main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion 3D or not 3D, that is the question?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Force_Wielder, Nov 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force_Wielder

Force_Wielder Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I am sure with the push of 3D on the PT and probably the OT coming up that Ep 7 will be released in 3D. Does anyone here really care about 3D? Point me in the right direction if this has already been discussed.

2. princessnikki

princessnikki Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2012
    Talking of 3D....does anyone know if the original movies are still going to be re-released in 3D?

3. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    I've seen some awesome 3D movies (Wreck-It Ralph, Avatar) and some bad 3D (Clash of the Titans, Alice in Wonderland).

Bit Disney 3d has been mostly good. I'll see it in 2d first and 3d second.

4. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I would rather watch in regular first, then try out the 3D.

Can you make old movies into 3D like the OT? I don't know.

5. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Make both.

Personally, I don't care about 3D at all.
    a) technical reasons - I wear glasses, so it's really not very practical to stuff another pair ontop of them.
    b) I actually consider it to be no more than a passing fad, more of a stepping stone towards something better. Real 3D where you don't need to put on special headgear, fullblown holograms and some such. I'll enjoy those very much when they come, but I still want to have the option to watch all my movies in 2D.
    Personally, the uberHD quality 2D movie is a far, far better experience for me than the 3D gimmick.

6. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    No 3D go IMAX

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  7. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002
    Unless they actually FILM in 3d, the way the Hobbit has been filmed, I'll stick to the regular 2D version.

8. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I'm starting to really dislike 3D. I find it uncomfortable (due to wearing glasses underneath) and it tires my eyes. However, Disney have specifically stated they are basing their box office estimates for the new SW films on conservative 3D revenue. IOW, they will definitely be in 3D.

9. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm another glasses wearer. I could barely put on the stupid 3-D glasses (and barely could see out of them) for Star Tours at Disneyland earlier this year. Not fun. Like a lot of Disney rides, I wish they had left the old version that was just a motion simulator with the epic Battle of Yavin fly-through instead of the kiddified 3-D romp with gags like a Wookiee flying at the screen that it now is.

And I hate the 3-D gimmicks. They end up putting in silly pop-out gags that ruin the piece as a seriously-made film. There's an R.L. Stine 3-D attraction at Sea World (a short movie with Christopher Lloyd) that uses the tacky 3-D fly-out comedy gimmicks. That's all it's good for.

And you get scenes in old movies like House of Wax with the surreal segment that goes on and on with the guy with the paddle ball flying at the viewer, as that film had the kitsch '50s 3-D gimmick. The movie really doesn't need it.

This is what you get when filmmakers do 3-D and want to show it off:

2-D is for drama. 3-D is only a tacky novelty for kiddie comedy--and even for that, it sucks. I want the director to be focusing on the dramatic content with the actors and the story, not focused on how he's going to show off 3-D technology.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Hopefully they shoot them in 3D, although Disney has been post-converting all of the Marvel stuff. If they shoot in 3D, I'm there. Just saw Life of Pi and that, my friends, is how you do a friggin 3D movie. Also Avatar, Prometheus, Amazing Spider-Man & Hugo. (and the 3D shot-stuff in Jackass 3D)

11. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    They will be in 3D, I'm pretty sure the initial conference call even stated as much. You guys complaining about wearing glasses should look into the clip on ones. Some theaters sell them for 2 or 3 bucks or you can get a 10 pack on eBay for cheap. I wear them and they are super comfortable.

12. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    I think it is a foregone conclusion that they will be filmed in 3d... there is waaaay to much money on the table for them not to do so. Depending on the quality of the movie I may watch it in 2D and 3D, so that I can compare the two.

13. garrwars

garrwars Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 31, 2011
    Episode 7 will definitely be in 3D which I'm happy about. It should be. The original Star Wars is MEANT for 3D with the trench at the end, it's perfect! Now the question is should I ever see it in 2D at all ever? Avatar was MEANT for 3D, and it looks great in it. I've seen it 3 times, but I've never seen it in 2D.

14. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    not much of a question since I'm pretty sure it'll have a 3d version regardless. That's unless 3D starts to lose massive popularity in the next 2 and half years.

15. Master Hamahiga

Master Hamahiga Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    As long as 2D and 3D versions are both offered then the issue is a moot point.

16. Force_Wielder

Force_Wielder Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I have seen some movies in 3D and I just don't care that much. I saw Phantom Menance in 3D because it was Star Wars and I wasn't impressed. And don't say because it was TPM, it wasn't the movie, it was the quality of the 3D. Maybe if the movie is filmed in 3D it would be ok. I didn't see Avengers in 3D and I was happy with that so 3D isn't that important to me. It just has to be a good story.

17. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    The Avengers, Thor and Captain America were all shot in 2D and converted to 3D after the fact. Avatar, TRON: Legacy and Hugo, OTOH are all native 3D.

18. sidious1000

sidious1000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2001
    I think all disney movies are 3d these days. There's probably a link somewhere that says so.

19. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    3d and if dont want to see it 3d watch it a 2d cinema

20. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    It may as well take advantage of the popular format. They have the ability the film it in 3D from the start, which can be utilized well. I only hope they don't abuse the 3D and still have it be watchable in 2D (having stuff flying at you constantly).

21. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
  22. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I'd bet ANH, ESB and ROTJ will all appear in 2014.

23. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Makes ssnes, right? Someone made a thread about GL's genius -- he knew he was going to have a PT made when he was preparing the other six for 3D. So a great lead in would be to re-release the first 6 chapters leading up to 789.

Now, I just wished they'd re-re-release Ep I. I'd go see it now that I know we have more movies coming!

24. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    As I understand it, the intention is for them to be done in 3D, albeit a post production conversion. I would certainly prefer for them to shoot in 3D however. When done correctly, and if conducive to the importance of visual storytelling (as all Star Wars films are), the results could be impressive. James Cameron and Martin Scorsese proved that the third dimension can have a place in cinematic storytelling as much as sound and color. Hopefully we can have a richer experience seeing the new trilogy done well on 3D as well.

Whether or not the 3D will truly succeed will also depend on the literal compositional choices made by the DP. If they opt for a similar style to the saga (which they should), which involves largely open compositions and an emphasis on background, middle ground, and foreground, then I will be very optimistic.

25. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    The problem with Avatar that it doesn't look nearly as impressive on Blu Ray as it did in 3D. I don't have 3D at home and I want Star Wars to look great. We also need a 2D version for consistency. Of course, I wouldn't mind seeing it in 3D as well :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.