I loved the old Batman Animated Series and thought Arkham Asylum was awesome. We need more Dini!

cwustudent likes this.
  7. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    DINI is genius! We DO need more of him and not the guy who wrote Umbara.

Dark-Fox likes this.
  8. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Now she's the most super powerful thing in the GFFA. Makes Anakin and Obi-Wan look bad, ect, ect

We get it Filoni.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    What kind of viscious rumors are being promoted here? As I recall Steela died and Ahsoka was unable to save her. Ahsoka just got her butt kicked by Hondo. Why are certain individuals picking and choosing what they want to see and what they want to put the blinders on their eyes for?

Dark-Fox likes this.
  10. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    The "rumors" that are obviously true and are being ignored by "Ahsoka fans." ;)

11. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Ahsoka did get shot by the canon of a down CIS gunship in the Onderon Arc and barely got a scratch from it. Yeah we can fanon it all we want with saying it was damaged or whatever. Still all Ahsoka got from it was a scratch?

12. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Was that the "How to bowl grenades 101" arc? Complete with Ahsoka competing against an adult for a little boy.

13. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Again with the rumors!!?!! I've already posted a pic showing a gaping hole in the back of Ahsoka's shoulder after that laser blast. It was not just a "scratch".
    And Ahsoka was not fighting with an adult over a little boy. Lux is close to Ahsoka's age: 16 or 17. I'd put Steela at maybe 19 to early 20's. About the same age difference as Anakin-Padme.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    However, Anakin and Padme were not violating statutory rape laws in any system.

And the love triangle is a pointless and contrived plot device, especially that love triangle.

GGrievous likes this.
  15. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    The love triangle didn't amount to much anyways. Ahsoka got over the whole thing. Lux is on a bus now. We should get back on the topic of old episodes and move this debate to one of Ahsoka threads.

16. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Anakin and Padme are adults.

A 19-20 year old (according to you) fighting over a 14-16 year kid is still disgusting and odd. Kissing him is even more depressing than ever.

Seerow I don't mind if it's taken to one of those Ahsoka threads, but then I'll just avoid it.:p Plus it is kind of an old episode imo.

Esg and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I guess you could say Onderon is kinda old now.

18. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I only saw one episode and it was how to bowl grenades. I gave up after that. :p

19. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Onderon actually tested me, so... you can probably do the math on that.

20. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    It gets better with each episode.

21. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I haven't seen the reviews yet, but I remember you telling me something about that.

I'm good. :p

22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Lair of Grievous

I'll start by saying I thought they did a nice job transitioning from Bombad Jedi to Cloak of Darkness and into Lair of Grievous. It was very smooth, without an overly long recap.

Lots of action in this episode, including a cool somersault from Vebb that we see from a droid's 1st person view. A neat little camera angle they don't often use.

Clearly, TCW was portraying Grievous as a Jedi killer in this episode. He has the Padawan braids (I think that's what they were) and the lightsaber trophies. The direction they took with Grievous in later episodes is even more damnable considering this episode.

For some reason the good guys were trying to capture Grievous instead of just killing him. I hate when writers fall into this trap.

Grievous' doctor was an amusing character, and I think it's quite telling that Grievous would choose a droid to take care of him.

Grievous supposedly traps the Jedi in his lair by simply closing the front door on them. Why not just cut it down? Again, writing traps.

R6 throwing the Magnaguard off his starfighter by spinning was kinda funny. Clever little droid.

What makes this episode so entertaining is just how simple it is. "Lair of Grievous" couldn't be more accurate, it's just about his classic villain lair with all the expected trappings.

Grievous has lava traps? AWESOME. And he has a monstrous beast that looks like a Minotaur? AWESOME. And trap doors? And doors with puzzles on them? What a villain.

It's just hilarious, really. If you're going to be a villain, you have to make your dwelling a death trap just in case those pesky heroes show up.

Gor got hacked up in surprisingly brutal fashion. I was pretty stunned when I saw him standing there with no arms.

To back up Grievous' reputation as a Jedi killer, he kills Nahdar Vebb, a Jedi Knight who, though flawed, wasn't without skill.

They used Vebb to demonstrate how the war can change Jedi. It can be very easy for them to see the value of aggression, they can see it work so well in war, it's a really easy lesson to learn. It just shows how quickly your mindset can change, how easy it is to let the dark side in.

The duel between Grievous and Fisto was solid, with Fisto performing as he should. Fisto disappearing into the mist and dual-wielding were nice moments, and the Force was the great equalizer in their battle, as it should be. Just really solid writing there. Fisto ultimately chooses to retreat instead of pushing the fight out of revenge, easily demonstrating the difference between master and apprentice.

Just an amusing episode with lots of action. The only real flaw was retconning Grievous' EU origins, which I loved and considered subtracting a point for, but I'm not going to.

10/10

23. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    The only thing I have against the Grievous episodes he flees 99.8% of the time. If only the cast could just kill off characters, Kit Fisto, Adi Gallia, and Kenobi would probably all be dead.

24. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    I appreciate season 1 more now, most of the episodes are about the war, 2 CIS council leaders had a big role and there were more CIS villains.

25. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    LAIR OF GRIEVOUS = PURE WIN!

Especially for Tambor, Gunray and Poggle!