main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Tatooine. Less is more?.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by jawajunk, Nov 18, 2012.

1. jawajunk

jawajunk Jedi Youngling

Sep 25, 2012
    For a Planet that was dubbed by Luke as being the farthest from a bright center of the universe, it was sure shown to be a central part of the saga. I personally wish it's apperance had been kept in the OT and had Anakin on some other planet in the PT. What are your thoughts on this?.

2. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    What's done is done, Tatooine brought a lot to the 6film saga. We got a lot of interesting characters.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That was unavoidable, ever since the first movie. Luke lived on Tatooine with his uncles which are related to his father. Therefore it's easy to assume that Anakin (and the Skywalker family) was from Tatooine aswell. The planet itself isn't and never was anything special, but it doesn't mean that events that ended up affecting the whole galaxy couldn't have started there.

Even without the Prequel Trilogy, that's what happened. Luke, a mere farm boy from an insignificant planet, destroyed the Empire. Anakin, a mere slave from an insignificant planet, helped to create the Empire.

I guess Lucas did this on purpose to pass the message that the actions of even the most insignificant person can make a difference.

TreborSabreon and Attariel like this.
  4. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    it's those sunsets.

5. MandalorianWrath

MandalorianWrath Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2005
    As much as I loved Tattooine in the OT, there isn't a single Tattooine scene in the PT (apart from the ending of ROTS) that I like. I usually fast-forward through them all. That has nothing to do with how long the characters spend there or how long Tattooine should have been shown in the overall saga, it's just that everything that happens on this planet in the PT felt as dry and boring as living there seems to be. And don't even start me on Anakin's antics in TPM.

6. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I love Tatooine scenes in TPM. They're the heart of the movie. Podracing is exciting and even Jake Lloyd is tolerable (he's more annoying during the accidental space flying gig).

Alexrd likes this.
  7. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Tatooine plays a central role in the Star Wars saga, much like Arrakis from "Dune" plays a central role. In fact, Tatooine is said to be a knock-off of Arrakis. Arrakis has two moons, Tatooine has two suns. Arrakis and Tatooine are both desert planets. Arrakis has the freman, Tatooine has the tusken raiders and jawas.

8. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Cinematic irony.

9. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    The podrace was exciting?

10. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Yep. Although I prefer the theatrical version. It's a tad too long on DVD/Bluray

SlashMan likes this.
  11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It wasn't?

SlashMan likes this.
  12. MandalorianWrath

Feb 17, 2005
    I thought the race was well executed technically, but the build-up to it and its aftermath were very underwhelming. So you're left with a visually stunning scene, an exhilarating sense of speed, but ultimately you just don't care about what happens because you don't really care about Anakin's adversaries. There is no suspense, no sense of threat... Just the thrill of the ride.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    You don't get the same feel from Sebulba's attempts to wreck Anakin's pod, that you might in the Ben-Hur race as the spikes start ripping into his chariot?

14. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Well, it's kind of less exciting when you know who's gonna win.

15. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012

LUKE: No, my father didn't fight in the wars. He was a navigator on a spice freighter.
    BEN: That's what your uncle told you. He didn't hold with your father's ideals. Thought he should have stayed here and not gotten involved.

Random Comments likes this.
  16. MandalorianWrath

Feb 17, 2005
    I personally don't, but that's just me. I like TPM on the whole, but I just think the Tatooine scenes were only used to delay the ending of the film. That's something that you see done in every film of course, but in this case it's far too visible for my tastes. There are no real stakes ever on Tatooine, at least before Maul shows up and fights Qui-Gon, but that's only seconds before they leave the planet.

As for the race itself, I got thrilled by it about as much as when I used to play Star Wars Racer on the N64. The race is exhilarating, but you never really care about how it fits into the overall storyline. You just wait for it to be over to move on to the next level.

17. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    Alexrd: NO

18. The Man Who Sold the Moon

The Man Who Sold the Moon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2012
    IRL considering the size of the galactic population Tatooine should be a tourist paradise after the final death of Palpatine. Everybody would love to see the Lars Hut or at least visit the planet. Let's not forget that Sidrona Diath was from there too.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That race was hard... you basically have to memorize the track. If you hesitate for two seconds Sebulba crashes through you and goes on to win.

20. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Don't let me go down that memory lane...

21. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Podrace is like that speeder bike chase in ROTJ: a burst of action amidst otherwise quiet scenes. It actually moves the plot forward, albeit in a rather contrived fashion.

22. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Yeah. I'm hoping for one small apperence of tattoine in the whole next three films.

But I don't have a beef with how much screen time tattoine has gotten thus far.

23. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I liked the look of Tatooine in TPM. Seeing the poster with young Anakin and a Tatooine-like structure just felt like definitive STAR WARS to me. I thought the location was underused in the Lars Homestead and Tuskens matter.
    As for the podrace, the first time I saw the film I got tired of it by the time C-3PO said "they have to complete two more circuits? Oh dear" but that's probably because I was surprised to see it taking up so much of the plot.

DarthBoba likes this.
  24. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    If Episode IX ends the way I've always believed it should - the final shot being C-3PO & R2-D2 walking off in silhouette against the twin suns of Tatooine, bickering away as always - I'll be a happy man.

Star Wars started there, it should end there.

25. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Episode X, XI and XII?

Random Comments likes this.