main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT How did Luke get to go to Dagobah?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SithLord_1270, Nov 22, 2012.

1. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    Was watching ESB today & a thought occurred: the Alliance is at war, Luke is a hero & leader of its most prestigious squadron, but instead of going to the rendezvous he takes off for Dagobah. What?

I mean how did he get to do that? Did he just ask or did he say," I have some leave Time coming up so I'm going to take some time off n go to this place OB1 told me about."

2. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    He ran off as soon as he could just like he turned off his computer before blowing up the death Star.

3. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I presumed that Luke went to Dagobah straight from Hoth. So basically, in the chaos of the evacuation, he just split to go do his thing.

4. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Was the Rebellion so structured that Luke would have been considered AWOL and penalized? Han could have left if he wanted; he was just letting Rieekan know.

5. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Luke mentions it to Leia in the med bay deleted scene. She's not happy about it, but IIRC, basically tells him "Fine, leave, go do whatever you want, I don't give a @#$%". Technically you could say that was a superior officer granting him permission.

6. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    so you are saying that Luke is a coward?

what?

7. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    OK, so she doesn't actually give him permission, but she doesn't order him to stay, either. Either way, he's informed her that he has to leave.

8. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    The Rebellion isn't foolish enough to charge their #1 guy with awol. The higher ups are old enough to remember his dad and his exploits. A Skywalker getting Jedi training is a good thing for them.

9. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Interesting scene expansion.

10. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    So that scene may be "approval" for Luke?

11. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    I don't think that at that time anyone in the Rebellion knew that he was Anakin Skywalker's son. Only Bail, Breha, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Owen and Beru knew about that, and all but Yoda were dead.

12. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    There's a line cut from the ANH script in the Alliance hanger when Luke, Biggs and Red Leader are talking and Red Leader mentions that he flew with Anakin once and if Luke's half the pilot his Father is, he'll do alright.

In face there's a visible edit hidden by a guy walking in front of the camera. At which point Red Leader says "You'll do alright", which is the tail end of the cut dialogue.

13. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    His last name gives him away. I'm sure Mon Mothma was aware of who Anakin was. She can connect the dots easily enough even though no one knew or cared to speculate in who his mom was

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    If they only knew about his later exploits... :p

15. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Lol. They find out many years later.

16. K'Kruhk

Dec 11, 2011
    I'm sure that was in the 77 original edition, and it was cut exactly because no one was supposed to know about it.

Yes, but the released story in-universe was that Anakin died on Mustafar and that Padme died before her baby was born. We don't know whether Mothma eventually found out or not, since it was supposed to be a very big secret. I'm sure that before Anakin's birth Shmi was not the only human in the galaxy whose surname was 'Skywalker'.

17. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    True but being a very skilled fighter jock from tatooine narrows it down a lot.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    This doesn't make sense. No one was supposed to know that Darth Vader was Anakin, but that doesn't preclude some of them from knowing that Anakin was a pilot. It wasn't in the 1977 edition.

Street of Shadows notwithstanding, the released story in-universe was that Anakin died at the Jedi Temple. Nobody except Obi-Wan, Bail, Palpatine and the droids ( and maybe a few clones ) even knew that Anakin went to Mustafar.

19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Luke's name is distinctive enough that Red Leader (per EU and a deleted scene) knew who his dad was pretty much on the spot. Not to mention that dunking proton torpedoes into the Death Star by appearing to guess ought to have clued them in. :p

rumsmuggler likes this.
  20. K'Kruhk

Dec 11, 2011
    Ok then I was wrong about it being in the 77 edition. I meant that no one was supposed to know that Anakin was Luke's father, per the reasons already given about his 'death' and Padme's death.

21. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

Umm...what? Is this legit?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yes. It's in the script.

23. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Also in the Blu-Ray deleted scenes. Most notable for:

[​IMG]

24. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Hey! kissing also provides immunities against disease. That's why they're in the med center :p

25. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Yep..

DarthBoba likes this.