main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    *accept it* :p ;)

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  2. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
  3. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    Killer is just one of those names that you figure he will fight his way back to life... like Maul, sorta.

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Which one survived the crash Killer or Engle?

5. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    Engle.
    EDIT: Killer was one of the Z-95 Headhunter pilots.

6. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    And Fives needs to do a back hand spring this season. =D

7. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Major.

No force anticipation equals no chance of deflection, unless he does the helicopter wrist thing with all four blades and gets lucky.

8. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Really!? Then how did Clones managed to evade blaster fire?! Especially those like Rex... :D

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  9. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Dodging blaster bolts is not even close to deflecting them in my book.

10. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Isn't that pretty much the same thing - knowing when to be prepared for a bolt?

11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Compare it to baseball. It's one thing to dodge a baseball coming at you at 100 mph, it's another thing to hit it.

I'm fine with Grievous deflecting bolts, hyper mechanical reflexes and all that. Why even give him a lightsaber or four without giving him this ability.

I am not fine with "normal" humans or other species of similar reflexes and athleticism pulling off this feat. Though it looked cool (they looked cool in general), the guards on Mandalore shouldn't have been able to do it.

EDIT: lol just a thought, maybe the guard who pulled it off is an untrained Force-sensitive?

I've always thought about what an untrained Force-sensitive would be capable of, especially if they were put in a desperate situation.

12. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    If a Jedi can see things before they happen, then I can buy that they aren't actually "fast" but rather can foresee the trajectory of where their opponents will be aiming and might even have their blade in place before the shot is fired, or something like that. They have a supernatural ability to explain that away.

For someone like Grievous, mechanical reflexes or not, it doesn't seem like he should be able to do it IMO. He can't foresee anything and has to simply see the bolt as its being fired and have the speed and coordination to defend himself. I wouldn't think that his reflexes would be a limiting factor so much as his brain would be, since he has to process the trajectory of a bolt and react all within a fraction of a second. For me it would be like seeing someone deflect arrows shot at them with a sword. It's certainly possible:

But while impressive, the arrows still aren't being as fired as fast as they could be, and the rate of fire is slow.

The closer the bolt is fired from, the less time there is to react, which is why the Mandalore guard deflecting the bolts seemed completely absurd since they were so close.

13. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Except they definitely are fast, demonstrated by Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's ridiculous burst of speed in TPM. "Force Speed" shows up in like every Star Wars video game.

Though I haven't read the ROTS novelization, I've heard other people mention that Stover has Kenobi being able to deflect something crazy like 18 bolts per second. Can anyone confirm that?

"Blurring speed" is often used to describe Jedi. Windu, Luke, just about anyone who gets a seriously badass moment.

IIRC, the way Cognus describes the duel between Bane and Zannah made it sound like two people caught in the Tasmanian Devil's tornado. At least I think that's the duel I'm thinking of....

I believe Grievous' brain was also enhanced to adapt to his new body and efficiently use his increased physical abilities.

I believe this was mentioned in The New Essential Guide To Droids.

Esg likes this.
  14. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    That is true...

But for me, gg's deflection ability just doesn't sit right.
    If it did, then Jedi light saber training droids would be unbeatable, and the Republic utterly unstoppable.

15. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I meant in the sense that they can anticipate where a shot will be fired before it happens rather than depending solely on raw speed to react to a shot that has already been fired. I know they otherwise are still very fast, which is why I used quotation marks, but they still have that advantage of foresight that Grievous lacks.

16. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    The ability to anticipate where a shot will get fired is just one way to move fast enough to deflect. Grievous being a cybord I assume has all kinds of enhancements. If you have the reflexes, the instincts, sharp enough hearing, and sharp enough eyesight it would be possible to be fast enough to deflect without some kind of ESP. Its also possible he would have that ability anyways. Some folks thank animals are capable of ESP so maybe some kinds of aliens in SW could. Also, I dunno if Grievous can still get something like an adrenaline rush but there as been alot of research into the way adrenaline can heighten awareness to superhuman levels in certain situations. That could be used to explain the Mando guard. You never know what you can push yourself to do until its life or death.

17. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Oh really?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  18. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't know. I don't think I'll ever be able to get past Grievous (and especially the Mandalorian) deflecting ammunition. Not only does it make blasters seem incredibly useless (why can't they use conventional ammunition that you can't see/deflect/is a lot faster?) But on top of that, for the reason SithStarSlayer mentioned regarding droids. If all it takes is quick reflexes and a sharp eye, it seems like there should be droids more than a match for a Jedi.

I know I've seen occasional discussions regarding to how fast a blaster bolt is actually traveling and if it's actually moving the speed of light or as fast as a bullet and whether it just appears slowed down for a dramatic effect while IU it's traveling remarkably fast. But if some Mandalorian can deflect them from several feet away, it seems like the shots must not be traveling that fast. Makes the weapons seem remarkably stupid, if not for the fact that all sides use these weapons and so it balances out.

Garth Maul and SithStarSlayer like this.
  19. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Being the Third Edge of the Sword has its perks... :p

If all the deflection takes is a lot of training, why don't we see units of warriors who have similar skills to Satine's guards? If Satine's guards are so ridiculously well-trained, why do they get overpowered by some random cops sent to abduct Satine in The Academy? Is there any reason why they were unable to use their super speshul awsum skillz to non-lethally dispatch the beverage smugglers in Corruption rather than let their leader look like a huge hypocrite for allowing Padme and some cops to kill all of them? A slow-moving pressure point on a humanoid body has to be easier to hit than a blaster bolt.

20. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011

It doesn't have to be any kind of training. I'll enterain more corruption. What if the those Mando guards were shooting themselves with some sort of reflex enhancing, muscle enhancing, adrenalinizing sterioid? I would imagine such a thing exists in the GFFA. Then we can go back to enhanced senses and back to the basics of a train the body to train the mind philosophy. And maybe they just didn't like Satine's methods very much. Maybe they joined the gaurds thinking they were going to get to shoot **** up according the brochure and were dissapointed it turn out to be about as exciting as pouring asphalt for a living.

21. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    I think it does exist in the GFFA. Jump to 7:52 in this video:

Notice how an adept Jedi can still get the better of them.

22. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Haha... like the Samurai Champloo break dance fighting in the game.

23. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    what do you think the final scene of the last episode of TCW will be like?

24. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I think this is just more about you hating GG, which I understand completely.

Just because a droid can deflect bolts, doesn't mean they can beat or even compete with Jedi. Doing one thing the Jedi can do doesn't make you the equal of Jedi. There are definitely different levels of skill when it comes to deflecting bolts, with Kenobi on the extreme high end and Grievous presumably on the lower end with the kiddie Jedi.

Absolutely true, but that doesn't mean Grievous can't do it.

I agree that the Mando shouldn't be able to do it.

I don't think it makes blasters useless, because currently only Jedi and a single, absurdly expensive, top of the line cyborg can do it. You can't make an army out of droids on the level of Grievous, that would be way too expensive.

If you couldn't see the ammo, that would be incredibly lame to watch. Being able to deflect the ammo is part of what makes Jedi cool.

I think the blaster bolts are supposed to be traveling at extremely high speeds, much faster than they appear on screen, it's just slowed down for our benefit.

Well, Grievous is more than a match for many Jedi, and I'm sure other droids could be built that would challenge Jedi as well.

That being said, the ability to deflect blaster bolts does not make you a match for a Jedi, as there are varying levels of skill. Plus, Jedi can just pwn you with the Force, as Kenobi did to Grievous in ROTS.

It doesn't make sense, the Mandos shouldn't be able to do it.

Then again, Star Wars has always been extremely inconsistent with these things and follows the "rules" only when it feels like it.

Esg likes this.
  25. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Double post. Lame.