main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Does the "new" stuff take you out of the movie?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I actually welcomed the new stuff b/c I had seen the original stuff so many times that it was neat to see something new. I liked the new dogfights in IV and the the added breadth to Bespin, but the Greedo fiasco & the nitwit showing up at the end of VI really sucks. And by "sucks", I mean sucks.

2. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    Personally, I didnt like the addition of a walking (or slithering) Jabba. That whole scene felt forced and its pretty much the same dialogue as Hans conversation with Greedo... "Even i get boarded sometimes, you think i had a choice?" is repeated 2x. Other than that, i welcome the changes and the fact that they cleaned up the picture a little bit. I love the nostalgic feel of the CT in the unedited versions, the film grain and sound fx, but i am glad they updated them for the blu ray saga release.

3. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    One thing I didn't like what they did was to Jabba. I have the OT on video casset and it's a "special edition". They have a better Jabba, and I like that one. But then later on recently they changed Jabba so he's more...detailed I guess. But his eyes look wierd and he doesn't fit with the set. He looks CGI.

4. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Can someone tell me what the "CT" is? I know what OT, PT, and ST are but not the CT

5. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    sorry I meant OT :)

6. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    I think I've seen some people use "CT" to mean 'classic trilogy'. Just the same thing as OT.

7. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    If you're accustomed to the originals to the point where you know every part, then I'd expect it to be a distraction. But it depends on your reception of the changes; either being amused by the additions or appalled. Seeing the series for the first time? I don't expect people to be "taken out" of the movie by changes they didn't know existed.

I approve of the Jabba scene being added in 1996, it was a real treat for fans to see it for the first time... but in today's day and age, I think it seems more of a contender for a bonus feature (mainly due to redundancy).

8. Jedi Josh Jericho

Jedi Josh Jericho Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2012
    I am getting the Blu-Ray saga set soon, and when i get it, i will still have my original DVD's, so if i fancy going back to the original, i'll get the old DVD out. So it's ok. I'm just excited for the special features.

9. The Crippled God

The Crippled God Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2012
    Most of the changes are painful. I want to throw something at the screen during the re-inserted Jabba scene, for example, or Ghost Hayden,Greedo shoots first or "Prepare the star destroyer to prepare for the preparation of my arrival", Boba Fett, etc. Some I'm fine with (additional dogfighting shots in ANH) and I am not taken out of the movie in the same way. I understand why GL wanted to do it but why did he have to do it :/
    Adding some additional X-wings doesn't change the story or the characterization but most changes this.

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I think even the stuff added to the Battle of Yavin is poor. It stands out (in a bad way) because it just doesn't fit with the rest of the shots. All of the original shots are done from a certain camera angle, from a certain distance, and the added stuff just doesn't conform.

The foreground/background on Bespin doesn't blend well at all imo.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  11. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    I like the new Death Star Explosion.

and we have all heard the complaints about the Hayden/Shaw, so i'm not going to repost my opinion of that.

Some of the 'new' stuff is good, some of it bad, but it depends on the scene.

12. artooo

artooo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    Yes, I always felt this way too.

13. Attariel

Attariel Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    I was really sad when I watched the original three films again recently and I was able to pick out to a T the added material. I almost wish that they had not added anything to the films when the converted them to the newer formats like Blu-ray. ( though the color is a lot less flaky with the new blu-ray disks) I really hated the part in Jaba's palace where the singer alien was changed from the costume and prop version to the digital one, that pissed me off. I hated how it looked with the rest of the scene.

14. Star Wars age 9

Star Wars age 9 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 29, 2012
  15. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    No.

"No"
    /LM

16. hanshotfirst87

hanshotfirst87 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2011
    I watch the Blu Rays and honestly starting to prefer them except minor things i.e. Han shooting first, Jabba unnecessary in ANH and stupid song scene in ROTJ but love better effects and how they updated cloud city.

PoorGreedo likes this.
  17. SevrinThree

SevrinThree Jedi Padawan

Nov 23, 2012
    Original versions all the way. There is such a beautiful, hand-made brillance to them that is shattered with the CGI insertions. Prefer my OT DVD's although I have purchased the Blu-Rays -- just to see the cleaned-up orginal footage. I feel the same way about the new CGI additions to the classic Star Trek episodes. The choices made by the oringal artists working with the tools they had at the time are far more interesting and beat any modern second-guessing or ostensible improvements.

18. Star Wars age 9

Nov 29, 2012
    Thank you. Jesus Christ - thank you for that.

19. SevrinThree

SevrinThree Jedi Padawan

Nov 23, 2012
    You are very welcome! I specifically picked my avatar to honor one of the best shots in Star Wars that was senseless excised. Original cut or NOTHING!!! ; -)

Star Wars age 9 likes this.
  20. Star Wars age 9

Nov 29, 2012
    I love it!
    You know? - I can't even remember for sure if that was actually in the original or not. Isn't that awful? So I'll have to take your word for it.
    I drew it often enough as a kid.

21. SevrinThree

SevrinThree Jedi Padawan

Nov 23, 2012
    I think you are right. I think it's actually a set photo. The shot in the movie I believe is tighter. However, I loved the Tops trading card graphic (another indespensible component of growing up with Star Wars in the '70s) too much to go with the original still from the movie.

22. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Does the new stuff take you out of the movie? HUH? What like would the tractor beam being changed from English to Aurabesh "take me out of the film"? No not really. Man reading some of these posts on here all I can say is there are some real drama queens round here! I mean some people really have that much of a problem with ALL or some of these changes? Hey anybody can think what they want and that is fine. But some of these comments are off the wall! I mean these changes weren't really that bad? Not to me anyway. I just don't understand that train of thought. But I do not want to understand it either.

23. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Regarding Star Wars and Return of the Jedi, most of the added material does take me out of the movie. That Krayt dragon call is so different now I heard myself say, What the?!.

24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Yes, it does. On one hand I can appreciate the attempt at scale on the other it's tacked on.

Sarge and MOC Yak Face like this.
  25. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    To quote A Chorus of Disapproval , "Affirmative!" :p