main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Episode 7 Special effects: What do you expect/hope for?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Lee_, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I hope they keep everything hushed as much as possible about the movie up until its release. I am going to avoiod reading on the internet for a good period of time as the release date approaches, I want to be surprised about everything, including the special effects.

Krueger and Echo-07 like this.
  2. DarthHumbug

DarthHumbug Jedi Youngling

Nov 12, 2012
    I want it to look absolutely and completely REAL. So real I accept it without a second thought. Like they really took the cameras to Kessel and really filmed two blade fighters chasing a mining ship through the spice tunnels... FOR REAL!

Echo-07 likes this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They should get Guillermo del Toro's makeup company or whatever it's called to perform the makeup for the alien characters. The makeup in Hellboy II was fantastic. Rather not have completely CGI characters unless absolutely necessary.

Echo-07 likes this.
  4. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think it will be much closer to this than anything we have seen; I think they have come far enough with tech to really do a number.

5. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I hear you Lee. I;m the same way but I'll probably be spoiled.

I second this. That's whay i want sets, locations and real actors playing the aliens and as many characters as possible. IF they use CGI characters I don't want to be able to tell.

GDT would be a great choice for director too! He loves SW. Right now I have no idea who it will be though.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I would love Del Toro to direct. I really would. But I'm also afraid he would put his vision of what his Star Wars should be. Actually that might be an alright idea.

7. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    Just watched ROTJ on blu ray and the scenes in space just look so much more real to me than in the PT. The movement of the ships, especially landing looks so much better in the OT. Don't get me wrong, the CG in the PT looked great at times, and they could have a lot more things going on at once but just because you can do it does not mean you should. Watching the scenes on Endor just gave the film a more realistic feeling, and some of the large scale city scenes in the PT just looked bad to me, lots of detail but not real.

8. DarthHumbug

DarthHumbug Jedi Youngling

Nov 12, 2012
    This is because in the OT, while the ships may have been models, they were filmed with real cameras that had real inertia and real forces acting upon them. The cameras couldn't do impossible moves so the moves look totally physically realistic. In the PT, for example in AOTC, when Kenobi is being chased through the asteroid field by Jango Fett, his ship is jinxing this way and that way and bobbing up and down and left and right without any limitations whatsoever, it seems. Your brain knows the difference.

In fact for the ST I would actually suggest they build proper physical simulations into their computer spaceships, and then instead of animating them, actually do simulations of flying and landing them. Like in a computer game, maybe in a cut scene where a building is destroyed, it looks vastly more realistic running through a proper physical simulator than if an animator tried to animate it by hand.

Same with CG characters. Don't animate, simulate!

9. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    So totally reasonable expectations of the good people at ILM. :rolleyes:

10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I'm going to try my best to do this. It will be hard, for sure. When the trailer is finally released, I might watch it once. That's it. I'm certainly not going to click on any websites offering a "frame by frame" analysis (don't know why people do that). Still, I'm sure the masochistic side of me will see or hear something I'll end up regretting.

11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think it is hard to avoid seeking out spoilers, so difficult to avoid learning something you are so curious about. I am going to stay strong though, I really want to be able to enjoy the movie on the day that it comes.

12. Ferus Olin

Ferus Olin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2012
    I personally want to see more practical sets but wouldn't mind if the windows or background areas were CGI. I think panning shots showing planets or cities should be in CGI but where the actor is in the set must have some props not like in ROTS where Ewan McGregor just had green screen surrounding him.

13. Ferus Olin

Ferus Olin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2012
    yeah tbh I think what ILM were trying to do for the Prequels was a tiny bit too ahead for its time. That said the Podrace and Coruscant still amaze me as CGI scenes

14. sashlon1138

sashlon1138 Jedi Knight

Nov 2, 2012
    Don't get me wrong, there are many, many awesome CGI moments in the PT, but they went too far. Especially AOTC, it looked like a Pixar film half the time.

Doug625 likes this.
  15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah. Really seeing the similarity there. :p

16. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Look at that sun in the background, and the way the light hits the ship. How can you say that's not amazing FX?

DarthBoba likes this.
  17. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Whatever works best, nothing that is distracting. I loved the effects in episode 3

18. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    The work that ILM do is jaw dropping. That opening sequence in Episode 3 still ranks as my favourite CG moment ever.
    That being said, I would like to see more sets and animatronics being utilised. CG no matter how good it is, still looks like CG.
    However CG when used in conjunction with real set and animatronics produces the most seemless SFX base to create a film with.

Where the Wild Things Are set the balance perfectly. They did as much as they could with locations and animatronics, and then filled in the weak spots with CG. It produced an almost seemless result.

Lee_ likes this.
  19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    There's alot more sets/miniatures in the prequels than people realize, too.

Darth Chiznuk and kainee like this.
  20. DarthSpaced

DarthSpaced Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2012
    I remember, and I think someone mentioned his name, Ben Snow was working on Ironman 1 or 2, does it matter? and Favreau said he didn't like the CGI suit and preferred the "real" suit.

1 problem, the suit he hated was the real suit and the suit he liked was the CGI one & to his credit I think Favreau admitted to being a cgi racist simply because he thought the way a lot of people posting on this thread do: there's no way it can be as real/good as the real deal simply because it's not real. Yeah, because big hulking machines that stutter when they walk, AT-AT's, look so much more real than the hulking machines of the PT's that move smoothly, the way real machines move.

Darth Chiznuk and kainee like this.
  21. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Couldn't agree more. That space battle was beyond fantastic, and looked awesome out of the windows in the scenes where they are inside Grievous's ship.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    That is what people who work in that field seem to emphasize-seamless blending of the 2 more than most would realize.

DarthBoba likes this.
  23. FryingpoorGreedo

FryingpoorGreedo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2012
    From Star Wars, I expect them to completely push special effects forward, like they always have. Star Wars has always pushed the envelope on movie effects and I expect the tradition of being the best will continue.

Darth Chiznuk , DarthBoba and Alexrd like this.
  24. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Cameras?

I want it to happen IN THE THEATER! FOR REAL!

Darth_Pevra and Death T like this.
  25. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    A SW play? Maybe on Broadway....