main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will Disney Shoot the ST Simultaneously???

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Echo-07, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I posted this in the Kasdan thread but it brings up a good question that deserves its own thread.
    ---

Here's the link to a great article explaining why hiring Kasdan and Kinberg now is great for the ST and especially us fans AND it backs up what I have said throughout this thread:

http://www.slashfilm.com/three-writ...does-that-say-about-the-new-star-wars-movies/

Second is consistency. If each screenwriter is writing his movie at the same time, even the briefest communication will help them keep things in line. Plot teases, character arcs, character introductions, deaths. Knowledge of what happens before and after your story is invaluable when writing a chapter. A lot of times when sequels are written long after the original film, things have already occurred that back a screenwriter into a hole. On the flip side, something could happen in a sequel that would have easily been teased and set up in the original, if only everyone knew. It’s called good storytelling. With three screenplays happening congruently, it’s more likely that this will be one smooth story, perfectly defined for three movies.​

Having the story written (or nearly completed) before shooting will make for a better, more coehesive story as I've argued and as argued in the link. However, could Disney be planning to shoot all three movies simultaneously?

I wouldn't rule out the LOTR philosophy here. Shoot all three films simultaneously for releases in 2015, 2016 & 2017. I'm not saying it's guaranteed, but possible. Disney could have one team shoot Episode 7 then have another team shoot Episodes 8 & 9 silmultaneously while 7 is finishing up. Having 3 scripts gives them great advantage and flexibility. Besides, Disney:

1- Is committed to filming 3 SW movies
    2- Would like to realize the return on their investment ASAP
    3- Would make the fans so ecstatic by releasing movies in successive summers
    4- Would allow Disnsey to start on e New series if desired IE The Old Republic

What does the board think?​

2. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    It would make sense for the new trilogy... and would make it more manageable to have that every 2-3 year release schedule, wouldn't it?

3. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Yes, it would. Just think about what we're hearing, albeit rumor. 3 different writers for 3 different scripts, which tell the same story. What really got me thinking is the reports that Kasdan and Kinberg will be producing. I could understand if they hired 3 writers to get a trilogy completed ASAP, but why the producers? Could it be that Kennedy, Kasdan and Kinberg (sounds like a law firm) are planning to shoot each movie independantly?

I'm trying to think like Disney on this. Essentially they have 3 different movies on the slate. Why can't they have 3 teams producing them all simultaneously with Kennedy overseeing continuity? We know they're going to make them so what says they have to wait and film them one after the other?

4. Master Hamahiga

Master Hamahiga Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Shooting simultaneously makes sense if the three scripts are completed at the same time. However, we don't know if this is the case.

5. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012

All of that stuff should be in the treatments already, and I'm assuming that scriptwriters don't deviate from that.

6. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    They would actually be able to save money this way, too. I think this will only work, though, with one director. I can’t imagine three different directors directing three different films that are part of the same series with the same actors all at the same time.

I don't think it will happen, but it is definitely a possibility.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    For no reason, I have a feeling that Ep. 7 will be on it's own & then 8-9 will be shot at once. Usually movies that are shot at once only have a year-long gap between them (see the length between the LOTR flicks). Probably won't put them together in the style Lucas did the prequels, though, like, finish the first shooting of movie, put it together, come back a year later and do reshoots. Too much assembly line to punch these flicks out.

8. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    How much will the budget be? $200m to $300m for each film. So that'd be $600 - $900m for the three films. Can't see them splashing that cash in one go. I can see them releasing the first film seeing how well it does and then filming the other two back to back. I'd prefer them to stick to the traditional schedule if film release film release film release.

9. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    That would actually be neat if and only if they release all three movies at the same time [face_chicken]

10. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    You guys bring up some good points. I think if they shoot at the same time roughjly then they save money. When you ramp up a movie you have to bring the cast together, get a crew and equipment, and rent lots and sound stages. If they filmed simultaneously then they could gather all the necessary elements in one go. So essentially this would be shot like one gigantic film. Actors would constantly be working as well as FX depts etc... It could be done.

Well, Harry Potter wasn';t directed by the same guy was it? I don't know I didn't see them all. But I think it could work to have one team do Episode 7 and then another team do Episodes 8 & 9 while 7 is in post-production. I'm not saying they will but that it's possible. Think about how the last HP and Twilight were done. Essentially two movies filmed at once then released in subsequent years. Same here. Film Ep 7 then 8 & 9 and release in subsequent years. Would really pleasse the fans with less witing and more SW after that.

I'm thinking that's what they'll do.

11. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    There isn't enough time. Episodes 7 has to begin lensing by late 2013 and we know that writers for Kinberg and Kasdan were just selected. You need all 3 scripts if you're going to do what the LOTR and Hobbit productions did and achieve savings. It makes no sense to film the movies CONCURRENTLY as that is not efficient.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    You could be right. But read the whole thread. While Ep 7 is shooting you could have 8 & 9 working separately. ASlso, it was sjust announced recently that Arndt is writing 7. He worked up a treatment for all 3 films. There's sno reason why Kasdan and Kinberg can't get their scripts done shortly after Arndt. It's only been a few weeks, for all we know the scripts could be farther along than we know.

13. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Do you guys remember when the PT was going to be shot back-to-back?

There'll definitely only be one director if this happens, unless something like the Superman debacle takes place.

14. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I don't remember this? I don't recall GL ever planning to shoot all the PT movies back to back because he didn't even have them scripted. I don't remember it that way.

15. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I swear I remember this from around 1995. I think the plan fell apart when was taking too long to write TPM and put the other scripts on hold.

16. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Could very well be. I just don't recall it.

I always thought the PT would have been even better if the scripts were all done beforehand. (I like the PT btw.) And whether or not the films are shot in one go we're going to get a very crisp ST I believe if the writing is complete before filming.

-NaTaLie- likes this.
  17. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I think the prequels not being written simultaneously was more problematic because there was a clear endpoint that the story had to reach. These sequels, OTOH, are more open-ended, and the story can find its own ending--being written simultaneously would be a bonus; for the prequels it should have been a requirement.

I love ROTS, but it feels a little bit like Lucas painted himself into a corner.

fishtailsam and -NaTaLie- like this.
  18. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I like TPM and AOTC but I think ROTS actually can work as a standalone movie since it has the biggest portion of the backstory.

19. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah... RoTS is the backstory for ANH... everything else was just not necessary for the build up to Episode III...

Now, if that holds true... RoTJ alone is the backstory for VII?

As for shooting all three movies as a unit ala Lord of the Rings... it could be a viable thing for them to do, I mean they share most of the props, cast, and set pieces probably so you wouldn't have the hassle that comes from replacing props and so forth. It would be a cheaper way to make a trilogy at least.

20. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    Well, I don't think they'll do it just for the simple fact that they've said they will be releasing a film every 2-3 years. If they filmed them all together it would be like you said, like LOTR and released yearly (which I would prefer) but like you said, I think we could rule that out. I'm sure they considered it but if they were planning on doing it I think they would have said it, and I would also think that includes filming VII separately and VIII and IX back to back as you have suggested.

I think the slightly shorter estimated time between ST episodes than previous SW episodes is just that Disney is planning on running tighter and more streamlined ship than Lucas owned Lucasfilm did.

Also consider the previous 3 year gaps between previous films. You don't notice any real visable aging in older actors but you do in the younger ones. Now we don't know how much time story-wise will pass between episodes (for all we know they could be very short gaps-less than a year each or many years each) but if the story does have younger, perhaps teenage characters, and more than a year between episodes then longer time gaps between shooting schedules might be beneficial as it allows these actors to naturally age. Just a thought.

Echo-07 likes this.
  21. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    It would be cool if they filmed the new trilogy like that. But wouldn't the films feel rushed?

22. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    Did LOTR seemed rushed?

Echo-07 likes this.
  23. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    If they're going with 3 years between Episodes, it will be close but the principle shooting would probably start a few months after each episode is released.

24. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I've been thinking about this, too. Assuming that the rumors are true and Kasdan and Kinberg are involved as producers and screenwriters, it seems like they're looking for diversity in the portrayal of the individual episodes. This, in turn, would suggest that each episode will have its own director (which I'm personally keeping my fingers crossed for).
    What I could see happening, then, is this:

- Lucas, Kennedy, Arndt, Kasdan and Kinberg have story conferences where they put together the story for the entire trilogy.
    - Arndt puts a detailed treatment for the trilogy on paper and pre-production for the whole trilogy (and particularly EpVII) begins.
    - While Arndt gets to work on the script for EpVII, the K's (Kennedy, Kasdan & Kinberg) attach a director to the film and also look for directors who will helm Episodes VIII and IX.
    - The producer trio functions as the creative masterminds of the trilogy. While keeping track of the filming of EpVII, they write scripts for Episodes VIII and IX and when post-production for EpVII commences, the EpVIII director has already begun working on his/her film. The same thing happens later on, with EpIX overlapping EpVIII.

This way, they'll be able to work effectively while keeping the story consistent and giving each episode a character of its own (just as the previous six differ from one another). It would also go hand in hand with GL's notion that the series was becoming kind of like a TV show after ANH, with the producers being in control of the creative process and bringing in different directors and screenwriters for different episodes.
    It might be a bold idea, but it should be doable.

"That means I am in charge here!"
    /LM

gregvader123 and Echo-07 like this.
  25. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    Yes, I think the new trilogy will be filmed back to back, otherwise they wouldn't have hired writers (Kasdan and Kinsberg) for 8-9 this early in the game.

Echo-07 likes this.